Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious what you guys think it costs to run your R8 per month or year? I have not done any detailed thinking on this issue because I just love the car and pay what I need to pay, but there are some months where I kind of scratch my head and say to myself, "wow, an old supercar really does cost a lot!".

This Quarter is an example where I'm spending $6,600 on necessary repairs and maintenance even though I have a Fidelity Platinum Warranty. I had a month last year where AC and struts went out that would have cost well over 10k if I didn't have the warranty. I'm not including gas, depreciation, registration, insurance and tons of other costs in this little analysis. I have a small chip in the windshield that I guess one day will need to be repaired.

HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK IT COSTS TO OWN YOUR R8?

Last 3 Mo's R8 Costs
Breaks $ 3,500
Tires $ 1,300
Tire Blow $ 800
50k service $ 1,000
Total last 3 mo's $ 6,600
Excluded gas, insurance, deprec

·
Premium Member
4,746 Posts
It probably looks like a curve - getting more expensive as the car ages.

In my first 4 years of ownership, it was "free" - well, not quite since I paid $1,080 for Audi Care to cover the first 4 years of services. I want to say this was supposed to work out to be something like a $600 savings over paying for each service individually.

However, those services definitely get more expensive. Last year's bill was ~$700, and my car just completed service today for the 6 year service (I had deferred from the fall due to pandemic picking up and the car being stored for the winter anyway) - $2k! Granted, this service was a big one and included stuff like spark plugs, engine air filters, etc.

But, aside from regularly scheduled maintenance, you have the wear-and-tear items that tend to go after several years - brakes, clutch & flywheel, shocks, tires, etc. Each of those jobs can range from a measly $1,500 for tires to many thousands.

If you're under warranty, then stuff like A/C, oil leaks, etc., get covered - but let's just say that a typical extended warranty will mean around $1k/year (which may be very generous in some cases).

So, I'm going to say that a younger R8 (0 - 4 years old) is going to be very affordable - maybe $500 - $2k per year depending upon what pops up. At 4 - 8 years old, I'm going to guess it's somewhere in the $1.5k - $3k per year ballpark. And beyond that, my wild guess is something along the lines of $2k - $4k per year.

If I calculate my own personal costs, it looks something like the below. I'm going to include "Everything R8" related here, but I'll then go back and pull out costs that aren't explicitly necessary to maintain the car. Expenses I would have incurred but didn't due to warranty will be included with an asterisk and then also pulled out.

YearDescriptionCostCost / Year over 6 years
12015 R8 V10 Purchase$191,847
Audi Care$1,080
Tire and Wheel Hazard Insurance (5 years)$1,861
Full Paint Correct and XPEL Ultimate PPF$9,200
OEM Luggage$4,920
2Service (included in Audi Care Year 1)$0
3Service (included in Audi Care Year 1)$0
PZero Tires & Installation (Estimated)$1,500
4Service (included in Audi Care Year 1)$0
Engine Failure (Estimated - under warranty)$55,000*
Audi Pure Protection Platinum ($0 ded. / 100k miles / 10 year)$5,200
5Service$687
Michelin PS4S Tires$1,297
6Service$1,958
Taxes, Gas, and Insurance
6 Years Insurance (Estimated @ avg. of $1,200/yr)$7,200
6 Years of CT Property Tax (Estimated @ avg. $3.5k/year)$21,000
6 Years of Gas (Estimated at $3.5/gallon, 3k miles/yr, 20 mi/gal.)$3,150
Total Ownership Costs to Date:$305,900$50,983/yr
Total Ownership Minus Warranty Covered Engine Claim$250,900$41,816/yr
Total Minus Non-Maintenance Items$43,072$7,178/yr
- Car($191,847)
- Tire and Wheel Protection($1,861)
- Full Paint Correction & PPF($9,200)
- OEM Luggage($4,920)
Total Minus CT Property Taxes$22,072$3,678/yr
- CT Property Taxes($21,000)

OK, so the above, I believe, gives a good representation of 6.5 years of ownership - closer to 7 now - for an R8 from new. I chose to incrementally remove costs at the end to show how the yearly outlook would change with those considerations.

So, in the worst case hypothetical situation, the R8, all in, COULD have cost me $305,900. But because my biggest issue, an engine failure, was covered under warranty, the real out-of-pocket expenses came to around $250,900 over the past 6.5 years. Further, if I remove stuff that isn't "necessary" (like tire and wheel protection, PPF, and luggage), along with the car, itself, it brings my total "operating expenses" to around $43,072 over 6.5 years - or $7,178 per year. I then further removed CT Property Tax since this is not the case elsewhere in our country (thanks CT!), which brings the total 6.5 year operating expenses to around $22,072, or $3,678/year.

I expect that number will climb as the car gets older, however. You'll notice, my car has had very little go wrong (aside from one giant claim) - but if you start tagging in big-ticket maintenance items in the next several years, it's not hard to see how that number could become substantially higher. And it will happen - it's just a matter of time. Given that my car is a 2015 (the "latest" model year for Gen-1), I would expect this is already the case on models several years older - facing brakes, clutches, etc.

All said and done, however, it's all worth it. The most important thing to controlling costs over the long run is probably a good warranty. For the wear and tear items, you just need to bake them into the equation, along with services.

Reactions: mhenry

·
Registered
Still searching..
32 Posts
It probably looks like a curve - getting more expensive as the car ages.

In my first 4 years of ownership, it was "free" - well, not quite since I paid $1,080 for Audi Care to cover the first 4 years of services. I want to say this was supposed to work out to be something like a $600 savings over paying for each service individually.

However, those services definitely get more expensive. Last year's bill was ~$700, and my car just completed service today for the 6 year service (I had deferred from the fall due to pandemic picking up and the car being stored for the winter anyway) - $2k! Granted, this service was a big one and included stuff like spark plugs, engine air filters, etc.

But, aside from regularly scheduled maintenance, you have the wear-and-tear items that tend to go after several years - brakes, clutch & flywheel, shocks, tires, etc. Each of those jobs can range from a measly $1,500 for tires to many thousands.

If you're under warranty, then stuff like A/C, oil leaks, etc., get covered - but let's just say that a typical extended warranty will mean around $1k/year (which may be very generous in some cases).

So, I'm going to say that a younger R8 (0 - 4 years old) is going to be very affordable - maybe $500 - $2k per year depending upon what pops up. At 4 - 8 years old, I'm going to guess it's somewhere in the $1.5k - $3k per year ballpark. And beyond that, my wild guess is something along the lines of $2k - $4k per year.

If I calculate my own personal costs, it looks something like the below. I'm going to include "Everything R8" related here, but I'll then go back and pull out costs that aren't explicitly necessary to maintain the car. Expenses I would have incurred but didn't due to warranty will be included with an asterisk and then also pulled out.

YearDescriptionCostCost / Year over 6 years
12015 R8 V10 Purchase$191,847
Audi Care$1,080
Tire and Wheel Hazard Insurance (5 years)$1,861
Full Paint Correct and XPEL Ultimate PPF$9,200
OEM Luggage$4,920
2Service (included in Audi Care Year 1)$0
3Service (included in Audi Care Year 1)$0
PZero Tires & Installation (Estimated)$1,500
4Service (included in Audi Care Year 1)$0
Engine Failure (Estimated - under warranty)$55,000*
Audi Pure Protection Platinum ($0 ded. / 100k miles / 10 year)$5,200
5Service$687
Michelin PS4S Tires$1,297
6Service$1,958
Taxes, Gas, and Insurance
6 Years Insurance (Estimated @ avg. of $1,200/yr)$7,200
6 Years of CT Property Tax (Estimated @ avg. $3.5k/year)$21,000
6 Years of Gas (Estimated at $3.5/gallon, 3k miles/yr, 20 mi/gal.)$3,150
Total Ownership Costs to Date:$305,900$50,983/yr
Total Ownership Minus Warranty Covered Engine Claim$250,900$41,816/yr
Total Minus Non-Maintenance Items$43,072$7,178/yr
- Car($191,847)
- Tire and Wheel Protection($1,861)
- Full Paint Correction & PPF($9,200)
- OEM Luggage($4,920)
Total Minus CT Property Taxes$22,072$3,678/yr
- CT Property Taxes($21,000)

OK, so the above, I believe, gives a good representation of 6.5 years of ownership - closer to 7 now - for an R8 from new. I chose to incrementally remove costs at the end to show how the yearly outlook would change with those considerations.

So, in the worst case hypothetical situation, the R8, all in, COULD have cost me $305,900. But because my biggest issue, an engine failure, was covered under warranty, the real out-of-pocket expenses came to around $250,900 over the past 6.5 years. Further, if I remove stuff that isn't "necessary" (like tire and wheel protection, PPF, and luggage), along with the car, itself, it brings my total "operating expenses" to around $43,072 over 6.5 years - or $7,178 per year. I then further removed CT Property Tax since this is not the case elsewhere in our country (thanks CT!), which brings the total 6.5 year operating expenses to around $22,072, or $3,678/year.

I expect that number will climb as the car gets older, however. You'll notice, my car has had very little go wrong (aside from one giant claim) - but if you start tagging in big-ticket maintenance items in the next several years, it's not hard to see how that number could become substantially higher. And it will happen - it's just a matter of time. Given that my car is a 2015 (the "latest" model year for Gen-1), I would expect this is already the case on models several years older - facing brakes, clutches, etc.

All said and done, however, it's all worth it. The most important thing to controlling costs over the long run is probably a good warranty. For the wear and tear items, you just need to bake them into the equation, along with services.
This was extremely helpful. Thank you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will also say that I am a big believer in the Audi Care packages for someone like myself who values having the dealer maintain the car, but is also a bit price sensitive. I know those two things don't really go together very well. However, the Audi Care package I bought paid for about $4,500 in service costs and I only paid $2,000 or so for it because I paid in advance. Audi sent me a card in the mail about 6 months ago offering a big discount on the Audi Care and so I called the dealer and they were surprised it was being sold so low.

I think if you buy during a sale and keep the car for the term of the plan, then its a great deal for service at the dealer. My guess is their numbers guys figure they can lure you in with the Audi Care and then upsell you on things you may not necessarily need. Id bet they also assume they are building loyal customers the more they get you in the dealer. I know that the audi dealer I go to is truly exceptional. The service is amazing, they don't seem to lie and they treat me well. That means a lot to me as a customer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will also say that I am a big believer in the Audi Care packages for someone like myself who values having the dealer maintain the car, but is also a bit price sensitive. I know those two things don't really go together very well. However, the Audi Care package I bought paid for about $4,500 in service costs and I only paid $2,000 or so for it because I paid in advance. Audi sent me a card in the mail about 6 months ago offering a big discount on the Audi Care and so I called the dealer and they were surprised it was being sold so low.

I think if you buy during a sale and keep the car for the term of the plan, then its a great deal for service at the dealer. My guess is their numbers guys figure they can lure you in with the Audi Care and then upsell you on things you may not necessarily need. Id bet they also assume they are building loyal customers the more they get you in the dealer. I know that the audi dealer I go to is truly exceptional. The service is amazing, they don't seem to lie and they treat me well. That means a lot to me as a customer.
Do you know if Audi Care is transferrable if selling the car?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, Audi care transfers with the car.

My fidelity warranty only transfers with the car if it is a private sale and there is not a dealer involved.

·
Premium Member
4,746 Posts
You had to pay Connecticut 21k to own it?! **** Connecticut geez
Yes, and that's on top of the ~$12,500 in sales tax when I bought it. So, technically the State of CT has made ~$33,500 in tax off my R8 ownership to date.

Us fine residents of CT pay annual tax on all of our cars. They apply the mil-rate of your town and tax you on the assessed value as if it were like your house. So, if your mil rate, for instance, is 24 ($24 tax per $1,000 of assessed value), and they believe your car is worth $150,000, you'd pay $3,600 of tax for the year. And good luck getting them to "depreciate" the value in line with the market - it doesn't happen (for obvious reasons).

Once upon a time, the argument made sense when CT focused more on "consumption" taxes versus income taxes. Now, with a top rate of 6.99% state income tax, it's hardly a defensible position. Add it to a 6.35% sales tax, and some of the highest property taxes in the nation, and it helps explain why so many are leaving the state. The only people coming are those from over the border in NY, because NY is just that much worse.

CT rant over. :)

·
Premium Member
4,746 Posts

Agreed on Audi Care!

I got the first 4 years of services covered for a mere $1,080. I'm certain it would have been far more if I paid for those individually - as I said, I think the sales rep told me it worked out to something like $600 in savings, but it could have been (and suspect it was) far more.

So you've been able to purchase Audi Care for later services, as well? I was (maybe mistakenly) under the impression this was only for the first 4 years. I'd gladly pay in advance for the next 4 years if the savings worked out in my favor again.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, you can buy audi care later in the game. I bought my 2014 r8 v8 coupe in 2018 with 8k miles on it. I got the flyer in the mail for audi care in December of 2020 with a number of different audi care offers. Since my car had about 40,000 miles on it at the time I received the flyer, I bought the audo care package that covered the 55k and 65k services. I think it was 2k for both these services with audi care. I just got the 55k service today and am getting new tires on the car as we speak!

Audi dealer wanted wanted way too much for tires so I came to my local tire dealer that I've been using for 20 years.
20210501_144821.jpg

·
Registered
487 Posts
So fidelity covers bigger items. Struts ac compressor what about leaks of any kind... oil?

Audi care is just pre purchasing services like the 40-55-64k services and oil changes? At a discounted rate?

What does a typical oil change cost on an r8 gen 1 facelift??? Audi care covers this ir no?

So other than the obvious like gas, insurance...

What do you spend on the services.

Brakes 3500 someone mentioned
Oil changes?
Any other yearly service.
The big services other than the 65k have been done on the car I’m looking at and they also did an oil change .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Coming Soon: Gen 2 R8 Twin Turbo
21 Posts
So I am still learning, what are the best warranty companies to purchase coverage on a used 2017-2018 R8 when buying used?

·
Premium Member
4,746 Posts
So I am still learning, what are the best warranty companies to purchase coverage on a used 2017-2018 R8 when buying used?
The two most common would be Fidelity Platinum and Audi Pure Protection Platinum - both exclusionary warranties, and both with good track records here.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Steved. Yes, audi care is prepurchasing the services at a discount. It can save money and they have sales occasionally for even bigger discounts. I got about 60% off on the 55k and 65k services by using audi care.

I'm not sure if fidelity covers leaks, but they have a great reputation and the plan has saved me a ton of money already and I can't recommend it enough. I think most forum members agree. It paid my ac compresser and three struts already. I think that would have been over 10k bill. I'm constantly forgetting prices though so would have to refer to my old posts to get correct numbers.

I have been quoted from 350 to 475 for an oil change at the dealer. I never checked an indi shop.

Audi dealer quoted me around 4500 for front breaks and calipers which are supposed to be changed at the same time. Not sure what they quoted for the rears.

I've been through a few sets of tires as if I get a nail, I don't want to patch or plug and you can't rotate tires either.

I've also heard we get more cracks in windshield due to low car but not sure.

·
Registered
487 Posts
@Steved. Yes, audi care is prepurchasing the services at a discount. It can save money and they have sales occasionally for even bigger discounts. I got about 60% off on the 55k and 65k services by using audi care.

I'm not sure if fidelity covers leaks, but they have a great reputation and the plan has saved me a ton of money already and I can't recommend it enough. I think most forum members agree. It paid my ac compresser and three struts already. I think that would have been over 10k bill. I'm constantly forgetting prices though so would have to refer to my old posts to get correct numbers.

I have been quoted from 350 to 475 for an oil change at the dealer. I never checked an indi shop.

Audi dealer quoted me around 4500 for front breaks and calipers which are supposed to be changed at the same time. Not sure what they quoted for the rears.

I've been through a few sets of tires as if I get a nail, I don't want to patch or plug and you can't rotate tires either.

Thanks. Wow 4500 for fronts only. Geez... I thought I might have called a dealer and they said 3500 from and rear for brakes and rotors..... I was trying to compare against my s5 which I think was 1/2 the cost. Did you really mean calipers?

350-450 for oil change ....not terrible

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Ok

was this with only Audi care or with both Audi care and fidelity? Also how much is the Audi care platinum?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Steved I meant to say rotors.

@r8 marine. I think you are confusing the two things, or I am not being clear. Let me try to do a better job.

Audi Care is paying for maintenance in advance and they have several Audi Care packages depending on the age and mileage of your car. I paid about $2,000 about 6 months ago for a Audi Care package that coved the 55k and 65k services. These two services, without the audi care package, would have cost me over $4,000, so i decided to pay for them in advance and get a great discount. I bought the package during some end of the year sale that audi had.

Fidelity Platinum is the warranty I bought on my car in 2018 when I purchased the car. It is a 2014 model year and had 8k miles on it when I bought it. I paid about $4,500 for the warranty at the time of purchase and now my car has about 50k miles on it. In the 3 years and 42k miles I've put on my car, I have made two warranty claims under the Fidelity Plan. One was for a new AC Compressor and the other was for 3 mag rides. They paid both without a fight and I think those two things would have cost me $13k or more had I not had the warranty. My warranty was for 10 years and 100,000 miles, so I still have 50,000 miles and 7 years left of the warranty. I think it was a great deal. It only has a $100 deductible each time I use it.

·
Registered
487 Posts

@r8 marine. I think you are confusing the two things, or I am not being clear. Let me try to do a better job.

Audi Care is paying for maintenance in advance and they have several Audi Care packages depending on the age and mileage of your car. I paid about $2,000 about 6 months ago for a Audi Care package that coved the 55k and 65k services. These two services, without the audi care package, would have cost me over $4,000, so i decided to pay for them in advance and get a great discount. I bought the package during some end of the year sale that audi had.

Fidelity Platinum is the warranty I bought on my car in 2018 when I purchased the car. It is a 2014 model year and had 8k miles on it when I bought it. I paid about $4,500 for the warranty at the time of purchase and now my car has about 50k miles on it. In the 3 years and 42k miles I've put on my car, I have made two warranty claims under the Fidelity Plan. One was for a new AC Compressor and the other was for 3 mag rides. They paid both without a fight and I think those two things would have cost me $13k or more had I not had the warranty. My warranty was for 10 years and 100,000 miles, so I still have 50,000 miles and 7 years left of the warranty. I think it was a great deal. It only has a $100 deductible each time I use it.
That’s an amazing deal on the fidelity warranty. I can tell you that for a 2014 with 24 k miles on it the price I received was

3 36,000 $3893
4 48,000 $5463
5 60,000 $6792

That’s with a 250 deductible. Again, I’m sure that they pay for themselves if you have one of the know major issues and it sounds like you had both. But your price and miles...amazing. Prices were better mos ago when I was looking when r8 numbers were much lower. So everything went up.... a lot.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts

Holy crap, you explained it perfectly that time and made it crystal clear. I know what I need to do when I get this baby, thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts