Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m fitting an aftermarket reverse camera to my 2010 V10, it’s to an aftermarket head unit (Chinese OEM replica with CarPlay) so wiring is relatively simple.

I have found the reverse lights wiring diagram on here which is great but I can’t find anything on how to access it or how/where to route the wire from the rear to the head unit. Anyone that’s done this mod that has any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm in the process of this too. I picked up the Kufatec cable from them and then the factory control module and camera off eBay.

Any recommendations on which side to run the cable to the rear?

And I know I'll need to make a change with VCDS. Do you have a quick run down on what needs to done there?

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
So I ran it down the drivers side. Not that bad with the engine trim removed. I’m running an aftermarket radio pioneer 4660nex with enfig kit so no coding needed as the car sensed reverse and went to the input.

when using the kufatec kit make sure you get the ground and power right as it had me slowed down for a couple a hours trying to figure out why I had no video.

personally I have a 2010 R8 with backup camera. But my father has a 2012 R8 GT which lacked it which is how I know what is needed.
Total time was almost 8hrs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where did you pick up the ground and power? Did you access the back of the light? Trying to figure out how to get to that without taking the bumper off!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got my power and ground from the radio. Since you have to run the video wire into the car I decided not to take any short cuts.

·
Registered
188 Posts
So I ran it down the drivers side. Not that bad with the engine trim removed.
Thanks for the sanity check. I see a large bundle down the passenger side, but the driver's side seemed to be the direct route instead of zigzagging side to side from the control unit.

Regarding your notes on power, is this tied back to the part of their instructions talking about the line for the RF reversing signal? The say, "If the RFSL PIN is not assigned on the navigation system, a line must be provided between the on-board power supply control unit and Navigation can be placed:" And then they list three variants. Still not sure how to determine which variant I have and how it relates to what they list.

I've never had a car with a reversing camera, but the first time I went to back out of my garage, I suddenly had a desire. ;)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Interesting. Can this be done to mount a front camera (Gen 2)? My solution is to backup for parking but would be helpful with such a low splitter on my car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got my power and ground from the radio. Since you have to run the video wire into the car I decided not to take any short cuts.
Mine’s not OEM so I need to pick up the reverse light power and earth so it switches on according to my instructions. Should be fun trying to access that unless I can find where it goes to the control unit

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine’s not OEM so I need to pick up the reverse light power and earth so it switches on according to my instructions. Should be fun trying to access that unless I can find where it goes to the control unit
your radio is or isn’t oem?

The camera gets power all the time so it can be connected to a switched power.To get the radio to trigger it’s the can bus that’s sends the signal to the radio.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
your radio is or isn’t oem?

The camera gets power all the time so it can be connected to a switched power.To get the radio to trigger it’s the can bus that’s sends the signal to the radio.
It’s a non-OEM head unit and a non-OEM camera. By the looks of the wiring diagram it only gets power when switched by the reversing lights

·
Registered
79 Posts
Then tap into the harness at the tail light. Personally I wouldn’t do that. I’d do it the right way but to each his own.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Then tap into the harness at the tail light. Personally I wouldn’t do that. I’d do it the right way but to each his own.
That’s what I’m trying to figure out, what is the right way to do it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The right way and factory way to do it is it power on by a switched circuit not the backup lights. Since you have to run the video wire from the rear to the radio you might as well run the camera power wire there. Or find a switched circuit from behind the seats. Either is one is fine

the factory camera is triggered by the can bus. Assuming you are using a Maestro RR2 or similar this will still function that way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts