Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Audi R8 GT Spyder
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very privileged to get access to these three amazing cars...
The GT Spyder being my own and the manual being the original press car, as seen on Top Gear – among other places.
The 2020 RWD being an Audi press car on loan to a fellow YouTuber... Who I was "helping" with his filming 😆

I was quite surprised by what I learned about my preferences...
I thought some of you might enjoy the video...
Watch here: youtu.be/r1rLp9WnnVQ

·
Registered
2012 Audi R8 GT Spyder
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree... the drama is what sets the R-Tronic/E-Gear system apart. Nothing wrong with that TBH.
All of the reviews that I've seen that have had the most criticism about the R-Tronic never mention that there's a technique to using it... So, my conclusion is that they were trying to drive it like it was a dual-clutch box and then being disappointed that it didn't work like one.

I do think that the R-Tronic isn't for everyone though... it really depends on what that person wants from the experience, whether they want maximum engagement (i.e. manual), minimum engagement (i.e. S-Tronic) or something that gives you something in between (R-Tronic).

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hi

The R-Tronic is a robust, old technology with somewhat clumsy electronics of the TCU. What I don't like is that when the steering is turned, the clutch slips (parking out of a bay) and when changing gear, the TBs are closed for too long, causing a nodding head effect.

Tom

·
Registered
902 Posts
Great video guys, bang on topic for me.

However not the result I wanted to hear, personally! :)

·
Registered
722 Posts
I went form R to Gated back to R. I agree with the reviewer. You have to actually drive the car and are part of making it work. I just happen to love its characteristics and engagement. Strictly subjective of course but if given the chance, just like learning heel toe for the first time, it is very rewarding and raw, in a time where "supercars" are actually too easy to drive...as crazy as that sounds.

·
Registered
2012 Audi R8 GT Spyder
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi

The R-Tronic is a robust, old technology with somewhat clumsy electronics of the TCU. What I don't like is that when the steering is turned, the clutch slips (parking out of a bay) and when changing gear, the TBs are closed for too long, causing a nodding head effect.

Tom
This is why you lift during the up-shift, to avoid them closing for too long. It results in a much faster shift and eliminates that nodding effect.
It takes some practice to get the technique right. I think I'll be making a video on it soon.

·
Registered
2012 Audi R8 GT Spyder
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, it is.
Ha ha! Well, in some ways yes, but like I said in the video, there is a technique to exploiting it. I think most people are only disappointed in it if they try to use it like it's an automatic or double clutch... When you learn the technique to faster upshifts, getting that right is (almost) as satisfying as a fast upshift in a manual. Depends on what you want, maximum engagement (manual), minimal engagement (S-Tronic) – or something in between (R-Tronic)... In the GT the R-Tronic seems to suit the car.

·
Registered
2012 Audi R8 GT Spyder
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great video guys, bang on topic for me.

However not the result I wanted to hear, personally! :)
Ha ha! Thanks! Yeah – Depends on what you want, maximum engagement (manual), minimal engagement (S-Tronic) – or something in between (R-Tronic).
Personally, in the GT, I really enjoy using it.

·
Registered
2012 Audi R8 GT Spyder
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went form R to Gated back to R. I agree with the reviewer. You have to actually drive the car and are part of making it work. I just happen to love its characteristics and engagement. Strictly subjective of course but if given the chance, just like learning heel toe for the first time, it is very rewarding and raw, in a time where "supercars" are actually too easy to drive...as crazy as that sounds.
Spot on!!! That's exactly how I feel!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I don't think the question should be "Is the R-Tronic really as bad as people say" as much as it should be "Is the S-Tronic as good as people say" and the answer is yes. Yes, the S-Tronic is fantastic. As someone who has test driven a manual and an R-Tronic and currently owns an S-Tronic, it is that good.

The individual purchasing an R-Tronic is not looking to spend facelift money, nor do they want the manual experience. The R-Tronic gets you into an R8 at a reasonable price point and provides a terrific experience. Anyone who says "I like the bucking and the kick I get from the R-Tronic" is simply saying "I am ok with the experience the R-Tronic provides and I see no need to spend more money on an improved driving experience" - And that makes sense.

The individual purchasing a facelift S-Tronic R8 wants everything the R-Tronic models offered with an upgraded transmission and some additional bells and whistles. I've never had any buck, never had to remove my foot from the gas pedal in order to get a smoother shift, never had clunky gear shifts.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I don't think the question should be "Is the R-Tronic really as bad as people say" as much as it should be "Is the S-Tronic as good as people say" and the answer is yes. Yes, the S-Tronic is fantastic. As someone who has test driven a manual and an R-Tronic and currently owns an S-Tronic, it is that good.

The individual purchasing an R-Tronic is not looking to spend facelift money, nor do they want the manual experience. The R-Tronic gets you into an R8 at a reasonable price point and provides a terrific experience. Anyone who says "I like the bucking and the kick I get from the R-Tronic" is simply saying "I am ok with the experience the R-Tronic provides and I see no need to spend more money on an improved driving experience" - And that makes sense.

The individual purchasing a facelift S-Tronic R8 wants everything the R-Tronic models offered with an upgraded transmission and some additional bells and whistles. I've never had any buck, never had to remove my foot from the gas pedal in order to get a smoother shift, never had clunky gear shifts.
Thats alot of assumption...lol. I can assure you that my choice of non face-lift Rtronic had little to do with budget.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
In the R8, I’ve only driven manual (my car) and R-Tronic once on track. It was jerky and slow to shift (lagged). Didn’t particularly care for it. I know there’s a TCU tune, and everyone says you have to let of the gas when you switch gears and drive it like a manual (since it’s a single clutch auto).

I’ve driven plenty of S-Tronics in other cars. Much smoother shifting (no lag) and can be harsh shifting as well (in a good way) when you are pushing them.

I’d say get manual (2006-2012/US) or S-Tronic (14MY and forward).

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
And FWIW, when you’re going full throttle down the straight stretch on track, and up shifting, it’s hard to wrap your mind around lifting off to shift when you don’t have a clutch pedal. All that in my head is connected. I’m more worried about where and how hard I need to start my braking for the upcoming turn and when I need to downshift, and how I need to enter the corner and when to get off the brake and on the gas again.

I’m a track newbie to be sure. But it’s hard to let off the gas to me when you’re using flappy paddles. When all the other cars I drive are DCT.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I can assure everyone that if you learn the Rtronic, it can be very smooth, engaging and fun and will outperform a manual every time. It's a mix of modern vs. classic.....kind of the bridge between the two. I personally prefer it over all three.

The manual will create the most engagement and is unique but is the slowest of the three and the oldest tech of course. Some love it and I enjoyed mine, especially the gated feel and sound of the shifter. But, ultimately I missed the Rtronic and went back.

The rtronic will not outperform the Stronic, but I find the Stronic too sterile, although perfect in almost every way from a strict performance standpoint. If you want lightening quick shifts and a car that feels most like a standard automatic, the S will definitely work.

Once again, all three have their advantages and disadvantages depending on your own subjective needs and style. Anyone who tells you NOT to buy one over the other, or that they know for a fact which is better, should be ignored.

Try all of them, find what fits for your needs and enjoy knowing that you are part of a lucky few blessed to have any of them.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Once again, all three have their advantages and disadvantages depending on your own subjective needs and style. Anyone who tells you NOT to buy one over the other, or that they know for a fact which is better, should be ignored.

Try all of them, find what fits for your needs and enjoy knowing that you are part of a lucky few blessed to have any of them.
This is what it all boils down to, honestly.

There's simply no right answer here - certainly not a right answer that someone ELSE will dictate for you.

Reactions: dertizjos

·
Registered
2007 AUDI R8 (GATED MANUAL)
769 Posts
Enjoyed watching your video OP...thanks for sharing. I’m a bit biased though since i own a gated😊

·
Registered
274 Posts
Very nice overview(y)
And I don't feel the need to defend myself so I probably made the right choice:)

·
Registered
62 Posts

Completely disagree. If the facelift had a r-tronic option, I would have gone for that over s-tronic. You're second para is complete nonsense to me, and quite derogatory.

If I buy a gen 2, it'll be s-tronic, but I think I will look elsewhere at that point. I would buy a facelift, in manual, but far too rare to get hold in a colour scheme I would want.

S-Tronic is lazy and dull imo. I had it on my ttrs and hated it. not engaging. a manual is the true point, but the r-tronic just has something about it to create an experience worthy of a supercar. But you have to learn to use it and use it in it's right setting i.e. as a supercar. If I wanted a refined s-tronic style gearbox, I want it in a Bentley or something to lazy to drive around in.

But, buy what suits you.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts