Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rumor that the new RS5 will come with a 450hp version of the RS4 V8. Any thoughts about the R8 matching the hp? I can't see their halo car having less hp than the RS5...

·
Registered
718 Posts
R8 V8 and the V10 already have less power than the RS6 (580 bhp as far as I recall ?).

But, to answer your question, the V10 seems likely to be around 525 bhp, so it will have more Oomph.

Overheating has been a significant problem in R8 development - several cars caught fire. This is why there is no turbo version at present, and V10 is normally aspirated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
R8 V8 and the V10 already have less power than the RS6 (580 bhp as far as I recall ?).

But, to answer your question, the V10 seems likely to be around 525 bhp, so it will have more Oomph.

Overheating has been a significant problem in R8 development - several cars caught fire. This is why there is no turbo version at present, and V10 is normally aspirated.
Hrmm, not sure what you mean; I guess I was getting at the fact that if the new RS5 is going to have a tweaked version of the R8 V8 engine, does it make sense to have Audi continue with two different lines? 450hp is still a significant delta between the R8 V10's 525hp

·
Registered
57 Posts
I read the Car magazine and Autozeitung today and it looks like the RS5 will get the 4.2l V8 with a twin-turbo. 450hp, more torque and 4.5s from 0-100k (0-62mph), 20in wheel (optional) and a new double clutch transmission.. (and like on the S5, an MMI compatible with ipod, memory seats etc..).

Definitely the current R8 has a bit of room for improvement.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Official Audi says the 4.2 FSi Twin Turbo producing approx 450 bhp.

I don't think you could fit the turbos in the R8 - rememebr the whole back end had to be completely remade fro the V12 diesel.

·
Registered
943 Posts

I don't think you could fit the turbos in the R8 - rememebr the whole back end had to be completely remade fro the V12 diesel.
I think you could. You can fit twin turbos in a Gallardo, so why not in the R8?

·
Registered
183 Posts
As good as the RS5 will be, it simply will not match the sophistication of the hand built, all aluminum (and lighter) R8. I have a R8 - V10 on order (no production date yet) but the weight penalty of a V10 may off-set any significant performance gains… so I may just order a 2010 R8 V8 which will have all of the electronic updates my current 2008 R8 lacks.

·
Registered
175 Posts

Twin turbos and only an extra 30HP ... just proves that Audi know the reality of the RS4 V8 engine ...

My Dyno run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uM8jpQoEfI

·
Registered
943 Posts
As good as the RS5 will be, it simply will not match the sophistication of the hand built, all aluminum (and lighter) R8. I have a R8 - V10 on order (no production date yet) but the weight penalty of a V10 may off-set any significant performance gains… so I may just order a 2010 R8 V8 which will have all of the electronic updates my current 2008 R8 lacks.
No way. The weight gain would have to be extreme to offset 100+ hp and 80+ tq. We're talking 25-30% gains and there is no way that power/weight can remain the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts