Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Porsche just announced that they control 75% of Vow and they will seek a domination agreement. This means that they have essentially taken Vow over and thus taken over Audi as well. We all know the first thing they will do is kill the R8 so get one while you can… they might be worth less in two years but they will be worth more in 20…

·
Registered
494 Posts
What is a domination agreement? (in business, not in interpersonal relationships:) ) You are speculating right? Or is there something concrete we can read about their plans for the R8.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I'm really not convinced porsche would pull the plug on the r8 - the r8 is a halo car for the entire brand.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I agree on the halo comment. Just yesterday I had two BMW owners in a single parking lot openly expressing all kinds of enthusiasm and admiration for the R8. Over-the-top positive. A couple of days ago, a guy in a 540 was thumbs-upping me after seeing the R8. Prior to the R8, how many BMW owners would react this way to an Audi? How many of them will now check out the whole line before they buy their next car, that would never have given Audi a chance prior to the R8? I think it would be hugely shortsighted of Porsche to make such a decision.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
The rs4 was the first car that caused me to cast my eyes beyond bimmerland and give serious consideration to audis offerings.

The r8 is a big step up in terms of getting interest to the brand and it seems quite a few people who had m6's have moved on to r8's.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
No worries mates - the R8 will be re-badged as a Porsche and will wear it well! :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
MFSC, not so fast.

The state of Lower Saxony {i.e. Local Government} controls 20% or so of VW, and the unions are fighting tooth and nail. In Germany, they have a say as to how things are run. Also, the so-called VW law in Germany gives special legal status to VW, who board have been trying to sabotage the takeover.

Did you know that the bosses of Porsche and VW are actually cousins ?
Also, Porsche has 12,000 employees, and VW has 324,000.

The politics of the two companies is very complex, and takeover does not mean capitulation.

Lets not panic yet. And even if the bastards do take over, it does not mean that they will automatically kill the R8.

And what of Lambo, do you suggest that they will kill that as well ?

No, of course not.

By the way, where do you get your information from ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
And what, exactly is "Vow"? :rolleyes: I don't recognise any company asscociated with Volkswagen, Audi or Porsche with that designation.

Just for clairity, the correct name for the parent/holding company is known as "Volkswagen AG" in its fatherland (and correctly abbreviated to "VW AG"), and is officially translated into English language as "Volkswagen Group".

And the "VAG" acronym is no longer an official tag, though it is still commonly accepted as an informal tag.

As others have stated, Porsche do NOT have any powers to actually kill off any Audi, or other Volkswagen Group car - and I seriously doubt they would want to either. Porsche will simply work with Audi and the other marques as a "technical partner", in exactly the same way as they do with the current Porsche Cayenne, Audi Q7, and VW Touareg - which are all fundamentally an identical car.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I get my information from bloomberg and vow is the bloomberg ticker for Volkswagen AG... Porsche have options to buy more and have stated that they will do that next year so they willl go to 75% as for Lambo as we all know a Gallardo cost ~twice as much as an R8 or, 911 so not a direct comp. Bimmer killed the M1 a long time ago so a Halo car is not really neeed. With regard to lower saxony and Volkswagen AG workforce there is nothing they can do if European courts decide that the revised Vow law is not valid (as they did with the old one).

·
Registered
494 Posts
So your comment on the death of the R8 is speculation, correct? BMW not needing a halo car is not relevant as to whether Audi needs or wants one. In North America at least, the Audi brand has been second tier to BMW and Mercedes. When you are in second or third place and trying to catch the leaders, a halo car can be seen to be way more important than it would be for an existing market leader.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Bimmer killed the M1 a long time ago so a Halo car is not really neeed.
BMW have the m3 and m5 to help their brand image - they have a big step up in terms of awareness compared to the rs4/6. The r8 stands out and draws attention to the brand because it is so different to the rest of the audi range ie not just a steroidal version of an existing car.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
My GUESS is that Porsche will drop the Audi R8 when it nears its inevitable release of the long awaited Porsche 911 replacement. Most think that this 911 replacement will be mid-engine, but also retain the VERY small 911 back seat, (ala the new 2010 Lotus Evora). Being mid-engine, the new Porsche will be too similar to the R8 to keep the R8 in the VOW line-up. 2012 is the year I hear the most for the new Porsche model, but most of the new Porsche info has been leaked from BMW sources, so go figure.

2010 Lotus Evora

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes the R8 death is pure speculation on my part but why would Porsche keep it? they will let the current model build brand image etc and then stop making it in 2012-2015...

·
Registered
485 Posts
yes the R8 death is pure speculation on my part but why would Porsche keep it? they will let the current model build brand image etc and then stop making it in 2012-2015...
Wut would that do to the R8? Become a collector car?

·
Registered
718 Posts
MFSC, I can answer that !!!

Why have SEAT, SKODA, VW & AUDI all producing a family car within similar price ranges ????

There is direct competition between your own brands, all of which are marketed seperately (in Europe at least).

The answer: Give the customer as much CHOICE as possible. Better he buys something from our group than goes for Ford, Toyota, GM etc etc

This is a valid reason to keep R8. There are people, myself included, who have never/will never buy a Porsche. Better they keep my custom within their group, than have me spend my hard earned money with Maserati, Aston Martin etc etc......

As we have said on other threads, Porsche make around 100,000 cars a year, and there are only 4,000 or so R8's per year. Sure, some sales compete against Porsche customers, others do not. They may well keep production limited and increase the price, so they make money from us whether its Porsche or R8.....

Better to be pragmatic that kill off a best seller with long waiting lists.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you can share platforms and cut costs when you use old a4 gear to build the current skoda the r8 only shares 15% of gear with the lambo and the engine with RS4 (yes i know its not exactly the same engine) my point is that the R8 is the only other everyday supercar and Porsche will want to kill that unless the next 911 is mid engine in that case it make sense to keep the R8 and share paltforms etc.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Porsche just announced that they control 75% of Vow and they will seek a domination agreement. This means that they have essentially taken Vow over and thus taken over Audi as well. We all know the first thing they will do is kill the R8 so get one while you can… they might be worth less in two years but they will be worth more in 20…
As long as we are speculating..
IMHO -I dont think the market plan for R8 will be altered at all; exception being the power plant long term ( ie: maybe Diesel Only..)..
There is my .02..:p

1 - 20 of 33 Posts