Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed my - new to me -'09 V8 has a reverse camera fitted, but no apparent function when reversing.

Is it fitted to all cars, but then lacking the module, as default? (Does seem like it from the threats I've found).
Screen does not go blank or have any beeps but the reverse sensors when reversing.

Has it been closed out or how would I check for this?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Noticed my - new to me -'09 V8 has a reverse camera fitted, but no apparent function when reversing.

Is it fitted to all cars, but then lacking the module, as default? (Does seem like it from the threats I've found).
Screen does not go blank or have any beeps but the reverse sensors when reversing.

Has it been closed out or how would I check for this?
Do you have any pictures of the camera and head unit (HU), you can share with us?

I'm wondering if, perhaps, a previous owner fitted the camera in conjunction with a replacement head unit, for example, and then replaced the original HU before selling (but left the camera in place, due to the cost/amount of work required to remove it vs. the value of the camera)...?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Looks like the standard camera to me. A non camera spec car wouldn't have the camera fitted, so it might just be a bad connection/fuse issue. I think theres a camera module behind/under the rear shelf/bulkhead.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like the standard camera to me. If the car didn't have a camera from factory then they wouldn't fit the module, so it might just be a bad connection/fuse issue. I think theres a camera module behind/under the rear shelf/bulkhead.
Thanks. Pretty weird then, that I have no response or black screen when reversing, right?
How is the connection to the head unit? Is it a separate connector or part of multi plug connector thing?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm not sure on that. I think the actual camera signal is on a dedicated wire/RCA type connector that comes from a module underneath the rear shelf. What exactly happens when you select reverse? Do you get a beep then a blank screen or nothing happening at all? I take it your reverse sensors work. If your screen is just going blank then I would think it's likely a bad connection.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I've heard of instances where an aftermarket exhaust has been fitted and the heat from it has fried the wiring.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
My camera failed, damaged connection on camera, Audi sell a 5m cable which I bought (not expensive) to replace original.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust on the car?

Mine had the same issue. Turns out the excess heat melted the wiring to the backup camera.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, car is standard exhaust. No black screen or beep. Strange then.
Would I need to remove the bumper to follow the cables? Sounds a bit cumbersome.

I've had the head unit out for a Bluetooth install, and all wires seems good and connected.

Taking the car to get the annoying TPMS sensors fixed (we've tried like four times now), so he might be able to check coding.
I'm thinking it might be coded out, possibly due to a bad connection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
No, car is standard exhaust. No black screen or beep. Strange then.
Would I need to remove the bumper to follow the cables? Sounds a bit cumbersome.

I've had the head unit out for a Bluetooth install, and all wires seems good and connected.

Taking the car to get the annoying TPMS sensors fixed (we've tried like four times now), so he might be able to check coding.
I'm thinking it might be coded out, possibly due to a bad connection

I'd double check the head unit connection, if that's been modified, it maybe there. I've also read on forums people have had the wiring melt from a stock exhaust, so still wouldn't rule that out either. Yes, bumper needs to come off. I paid ~$700 or so at the dealer to get it fixed.

·
Registered
217 Posts
you can also Remove wing unscrew the bolts and pull the piece with the Audi badge back and see if your unplugged .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet. Thanks. Mine has a static wing mounted, so I'll have a look.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Check the fuse first since the camera has one. Look into your manual.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Update here...
Suddenly the camera is working intermittend. I have not had a chance to check wirering, but going through Europe and the alps, it it has started working. Where are connectors on the qiresy? Only behind head unit and then again at the camera behind the bumper? I'm thinking a loose plug must be the culprit

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, I have replaced the camera with a used part that should work. I still get no picture.
When I intermittent got one earlier, it was sketchy at best with distorted image. Guessed it was the camera unit, and replaced.

How is the camera supposed to work? Will it beep when going in reverse? Will it turn on immediately when going in reverse, no matter the state of the head unit?
Maybe a sensor is bad in my car. I'll check behend the rear shelf for anything that looks like a connector to it. Recently removed the CD changer, and saw nothing there..

·
Registered
308 Posts
So, I have replaced the camera with a used part that should work. I still get no picture.
When I intermittent got one earlier, it was sketchy at best with distorted image. Guessed it was the camera unit, and replaced.

How is the camera supposed to work? Will it beep when going in reverse? Will it turn on immediately when going in reverse, no matter the state of the head unit?
Maybe a sensor is bad in my car. I'll check behend the rear shelf for anything that looks like a connector to it. Recently removed the CD changer, and saw nothing there..
Yeah there should be a beep when you go into reverse and then the camera picture should come straight up. Don't think it matters what the head unit is displaying at the time. Its likely that you do just have a bad connection either at the head unit or at the camera module under the rear parcel shelf (I believe there's a camera module under there). Since you replaced the camera unit itself you would have seen any bad connection at that point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You should also be able to activate the camera and parking sensors with the button on the center console while the car is stationary.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My 2014 was recently in the shop for this. Replacing camera didn’t work. They then replaced the camera ecu behind the drivers seat. Programming was required afterwards, and it wouldn’t allow them to program with my Dension bluetooth unit installed. Dension and camera all working now. Here is a pic that may help you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts