Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 09 Daytona Grey R8 delivered this morning and I have a question about the rtronic...what gear position do you guys leave it in when you park and turn off the engine. The manual doesn't specifically say other than the engine can be started in different positions. My dealer suggested leaving it in reverse, but you can also leave it in M 1 or neutral, all with the parking brake applied. Does it matter if it is parked on a grade, etc. Maybe a basic question but your experience will help me:)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Congrats on the new R8. Don't forget to post pics.

I have 09 RTronic. If I leave it in neutral and turn off engine it will display a caution advising to put into gear or car may roll. When you restart car it defaults to N. The one thing that I don't like is if you take your foot off the brake in gear, about 10 seconds later it defaults to N.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I leave mine in gear as per the **** annoying caution warning chimey thing when I park it.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Just got my 09 Daytona Grey R8 delivered this morning and I have a question about the rtronic...what gear position do you guys leave it in when you park and turn off the engine. The manual doesn't specifically say other than the engine can be started in different positions. My dealer suggested leaving it in reverse, but you can also leave it in M 1 or neutral, all with the parking brake applied. Does it matter if it is parked on a grade, etc. Maybe a basic question but your experience will help me:)
I think it is a warning for litigious countries, I leave mine in neutral and apply the handbrake. When I went on the driving day, the Audi guys did advise NOT to use the handbrake if you have been thrashing it as the handbrake on very hots disks can warp the disks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think it is a warning for litigious countries, I leave mine in neutral and apply the handbrake. When I went on the driving day, the Audi guys did advise NOT to use the handbrake if you have been thrashing it as the handbrake on very hots disks can warp the disks.
Litigious, synonymous with the great U.S.A. :(

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
I engage the park brake and put it in M1. If leaving the park brake engaged after driving the car will damage the brakes Audi needs to provide us with an alternative to using the park brake...don't ya think?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't think this is any different than any other car, in that regard. If you track the car, the brakes will be very hot, and pplying the parking brake can warp the rotors. For most circumstances, not a problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I leave mine in M1 and apply parking brake, do not want to risk a roll. Good point about rotor warping, this is rarely an issue but one to be aware of.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I engage the park brake and put it in M1. If leaving the park brake engaged after driving the car will damage the brakes Audi needs to provide us with an alternative to using the park brake...don't ya think?
mngolfer1 - The issue only arises if you track the car or drive it VERY hard (i.e enough for you to be able to smell the brake pads and tires when you get out)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts