Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Looks like a Valvetronic Design has a valve controller that works with all exhausts including our stock ones.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks like a Valvetronic Design has a valve controller that works with all exhausts including our stock ones.

Thanks for sharing. This is great info. I’m going to try the exhaust install in upcoming weeks. I did purchase another kit which isn’t as straightforward as this but let’s see if I can make that work before I purchase this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m quite pleased with the build quality, weight savings of the exhaust. I have been chipping away little bit at a time with the install. I feel like I’m 90% complete and hoping to wrap the project by end of this week. Decided to change spark plugs, coils & air-filters while I had the car apart. Also installed new vacuum lines, solenoid and a controller to open and close the valves using a remote which I intend to program with the homelink.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I’m quite pleased with the build quality, weight savings of the exhaust. I have been chipping away little bit at a time with the install. I feel like I’m 90% complete and hoping to wrap the project by end of this week. Decided to change spark plugs, coils & air-filters while I had the car apart. Also installed new vacuum lines, solenoid and a controller to open and close the valves using a remote which I intend to program with the homelink.

Were the plugs and coils any easier to access with the bumper off?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Going into the project, my initial thoughts were this will make it easy but honestly it made little difference.

·
Registered
Audi R8 V10 Coupe 2010 R-Tronic
15 Posts
I was comparing between the TopGear valved exhaust and the REV9 Titanium 3-Inch X-Pipe Non-Valved Resonated exhaust option. Ended up getting the REV9 off eBay and due to the incentive of cheaper cost, titanium constuction (at that price?!!!) and weight savings.

Did the install myself on a Saturday. The bulk of the work actually involved removing the gazillion fasteners holding the rear bumper, heatshield, rear crash bar, wiring harnesses and the brake lights. I started right after sunrise and wrapped up the project just before the clock struck midnight. Probably could have been done faster but I was a one man show and took things slow and relaxed (somehow I enjoyed the entire process). Nearly sprained my back as I wasn't ready for the full weight of the stock exhaust when it (finally) popped free and out towards the rear.

My verdict on the sound? Love it to no end! I opted for the resonated version as I was afraid that the non-resonated type would have been way too loud at any rev range. In my opinion, I made the right choice as it struck a good balance. Idles with a meaty pulsating rumble and growls like a lion the moment you get on the throttle before it peaks off with a F1-style scream as the bass from the lower rev ranges dissipates. Even cold starts have become an event on their own as the carpark suddenly explodes with a loud and angry burble for 15-20 odd seconds. Yes, cabin drone is a bit of an issue in highway cruising situations but I would say that it's bearable due to the intrusion occurring at narrow rev ranges (3-4k RPM?). Here are a few pics of the install and a video link for some sound samples post-installation.

·
Registered
2015 V10 S-tronic
107 Posts
Nice!
I have the SS version of that same unit going on later this week.
I didn't know you could do it without even getting the car on jack stands; every other install thread I've seen has the rear wheels off.
I found another local shop that didn't pop up in my initial search, but they have a lot of Audi experience including both supercharger and TT installs on several R8s so I assume they can handle a catback install. They are quoting me 900$.
The only thing I'm concerned about is that I still don't understand exactly what the "hanger modification" is with the Rev9 units on the facelift cars; I mentioned that and they didn't seem to concerned about it so hopefully not a big deal.

Car sounds great!

·
Registered
Audi R8 V10 Coupe 2010 R-Tronic
15 Posts
Nice!
I have the SS version of that same unit going on later this week.
I didn't know you could do it without even getting the car on jack stands; every other install thread I've seen has the rear wheels off.
I found another local shop that didn't pop up in my initial search, but they have a lot of Audi experience including both supercharger and TT installs on several R8s so I assume they can handle a catback install. They are quoting me 900$.
The only thing I'm concerned about is that I still don't understand exactly what the "hanger modification" is with the Rev9 units on the facelift cars; I mentioned that and they didn't seem to concerned about it so hopefully not a big deal.

Car sounds great!
DVCNick I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the SS version just as much. Oh yes I did in fact get the rear wheels off in order to do the following:

1. To remove fender liner fasteners and liner itself;
2. To unclip rear bumper main electrical harness;
3. To remove about 4 torx screws securing heatshield to bumper;
4. To remove 2 large torx screws holding bumper side wings to upper fender;
5. To remove 2 size 10 nuts securing the tail lights from behind the chassis plate.

I raised and lowered each side upon doing the above things and put the wheels back on as I wanted the car to be at ride height to make the removal of the stock exhaust and heat shield easier.

And I noticed that you're driving the 2015 post-facelift Gen1 so I believe REV9 explicitly mentioned that their exhaust brackets are meant to be plug and play with the pre-facelift versions. Facelifts like yours would require modification of the lower bracket if my memory serves. It's not a simple "bend and hammer" job as I noticed it would require some cutting and welding of the lower brackets.

·
Registered
16 Posts
has this been confirmed to work? I am considering getting the rev9 valvetronic exhaust and getting the valvetronic designs controller

·
Registered
211 Posts

Rev9 is out of the titanium resonated non valved exhaust, so I'll be getting the valved version like you. Any initial thoughts to share?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rev9 is out of the titanium resonated non valved exhaust, so I'll be getting the valved version like you. Any initial thoughts to share?
Man, I am in the same boat as you!
Apparently Rev9 will be sold out of the V8 resonated titanium exhaust (CB-302-TI) for another 6-8 weeks.. I went ahead and bought the valved version (CB-202-TI), along with the Valvetronic Designs controller.
Planning to have everything installed by late next week.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Man, I am in the same boat as you!
Apparently Rev9 will be sold out of the V8 resonated titanium exhaust (CB-302-TI) for another 6-8 weeks.. I went ahead and bought the valved version (CB-202-TI), along with the Valvetronic Designs controller.
Planning to have everything installed by late next week.
Dude, I'm so annoyed because it took me months to decide and when I finally did, they are out! Oh well, I'll probably do the same as you and also get the valve tronic switch.

I just hope the closed valved sound isn't too quiet like our stock exhausts. I currently have the stock exhaust set to always open, so that has been nice, but I want to hear more all the time, so I hope the Rev9 isn't quieter when closed.
Anyway, good luck on the install, would be great to hear another review.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have been going back and forth on the Rev9 titanium valved and Topgear SS valved units for my v8. For those that have picked up the Rev9 titanium valved units, what was your reasoning for picking either the CB-302-Ti vs. the CB-019-Ti? Based purely on the muffler size, I would guess that the CB-019-Ti unit would be louder with the valves closed than the CB-302-Ti? I would also assume that they are the same with the valves open though...any thoughts or feedback from the company that led you to purchasing one Rev9 unit over the other?

·
Registered
31 Posts
With valved closed (quiet mode) it is definitely louder than stock. But NOT obnoxiously loud at all. It sounds what the OEM exhaust should have sounded like. Although I haven’t driven it on long drives yet, it sounds pretty quiet at 80mph on the highway - pretty close to stock. It is louder when you accelerate, but just enough to remind you that you’re in a sports car, and not your wife’s Toyota. At normal in town driving, it just a little louder than stock - maybe 20 percent louder.

·
Registered
41 Posts
With valved closed (quiet mode) it is definitely louder than stock. But NOT obnoxiously loud at all. It sounds what the OEM exhaust should have sounded like. Although I haven’t driven it on long drives yet, it sounds pretty quiet at 80mph on the highway - pretty close to stock. It is louder when you accelerate, but just enough to remind you that you’re in a sports car, and not your wife’s Toyota. At normal in town driving, it just a little louder than stock - maybe 20 percent louder.
Okay, great! And I'm assuming WOT just sounds unreal with the valves open?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts