Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are people getting on with Rtronic after a few months? Personally - i like it better and better. Originally I found the transition from 1 to 2 a little slurred but I have since discovered if you rev a little before the shift the change is seamless. No lumpiness now. BTW what rev ranges do you tend to drive in?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I love my R-Tronic! As you stated, it gets better and better. Tried different shifting patterns until I found the ones I like, run in the 3,000 to 5,000 rpm range to realize the maximum symphony from my Milltek exhaust. Mo manual will ever shift as fast as the R-Tronic and driving the R8 with the R-Tronic is effortless. Downshifts automatically, rev matches when driving with spirit, I use the stick always, in fact I have never used the paddles.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Have there been any Rtronic software updates since the UK launch?
My car is going in on Thursday for the software upgrade. Will post after with results.

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi guys,
what i didn't realize was that in the r-tronic,
the shift pattern is "+" for up and "-" for down.
this makes sense logically,
however the functionality doesn't work in practice.
I own a bmw tiptronic and the "earlier" models had it the same way. It wasn't until later that all the models were upgraded to have Down = "+" and Up = "-"

here is why,
during acceleration, inertia pushes your body back to your seat, hence if your hand is on the shifter, you are inclined to pull back on it. So if Pull = "-" as it is now, that means while acelerating you are actually more likely to put your car in a lower gear (which is not a good idea)...but if it was the other way around Pull = "+" then you are more likely to change to the next higher gear the correct method.
Just like if you are braking, inertia moves ur body forward and makes your hand want to push the shifter forward. so as you are slowing down you want to push your shifter forward to change to a lower gear (engine braking)

also if you ever see rally cars...they also have it as Down = "+" and Up = "-"

i hope this makes sense...
but at least the R8 has the paddle shifters :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know what you mean. I thought at first that the forward movement on the stick should drop gear, and with backward movement raise the gear. However after a few days/weeks it is no longer a problem. Only ever mis-shifted once as a result of getting the forward/back movement wrong.

Personally I prefer the stick as opposed to the paddles as I don't like the fixed position of the paddles on the wheel.

·
Registered
604 Posts
You need to drive at quarter to 3 and don't take your hands off - al la R8 Training day. - I still can't quite manage it for roundabouts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi guys,
what i didn't realize was that in the r-tronic,
the shift pattern is "+" for up and "-" for down.
this makes sense logically,
however the functionality doesn't work in practice.
I own a bmw tiptronic and the "earlier" models had it the same way. It wasn't until later that all the models were upgraded to have Down = "+" and Up = "-"

here is why,
during acceleration, inertia pushes your body back to your seat, hence if your hand is on the shifter, you are inclined to pull back on it. So if Pull = "-" as it is now, that means while acelerating you are actually more likely to put your car in a lower gear (which is not a good idea)...but if it was the other way around Pull = "+" then you are more likely to change to the next higher gear the correct method.
Just like if you are braking, inertia moves ur body forward and makes your hand want to push the shifter forward. so as you are slowing down you want to push your shifter forward to change to a lower gear (engine braking)

also if you ever see rally cars...they also have it as Down = "+" and Up = "-"

i hope this makes sense...
but at least the R8 has the paddle shifters :)
I totally agree. This should be the other way around: up: -, down: +
This is absolutely counterintuitive.
On another note: I am also surprised there are no START button to start the engine. More emotional than turning the key. Hmmm... what else: Head-up display on such a car would have been great as well (like on the M5/6).
There is not much else to say apart from that really...

·
Registered
156 Posts
i'm glad you guys all agree with me =)
seems like bmw realized their mistake and changed the shift pattern functionality, hopefully audi does the same..
maybe an email to them is in order.

Almost all exotic automobile paddle shifters are fixed, and the reason for this is because, during turning, the driver is not supposed to downshift to upset the balance of the car, you're supposed to downshift before the turn, not during. The bmw smg is one exception...go figure...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am also surprised there are no START button to start the engine. More emotional than turning the key. Hmmm... what else: Head-up display on such a car would have been great as well (like on the M5/6).
There is not much else to say apart from that really...

i am pretty positive that audi will have this function added to their next batch of r8's just like how the steering wheel is on the R8 v12 TDI version.
it's just a matter of time..
this feature i believe was just introduced to the s5 model lineup and will soon trickle up the line...although i think it should've started from the r8 and trickle down;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I kinda prefer using my gear stick a la Touring car driver style to the paddles tbh!! But do agree that pulling to go up a gear is more intuitive.

·
Registered
156 Posts
well i know that in the bmw, it's just a simple snip and switching of the wires that allowed for shifting the other way....

All R-tronic owners...let's send a feedback email out to upgrade this function. =) so that by the time i get my order fulfilled
the shifting will be upgraded to the more intuitive way...hehe

·
Registered
347 Posts
well i know that in the bmw, it's just a simple snip and switching of the wires that allowed for shifting the other way....

All R-tronic owners...let's send a feedback email out to upgrade this function. =) so that by the time i get my order fulfilled
the shifting will be upgraded to the more intuitive way...hehe
Sounds cool. Re-wired it and put some + - stickers on top.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sounds cool. Re-wired it and put some + - stickers on top.
well that would be cool, but it'll also look pretty ghetto with stickers...hehe
i actually ordered a whole new shift cover assembly that has the reverse patterns to make it look as stock as possible on the bmw.

i'm pretty sure the shift function is an easy fix on the audi as well...
the question is, how easy is it to open up the center console? :eek:

·
Registered
347 Posts
well that would be cool, but it'll also look pretty ghetto with stickers...hehe
i actually ordered a whole new shift cover assembly that has the reverse patterns to make it look as stock as possible on the bmw.

i'm pretty sure the shift function is an easy fix on the audi as well...
the question is, how easy is it to open up the center console? :eek:
Open, switch then replace with a CF cover!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts