Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone actually driven both back to back? If so, what's your thoughts on it?

·
Registered
604 Posts
A number of us did on a trackday in the UK last year. To be honest I liked both.

I didn't think that the R-Tronic was so much better to want me to pay so much more for it.

I guess if you want to do a lot of trackdays it might be worth it.

I went for manual

·
Registered
104 Posts
I drove both several times each over two days in Las Vegas during the VIP Exclusive Drive in Feb 2007. I ordered and received the R-Tronic and could not be more pleased. I drive the car exactly like it had a MT but no clutch to be bothered with. In addition the R-Tronic shifts down for me and if I want to be aggressive the computer rev matches so I don't have any worries. Sounds like a stick, acts like a stick just better IMHO, and the R-Tronic shifts so much faster than the 6MT there is no comparison. The R-Tronic is much more enjoyable in city traffic with no compromise. Would not change a thing!

Reactions: AUDI_R8

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just loved the clacking sound the manual so much I couldn't be bothered to consider anything else.

Vrooooom! Clack! Vroooooooom! Clack! Vrooooooooooooooooom!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have no experience driving the R-Tronic, but considered both when ordering, and actually wound up changing my mind from the R-Tronic to the manual. And I couldn't be happier. So with the caveat that I am 1005 sure the R-Tronic is awesome, two things to know/consider about the manual:

1. It is not a heavy clutch, making the car pretty easy to drive in traffic if you are used to a manual (I live in NYC, so have plenty of experience with that as well!).

2. The gated shifter (the looks, the sound, the feel, etc.) is a centerpiece of "automotive violence" that, at least for me, grounds the luxurious interior and is a constant reminder of what is lurking right behind you. Even when driving around in a relatively civilized fashion.

YMMV. My 2-cents. A friend will be taking delivery of an R-Tronic soon, so if we have a chance to Pepsi-challenge them, I'll post any additional impressions.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
has anyone driven the E-gear in the Gallardos? I hated it and vowed not to go back....my dealer wouldn't have both for me to test drive, so I'm going to have to base my decision on the feedback I get from here. I also have a M6 and the shifts are pretty quick, but jerky if it is on "D"rive mode....anyone can make a similar comparison between the M6 smg and the rtronic? Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi there , posted on this subject b4 on another thread. I drove both back to back at UK Audi track day. I liked both. The uk press had slagged off the R tronic and I expected it to be agricultural. Not so!! I had two issues. I couldn't get to grips with the paddles turning with the wheel. Fine on a track but I felt it could be a bit annoying parking etc. My bigger issue was with the stick shift. To me you want to pull back to upshift and push forward to downshift. The system is the other way round and I had a whoopsie on track as a result, changing down instead of up:eek: .Glad it wasnt my own car!! Other than that Rtronic was great.I Liked the auto rev blip on downshift .Didn't drive it in traffic tho' so can't comment on that.
Manual shift was and still is a dream to drive. I went for manual. The 6 speed open gate is brilliant and £5000 cheaper!. As one of the other guys said VROOM.CLACK.VROOM.CLACK... it's great. I would say manual mate!:D :cool:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Have 1200 miles on my manual R8...the gate is NO problem...indeed the mechanical function is "sweet"--the gears mesh seamlessly and unlike a Ferrari, 1st to 2nd is possible even dead cold. The throttle, shifter, and clutch interface is silky smooth allowing quick up/down shifts the equal of any 911's owned in the last 30 years.
Paddle-shifter cars owned previously are a Gallardo SE, an F355 GTB and an F360 CS. Those transmissions could be "jerky" under light throttle-loadings (street-use)...on a track they were faultless. My current Ferrari (a 599GTB) has the F1 transmission and is more sorted than the previous mentions.
BUT...
I have not driven the Audi R-tronic. It may be the match or better than the current Ferrari offering. I just knew I wanted a manual R8. It was not a bad decision.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Manual all the way. R-Tronic is basically dead as are all sequential manuals(e-gear, F1 or SMGIII). BMW just introduced DSG style M-DKG gearbox(7speed) as option for new M3.
My Audi friend told me that R8(all versions-according to plans there WILL be three versions) will receive S-Tronic with 7speed in next two years(as R-Tronic replacement). Just keep in mind that R8 V12 TDI Concept is manual ONLY since that Getrag gearbox can not be used as sequential manual(R-Trononic).

Also IMO resale value of R8s with R-Tronic will suffer after 7speed S-Tronic surface in next two years.
Only if you really do not know how to shift go for R-Tronic.

BTW, R8 V10 will according to my info be introduced as manual only at first. In late 2009 all R8s will receive 7speed S-Tronic as an additional transmission...

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
It's a very personal decision at the end of the day, but personally I find sequential manuals used in manual mode (not the god awful faux auto modes) allow for a different style of driving always delivering the exact gear at the exact time with both hands on the wheel.

On twisty roads, that elevates the driving experience far more than stirring a stick does for me personally.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just being driven around by a friend's R-tronic today and I have to say that I am not very impressed. It's not jerky but I think I will enjoy the car alot more if it is a manual, which is what I have on order.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
randombloke, since you have the m6, how would you say it compares to the rtronic?

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
They felt very similar indeed when I test drove the r-tronic, although I only tried manual paddle shifting as that is all I use in the m6.

For anyone who has never driven a sequential manual before, taking a short test drive isn't going to give a real feel for what it's like to live with.

I bought an smg m3 a few years back without a test drive - for the first 2 weeks I thought I'd made a big mistake with it, but after the second week it all clicked into place and now I'd never go back to a stick/clutch manual if there is a decent sequential manual on offer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have to agree, the R Tronic does take some getting used to!

You can make it change very smoothly in auto mode by pre-empting the change and backing off very slightly. It is aggresive in manual mode which it should be. It's also a doddle to drive in town and queing traffic which surely is a real plus for most of us here!

Correct me if I'm wrong, the manual is a "Fly by wire" shift connection anyhow? Is the clutch?

Andy M

1 - 14 of 14 Posts