Audi R8 Forums banner
181 - 200 of 213 Posts

· Registered
365 Posts
I love reading the updates on this thread. If I had the time I would love to do a project like this. My only criticism is your avatar is upside down - I'm not sure it this was done on purpose and it will get flipped over once you're done! :)

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
I was much encouraged by this post. I am currently in the middle of a (now) 4 day (should have been 1) job. Replacing my wife's Kia Stinger springs with lowering springs and changing her rotors to Girodisc along with some EBC yellow pads all the way around.

It's easy to get discouraged with what we think will be "simple" jobs when they turn out to be "not so simple".

Can we work-around and figure it out... sure... but after 59 years of life and a LOT of practice, I still set my expectations WAY too HIGH.. ha hahahhah

Ok, down to the the shop below....
Thank you so much. You are an encouragement to me too. I am looking to focus on this (R8 project) for a week straight pretty soon, so I hope I can get through a large section.
I have only recently bit off more than I can chew (last several years). I have my special needs child to thank for that! She forced us into a predicament that MADE us bite off more than we can chew. Since her passing I have written a couple books, and still felt the itch to "do more". Some call it "free time", but I look back on all of the time I have wasted and feel it is time to catch up... so as you said: "Down to the shop below" (only one step for me!)

pics of your completed project?

JB

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
I think a good backup for you is to get an aftermarket ECU and hire a tuner to help you sort out the electronics. And yes the FWD shaft can come out of the transmission. To do it properly you will need to tear down the transmission, otherwise an angle grinder can do quick work on the piece of the shaft that sticks out of the bell housing.

Good luck with this monster project!
Thanks!
I have considered that. I have a number of a local guy when the time comes for programming.

JB

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
When you have taken everything apart, which already is a major achievement, you will be left with an aluminium space frame which should be your first goal..
The next step is guessing in the dark for the moment.
Good luck (y)

Pieter
Yes. I bought more of a "kit car" that needs some disassembly for sure! So far I haven't founds any cracks or other problems.
I think the whole thing is a shot in the dark! I might needs a bigger flashlight!

thanks,

JB

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
I love reading the updates on this thread. If I had the time I would love to do a project like this. My only criticism is your avatar is upside down - I'm not sure it this was done on purpose and it will get flipped over once you're done! :)
Well, if you don't have time, find a friend, and have them do it! (plenty of opportunity on copart right now!) Thanks for the support!

Concerning the "avatar", I took the picture "upside down" (It really showed it rusty in that light) and then flipped it in my image bank on the computer. I don't know why the forum flipped it back upside down. I just left it rather than tinkering with it, and thought "let's just see who notices." But I like your idea. IF/WHEN we get it running again, then flip it over!

thanks, It has been a slow week on the car, but got some temporary/maybe permanent seats picked up along my way. Right now they are sitting in the living room and the kids love sitting on them to read and "play car." They sure smell better than the original ones!

JB

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
On a sentimental note it is my daughter's 8th birthday tomorrow. She is a "pi-baby" (π = 3.1415 etc) She was born on 3-14-15. Instead of cake, we have pie! When the car came she was exactly the same height as the car, so we got a picture... very precious.
Anyway, she gave me this little note to remind me of her (Rosie's) 8th birthday. Then she pointed out the little R8 on the note, complete with a classic rabbit picture.
She often complains that she can't "sit in the front with daddy" when we go for a date in the Cooper, but I told her, that maybe daddy will get the other care "done" in time to have a date with her (Shamrock Shake at Mc.Ds!) before too long. Then, she will have to sit in the front! except for the second picture.... hmmmm?
What do you guys think about that?

Handwriting Gesture Happy Font Writing

the dilemma (yes this is in our R8s!):

Font News Signage Rectangle Paper

· Registered
1,463 Posts
Thank you so much. You are an encouragement to me too. I am looking to focus on this (R8 project) for a week straight pretty soon, so I hope I can get through a large section.
I have only recently bit off more than I can chew (last several years). I have my special needs child to thank for that! She forced us into a predicament that MADE us bite off more than we can chew. Since her passing I have written a couple books, and still felt the itch to "do more". Some call it "free time", but I look back on all of the time I have wasted and feel it is time to catch up... so as you said: "Down to the shop below" (only one step for me!)

pics of your completed project?

JB
I'm editing the video now, it will be on YT @blacktopmods :) It may take a while there is a LOT of video.

Kia Stinger GT2 Mods:
  • Ultimate Performance Down pipe (high flow cats) & Mid Pipe
  • Ark Exhaust (sounds about 1000% better than stock)
  • K&N Cold air intake
  • Wagner High Performance Intercooler (huge!)
  • Thick Sway Bars (front and back - not as planted as the R8, but close and infinitely better than stock)
  • JB4 Tune (amazing difference for a off the shelf box)
  • Girodisc rotors (all around)
  • Yellow Stuff EBC pads (all around)
  • Lowering springs (Eibach - all around)

Reactions: Trev450

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
I'm editing the video now, it will be on YT @blacktopmods :) It may take a while there is a LOT of video.

Kia Stinger GT2 Mods:
  • Ultimate Performance Down pipe (high flow cats) & Mid Pipe
  • Ark Exhaust (sounds about 1000% better than stock)
  • K&N Cold air intake
  • Wagner High Performance Intercooler (huge!)
  • Thick Sway Bars (front and back - not as planted as the R8, but close and infinitely better than stock)
  • JB4 Tune (amazing difference for a off the shelf box)
  • Girodisc rotors (all around)
  • Yellow Stuff EBC pads (all around)
  • Lowering springs (Eibach - all around)
Sounds good. I looked over your YT channel, and will be checking in from time to time to see and update. I am dreading the video editing myself when I get going, it has been a few years since I have done it.

JB

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
It has been vacuumed since this picture.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Automotive design

Now... for the bad news, as we all suspected. The engine WILL have to come out. That is not bad news to me as much as just more work. But again, I am in no hurry.
Here is the tell tale: the exhaust "sloshes", and the left exhaust (hard to tell in the picture, so I drew it in) has salt residue on the header.
Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Gas Muffler

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Here is the real treat for you all. I was doodling at work and came up with a logo for the prospective channel series, and I have my first reply to the thread James88 to thank. He declared the R8 as a treasure, and mine as a "sunken treasure," so without any further ado, here it is:

Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Font Gas

· Registered
1,016 Posts
You won’t be able to reuse the exhaust (assuming you have some sort of emission regulations in your state.) but I don’t think that is the bad news, but an indication for the bad news. You’ll have to take both the transmission and the engine out and rebuild them. That is a massive job.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
You won’t be able to reuse the exhaust (assuming you have some sort of emission regulations in your state.) but I don’t think that is the bad news, but an indication for the bad news. You’ll have to take both the transmission and the engine out and rebuild them. That is a massive job.
Yeppers, you are correct! Engine and trans WILL be coming out. Which reminds me (thank you for reminding me), what exactly IS the stock exhaust made of? It has serious "rust" characteristics, but the magnet will NOT stick to it. Just another head scratcher.

Automotive tire Artifact Tread Tire Gas

· Registered
900 Posts
Smiles are nice. Thank you.

Figure taking the engine etc. out and tearing them down is less headache and better outcomes than thinking you don't have to and finding you really did, which we all know is the reality on something like this. Figure you're in so deep at this point, what's another few weeks of labor? ;)

I think I've seen the exhaust described as stainless. I'd wager a variant with more carbon and a lower chromium content, which would probably give it better strength/less brittle, but not as corrosion resistant. In my experience with rigging on sailboats, if going from an older rig done in 304 to 316 stainless, you go up a size to account for the strength differences in the material.

· Registered
1,958 Posts
Jeremy, can you describe a bit of your history with fixing things? I mean, were you ever a mechanic professionally? Or are you just a guy who likes fixing things? Do you have a huge set of tools that basically can get 99% of this job done?

Some of us have zero desire or knowledge to do this kind of thing and I'm curious what past experiences gave you the skills necessary to undertake this project.

I own one hammer and one multipurpose screwdriver and that's it. I'm just always blown away by what so many members on the forum can do to and with their cars. No one has been as crazy as you though from what I can tell. And I mean that in a good way.

181 - 200 of 213 Posts