Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
When I do it on mine, it flashes up a list of mine and my neighbours addresses. Never tried it on another postcode :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine only allows partial postcode entry - eg AL10 9

I can't enter the last 2 digits at that point...

·
Registered
718 Posts
That's correct. But, it then gives you the list of streets in that postcode. Select the street and house number and it will take you to the front door !

Effectively, entering all postcode digits (as some hand held units do) just narrows down the number of streets available.

It is just a different way off doing it, but just as effective.

The DVD also covers all of Europe, noot just UK.

Enjoy.....

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's correct. But, it then gives you the list of streets in that postcode. Select the street and house number and it will take you to the front door !

Effectively, entering all postcode digits (as some hand held units do) just narrows down the number of streets available.

It is just a different way off doing it, but just as effective.

The DVD also covers all of Europe, noot just UK.

Enjoy.....
Hmmm. I was hoping for a full postcode system, which my Range Rover manages quite happily. I disagree that it is just as effective, since a postcode narrows down much further, and a full postcode rarely covers more than 1 road, so you can simply enter the full postcode as a destination with absolute accuracy.

The street I wanted to go to last night wasn't on the map. In fact my own road isn't on the map, but the Range Rover sat nav will still accept the postcode and routing stops at the closest point from a road which IS covered. If you don't know the area you are plotting to, and don't know any surrounding roads, it isn't helpful to be asked for an alternative street, when the one you are driving to isn't covered.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have to agree - Full postcode entry should be standard - to much fannying around to get to an address.

·
Registered
718 Posts
What I meant is that you have to take one extra step

- Part postcode - select road (and or intersection) - house number,

instead of

- Full postcode - house number.

Yes, one step longer, but you should still end up with the same result. If you are in a small road that is not on the map DVD, I agree that this can cause problems !
However, if you "flag" it and store as a destination when you are sitting in your drivway, it will memorise GPS co-ordinates and guide you back to this exact point.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I meant is that you have to take one extra step

- Part postcode - select road (and or intersection) - house number,

instead of

- Full postcode - house number.

Yes, one step longer, but you should still end up with the same result. If you are in a small road that is not on the map DVD, I agree that this can cause problems !
However, if you "flag" it and store as a destination when you are sitting in your drivway, it will memorise GPS co-ordinates and guide you back to this exact point.
If you're looking for a company, you may not even have a house number. In those situations, the full postcode is accurate to within a very short distance, irrespective of street name OR house number. And if you don't know the area, you've no idea which intersection to head for...

So actually, you have:

- Full Postcode - House number (preferred)

or

- Partial Poscode - Street Name - House number (on R8, but only if you are lucky)

or

- Check Google Maps to get exact street information, note down any useful local landmarks, local intersections etc - Take a print out so you can see the map - Partial Postcode - Street Name - bring up the cross-hairs to match the printout you've got from Google (on R8, if information is missing)

As you won't know whether your road, house number etc are on the Audi database until you get in the car, it is necessary to at least make a cursory check of a map before even getting in the car, as the short-form of the postcode is simply not accurate enough to get you close enough to your destination to reliably be able to find it.

OK, maybe I've taken that to a slight extreme, but with TomTom and with my RRS, I can put a full postcode in and rely on the destination to be within a few metres of the map location, with the Audi, I need more information at hand - as well as the postcode, I also need to remember the street and the house number, or the street and nearest intersection. It is more information to INPUT, but when you are used to just committing a postcode to memory, it is also more information to REMEMBER.

For £1800, I think its fucking rubbish to be honest.

·
Registered
134 Posts
jampoTT;10549 For £1800 said:
Hee hee :) Here's another mystery......The button on the steering wheel for voice commands. I always entertain myself by pushing the button and sayin "Knickers off", just to hear the snooty bird say " I'm sorry" Simple things eh?
Sometimes she tells me the phone book is empty, when she's fed up with my smutty requests! How do you transfer the numbers from the phone, to the car?
I use a Nokia N95.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Erm... when I paired my Samsung i600 (Windows Mobile 6 Smartphone) it simply pulled off the entire phonebook and recently dialled number list, and does so every time it connects - so you can browse through the phone's phonebook.

Strange, then, that the car itself doesn't store these numbers in its own directory. I've not found a way to do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The reason your car doesn't store your phone numbers is for security reasons. If someone else was using the car or in it would you want them to have access to your numbers? Plus you would also have to remember to delete them all if you sold the car.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I accept that is is not as good if you are used to using full postcode and company names with TomTom or Google maps.

I very much agree £1800 is a rip off, especially when the same system is available on A3 or A4 at considerably less.

I am used to the system since I've come from RS4 and RS6, so I'm quite happy with it......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts