Audi R8 Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
To tell you the truth, I purchased the valvetronic switches and my exhaust is stuck in the closed position. I haven’t had the time to bring it back to the shop to figure what’s up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
To tell you the truth, I purchased the valvetronic switches and my exhaust is stuck in the closed position. I haven’t had the time to bring it back to the shop to figure what’s up.
Oh ****! Hopefully it's not because Rev9 used inferior valves.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So I tested the valves while behind the car and I definitely hear a minor sound level difference at idle. While driving it seems that it’s louder with valves open but not a huge difference. So I’m not sure what’s going on - they may be intermittently coming on - will need more testing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So I brought it back to the shop. It turns out that the valves do work. The problem was me, or my expectations. I expected a HUGE difference between open and closed. That’s not the case. The valves open are not that much louder than closed. In retrospect, I should have purchased the non-valved version!!

So my conclusion for the Rev9 valved titanium exhaust is valves closed: about 20 percent louder than OEM throughout power range. Valves open at WOT, about 50 percent louder. At normal highway speeds or mid throttle, I would say 20-30 percent louder than OEM with valves open or closed. I drive with valves open now at all times and quite frankly, it’s not that loud.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So I brought it back to the shop. It turns out that the valves do work. The problem was me, or my expectations. I expected a HUGE difference between open and closed. That’s not the case. The valves open are not that much louder than closed. In retrospect, I should have purchased the non-valved version!!

So my conclusion for the Rev9 valved titanium exhaust is valves closed: about 20 percent louder than OEM throughout power range. Valves open at WOT, about 50 percent louder. At normal highway speeds or mid throttle, I would say 20-30 percent louder than OEM with valves open or closed. I drive with valves open now at all times and quite frankly, it’s not that loud.
Thanks for sharing this information. It seems like it would be much louder based on the design. It appears by looking at it that with the valves open the exhaust just goes through an x pipe. I'm not sure how it could get much louder than that.

Was your stock exhaust the sport option with valves as well?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for sharing this information. It seems like it would be much louder based on the design. It appears by looking at it that with the valves open the exhaust just goes through an x pipe. I'm not sure how it could get much louder than that.

Was your stock exhaust the sport option with valves as well?
I believe I had the stock (non-sport) exhaust. So my understanding now is that the Cats keep the exhaust relatively quiet and taking away the mufflers won’t give you a really loud exhaust - just louder than stock. I know other exotics get rid of the cats to get a true loud exhaust, but it’s not recommended for the NA R8.
My other toy is a 60’s muscle car (FlowMasters) and it roars way louder than the no-muffler R8. My expectations were influenced by a big V8 muscle car sound. Apples to Oranges.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Great input in this thread. After much debate, I ended up getting non valved (resonated & titanium) version for my V8 6MT. It's a riot and I feel strikes a great balance between hearing the V8 in all its glory but not overly obnoxious.

Between that and the antigravity battery I just installed, I can feel the weight savings difference in the car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How much did the antigravity battery run you? What type is it?
I’m probably due for a battery change this year.
Great input in this thread. After much debate, I ended up getting non valved (resonated & titanium) version for my V8 6MT. It's a riot and I feel strikes a great balance between hearing the V8 in all its glory but not overly obnoxious.

Between that and the antigravity battery I just installed, I can feel the weight savings difference in the car.

·
Registered
211 Posts
How much did the antigravity battery run you? What type is it?
I’m probably due for a battery change this year.
I recall around $600+, they had a labor day special. I got the H6/30 which replaced my H9 size. But reach out to Ape Factory here on the forum and he can get you set up with a good discount as well. Not going to lie, my front end lifted a few mm when I replaced my OEM battery! And the new one cranks my V8 so fast now, love it!

·
Registered
2008 Audi R8 V8 RT | 2015 BMW M4 DCT
45 Posts
Questions:
  1. Does anyone have any experience comparing the two exhausts?
  2. Is there another valved exhaust in this <$2500 price range to consider?
super late to the party but my 2 cents.. I havent had experience with Topgear but I have the Rev9 Titanium on my 2008 R8 V8. I have put on a quicksilver SS and the Rev9 SS, the titanium makes a difference but its subtle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My car came with an unresonated Milltek exhaust, which I actually don’t mind at all. But I do love the sound of this titanium system and am leaning towards swapping it out.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts