Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we have numbers from another source.

I don't want to say they are dissapointing since I really thought the motortrend numbers were pessimistic and on a car that wasn't broken in.

They like it and it handles well I just don't understand why it isn't putting up much better numbers than the RS4 with so much less weight and the changes to the powerplant. It isn't meeting the numbers audi set forth, and yes acceleration numbers aren't everything I know but it isn't going to be faster than the carrera S if this is accurate.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=4784

download the data panel to get a nice look at everything

·
Registered
274 Posts
very positive video !

·
Registered
52 Posts
There is a lot of very interesting stuff here in this R&T review.
1) The CD changer/Nav are shown as standard.
2) He is really positive about the R-tronic;
3) The magnetic suspension remarks are positive.
4) The handling is obviously spectactular.
5) Another consistent report of $110K base price.

I too am surprised it didn't do 0 - 60 in 4.1, but the ambient temperature was 36 degree F so maybe the road was cold or the tires not up to temperature.

We will have to wait for another comparison test, hopefully at a track.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Strange data indeed... But, as I was told that NONE of the car magazines did not have official prommision form Audi to measure R8 in LV we need to have some doubt in these numbers...

First-weight!? 3630lb is 1646,5kg!! Did they really measure the weight? If they did-where? R8 is a fat pig according to this article.

Second-0-120mph in 15.3s?! That is very slow since 120mph is 193.12km/h it means that some good RS4 as measured by German AMS or Sport Auto is actually faster till 200km/h then R8!!

Third-gearing... 1. 41mph/66kmh 2. 66mph/106.2kmh 3. 95mph/152,9kmh 4. 123mph/197,9kmh 5. 154mph/247,8kmh 6. 187mph/301kmh
All gears between second and fifth are little bit too short in comparison between our calculation here...

Fourth-test conditions... Temperature in Nevada only 34 F??!! When? Very early in the morning or durning the night? This is just above 1 C!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Thanks for the link Sticky ... another positive review ... :)

They did seem to like it ... although as others are saying, the figures do seem a little odd ... a temperature of 36F is probably of no help to acceleration figures ... and I doubt the altitude of 2550ft helped either ... does anyone know the temperature and altitude figures that apply to the 911 and AMV8 figures as used for comparison ... :confused:

The weight does seem on the high side ... almost as though an adult was still sat in the car ... I know the R8 is not a lightweight car by any stretch of the imagination ... but this does seem quite heavy ... maybe they had the 100litre fuel tank option and it was rather full ... or maybe they'd left some equipment in the boot ... :confused: ... although I doubt they would make such a mistake.

I think the real story will unfold when someone does test against a 911C4S and AMV8 at the same time ... under tha same conditions ... and ideally with the same driver ... if the R8 returns the lowest figures for acceleration then ... well maybe I'll be a little disappointed ... but I'll still be more than happy to own one when mine arives ... :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Strange data indeed... But, as I was told that NONE of the car magazines did not have official prommision form Audi to measure R8 in LV we need to have some doubt in these numbers...

First-weight!? 3630lb is 1646,5kg!! Did they really measure the weight? If they did-where? R8 is a fat pig according to this article.

Second-0-120mph in 15.3s?! That is very slow since 120mph is 193.12km/h it means that some good RS4 as measured by German AMS or Sport Auto is actually faster till 200km/h then R8!!

Third-gearing... 1. 41mph/66kmh 2. 66mph/106.2kmh 3. 95mph/152,9kmh 4. 123mph/197,9kmh 5. 154mph/247,8kmh 6. 187mph/301kmh
All gears between second and fifth are little bit too short in comparison between our calculation here...

Fourth-test conditions... Temperature in Nevada only 34 F??!! When? Very early in the morning or durning the night? This is just above 1 C!!
It gets very cold in the desert during the winter, especially early morning or night.

Cold weather should help times really, cool air generates more power as it is more dense.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Cold weather should help times really, cool air generates more power as it is more dense.
That might seem a reasonable thought ... but cold weather also means cold tarmac, which means les grip ... and high altitude means thinner, less dense, air - which means less power if your thought is correct.

I suspect ... a fully warmed up car on cold tarmac in cold air at altitude ... would return slower acceleration figures than ... a fully warmed up car on hot tarmac at sea level in warm air.

However ... imho ... I suspect that cold tarmac and cold air at altitude, meaning thinner and less dense air, would more than cancel out any benefit that the cold air might provide for acceleration times ... also (still imho), I suspect that cold air at sea level would not overcome the advantage of hot tarmac.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That might seem a reasonable thought ... but cold weather also means cold tarmac, which means les grip ... and high altitude means thinner, less dense, air - which means less power if your thought is correct.

I suspect ... a fully warmed up car on cold tarmac in cold air at altitude ... would return slower acceleration figures than ... a fully warmed up car on hot tarmac at sea level in warm air.

However ... imho ... I suspect that cold tarmac and cold air at altitude, meaning thinner and less dense air, would more than cancel out any benefit that the cold air might provide for acceleration times ... also (still imho), I suspect that cold air at sea level would not overcome the advantage of hot tarmac.
With AWD and the low 0-60 time we see I don't think traction is an issue. Elevation is, but dense air is a bonus, probably cancels out. We need a meteorologist.

·
Registered
840 Posts
With AWD and the low 0-60 time we see I don't think traction is an issue. Elevation is, but dense air is a bonus, probably cancels out. We need a meteorologist.
Indeed ... and maybe we'd need physics wizard too ... but that certainly isn't me ... :p :p :p

·
Registered
617 Posts
"When you get up close and see the carbon-fiber details and the artful taillamp clusters, you know this car is special. The distinctive side element is referred to as a “sideblade” and buyers have the option of body color, carbon fiber, Oxygen Silver or something Audi calls Carbon Sigma, which is like a silver-colored carbon weave."

Obviously the Carbon Sigma in the US will be the silver version and we just get bog standard carbon fiber. What is going on with Audi - specs and options are becoming very misleading, we really need a definative specification along with definate options available from launch. We now spend so much time speculating about what we would like as opposed to what we can have.

Vert frustrating :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Both German AMS and Sport Auto recevied their R8 for full testing...

These results will be published in next 30 days...

And if 0-200km/h is not in less then 15.0s I will not be happy at all.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Another consistent report of $110K base price.
Plus $8k for the R-tronic...I hope their wrong on this point.

Most positive R-tronic comments versus the manual yet:
"The [manual] lever has a nice actuation, but is too clumsy for the engine — the rpm drop faster than an upshift can be performed, making smooth shifting a bit tricky. Clearly Audi invested in R tronic."

·
Registered
183 Posts
Based upon personal experience with the car I'd say the R&T has got it right. The tech guys said the car would 0-60 mph in 4.2. Factor in the altitude and 4.3 seems right.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Regarding R-Tronic... I spoke today personally with German car journalist who was in LV at press presentation. According to him R-Tronic is nearly not as good as F1 system on Ferrari F430 or even e-gear on Gallardo.

He said that manual is a nice choice if YOU KNOW HOW TO DRIVE MANUAL SPORTSCAR. On the other hand he admit that most USA press members liked R-Tronic more(BTW, one of this USA car journalists also admit to him that he "did not drive manual cars that often"!).

In USA more then 90% of all R8 will be R-Tronics...

Back to his impression about R-Tronic-upshifts are clumsy in very slow traffic and you need to modulate the throttle to get it smooth as possible. Downshifts are excellent on the other hand.
Also paddles are in his opinion "too small and attached to the steering wheel-not very nice thing".

But, I will drive R8(with some members here as well) pretty soon as well...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I cannot believe that Audi did not do as well with the R-tronic as Ferrari did with thier second generation system in the 360 eight years ago. And that system was smooth enough for me.

Maybe the journalist was proficient with paddle-shifter cars?

Anyway, sorry to revisit this debate in what is no doubt the most personal preference issue with this car (aside from color!).

·
Registered
564 Posts
But, I will drive R8(with some members here as well) pretty soon as well...
Kreso, where will u drive the R8... ??

how can it be that in belgium a bunch of morons is raping the beauty like this.. and we, the ones already on the waiting list can not even touch it... check this if you got nerves and you like horror: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM2dbobbs_U

·
Registered
647 Posts
Must be a well paid journalist! Kreso, somehow I question your info.
Journalist in car magazine is his second job... And most car journalists from Germany drive more then decent cars(Horst von Saurma for example, but you probably do not know who he is)...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts