Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just completed a 5800 mile road trip in the R8. We drove from So Calif to Charleston, SC and back. The car ran great with no problems. Gas mileage for the total trip was 20.4 mpg. I had the oil changed before the trip and did not have to add any.

The R8 created a lot of interest. Lots of camera phones and thumbs-up. Great car for a road trip.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I drove with my R8 3 times back and forth between Boston and Montreal. Simply amazing on the highway and extremely comfortable. Also got 2 speeding ticket. :p

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Hey Hovy don't you use RADAR detection??:eek:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hey Hovy don't you use RADAR detection??:eek:
I don't use those anymore. Got about 3-4 during the past years. None of them really worked well. Beeped crazy for no reason or didn't beep when had to; pilled up tickets and license suspension due to that. I have a lighter foot now and started getting less tickets.

Suggest me one if you know a good one. No hardwire though. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Can't recommend. I trust my eyes more .I have had two tickets lately also.Speeding (photo enforcement in AZ.)in my truck, in traffic ,never passing anyone.185.00 and does'nt go on record.One in R 8 for exiting car pool lane illegally. Traffic school in O.C. here I come!:) Did ALMOST get cited for almost passing an Arizona Highway patrol car at 100 MPH. He was in slow lane.The good brakes kept me from looking too stupid. Then it was just a matter of seconds till he pulled me over.I lied and said that my Cruise controll was set at 79 MPH in that 75 MPH area. I was very,very lucky to slide on that one.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I did a road trip that was almost as long as OP. The R8 is as comfortable a ride as you will ever find in my opinion. I too received a speeding ticket and barely avoided a second, and this was with a radar detector. The State Troopers are wise to radar detectors. They keep them off until they see someone they want to "light up". Of course they will light up an R8 whenever they see one. I came over a crest of a hill and there he was. Before I could react, he turned on his radar and it was over. From then on, I decided to slow down wherever there was a potential for an approaching car to appear out of no where and surprise me. This technique saved me from another ticket a couple of days later.

Radar detectors are useless when you are trapped and surprised that way.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I agree, nothing like your eyes. The most expensive speeding ticket I had was for 1365$ in Montreal. I was not going that fast: 160km/h (100mph) on a 70km/h (45mph) on a zone considered a highway!!! I didn't even think one could get a ticket for over 1000$.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Davey Dee, I do have a problem with the seat bolsters being a little too aggresive. Except for that the R8 is very comfortable. We drove between 600 and 700 miles most days. I drove the total distance except for about 200 miles one of the days.

We have made a couple of other cross country road trips with a 2004 Corvette. The R8 created a lot more attention than the Corvette. The handling and response of the R8 is far superior.

I didn't have any problem with cops, but I only drove about 5 over. Incidently, west Texas has an 80 mph speed limit for about 450 miles between San Antonio and El Paso.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Speaking of the seat bolster... my charcoal black drivers seat is fading just a little bit.No matter how hard I try not to ,I still rub the bolster a little bit on entry and exit.Only at home though cuz my garage is real packed. I am sure there is a fix ,just have'nt decided on the right product or person to help me on this one.:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Harrison,
For what it's worth, I have a technique for entry and exit. I put my right hand on the steering wheel at about the 5:00 o'clock position and my left hand on the door arm rest. Then I can take most of my weight off the seat. Seems to help on bolster wear.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I do do that on the road but when I park in the garage I can only open the door 12".Very tight ...things are gonna change soon .I will kick out the other car.:) Oh,and I grab the wheel at 12 :00 and just lift.:) I will try 5: 00 though Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree, nothing like your eyes. The most expensive speeding ticket I had was for 1365$ in Montreal. I was not going that fast: 160km/h (100mph) on a 70km/h (45mph) on a zone considered a highway!!! I didn't even think one could get a ticket for over 1000$.
Ville-Marie?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ville-Marie?
Don't know what's it's called. (Ville-Marie?Decarie?)

It was at the the fork downtown/pont champlain, Atwater level.

I gave my US license. Only had to pay the ticket. No points off.

Freaking SQ! :mad:

·
Registered
761 Posts
That would be Decarie which was my other guess! Yeah they're such bastards!
Yes. Worst part was that the SQ woman was in her car with nothing pointing at me and she was stationary. I should have floored it and hide somewhere once entering Atwater or Guy. :D

Oh well ... don't we love Montreal.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I am going to get some protection...Driving at nite without is just too **** risky.It's only at nite that I have problems with Johnny Law !!:eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts