Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posted earlier that I was looking for Carbon Side blades for my new to me Gen 2 Spyder. Later that day I received this message:

Hey buddy
I have someone that have one for sale in good condition and cheap price you can shoot him a text if interested @ [email protected] dot com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A quick check of the email and it shows up as a known scammer.

The message was sent to me from:

johnrandy186

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
This forum must be full of scam bots as just about every wanted post seems to attract them. Can't admins do anything about this?

Reactions: Elberoth

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This forum must be full of scam bots as just about every wanted post seems to attract them. Can't admins do anything about this?
I reported it and the email - a simple search ties the email to scammers and the admin said, 'sorry, thats not enough information to take any action'.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I reported it and the email - a simple search ties the email to scammers and the admin said, 'sorry, thats not enough information to take any action'.
Unbelievable. 😡

Reactions: DaveL

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would not buy a single piece from a forum member, unless he has at least 2-3 years account history and couple of dosen of posts (that actually are meaningfull and show the person knows what he is talking about). Way too many scammers nowadays.

·
Registered
2018 Audi R8 Daytona Grey
33 Posts
I get these messages as well. I knew right away this was a scam..I also report them. Unbelievable

·
Registered
172 Posts
I got the same message from the same guy. If the moderators won't do anything about it, I say we all **** with him.

·
Registered
386 Posts
This site is run by VS, as is the MLR (Evo site in the UK). The MLR doesn't seem to suffer from these types of scam posts but I think that site doesn't allow new users to view or post in the for sale section until a certain number of posts have been reached/be a paid member. Certainly no guarantee of stopping scammers but does stop the random bot posts. Don't see why that can't be implemented on this site as they're all the same format. As it stands the moderators have to ban each individual account.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ok, so I had a few minutes today, so I decided to email the guy. Here is a copy/past from my email - keep in mind that I had a WTB add for a cheap Rev9 Exhaust for my gen1. My comments to you guys in the <>

Me
Hello, you mentioned that your friend has an exhaust available for an Audi R8. Is it still available?
Thank you!

weeks james
I have one for sale in good condition Where are you located? Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Me
That's great! I'm in Boston. Where are you located? <--and no I don't live anywhere near Boston lol>

weeks james
I’m in Utah What’s your shipping address? Will be shipped by via FedEx to your door

Me
Actually, please send to my other house in DC where I currently live: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20500 What is the price? <--notice this is the address of the White House lol>

weeks james
What’s your offer for this Will be shipped to address above

Me
$5000 is fair I think. And this will fit the 2021 special edition V12 manual R8, correct?

weeks james
That’s correct My means of payment is zelle or Apple Pay

Me
Great, thank you. My credit cards are all maxed out, so I prefer to wire the money, is that ok?

weeks james
Yeah wire the money Can I send you my bank info

Me
Yes please or I can do Western Union. Let me know.

weeks james
I’ll be willing to arrange where to send the wire payment to, what’s your bank, the name of your bank also matters, let me know so we can process it today

< and then I got busy. Not sure where to take it from here, but the guy is obviously a BAD scammer :)>

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
:LOL: Brilliant.

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
2,926 Posts
Ok, so I had a few minutes today, so I decided to email the guy. Here is a copy/past from my email - keep in mind that I had a WTB add for a cheap Rev9 Exhaust for my gen1. My comments to you guys in the <>

Me
Hello, you mentioned that your friend has an exhaust available for an Audi R8. Is it still available?
Thank you!

weeks james
I have one for sale in good condition Where are you located? Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Me
That's great! I'm in Boston. Where are you located? <--and no I don't live anywhere near Boston lol>

weeks james
I’m in Utah What’s your shipping address? Will be shipped by via FedEx to your door

Me
Actually, please send to my other house in DC where I currently live: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20500 What is the price? <--notice this is the address of the White House lol>

weeks james
What’s your offer for this Will be shipped to address above

Me
$5000 is fair I think. And this will fit the 2021 special edition V12 manual R8, correct?

weeks james
That’s correct My means of payment is zelle or Apple Pay

Me
Great, thank you. My credit cards are all maxed out, so I prefer to wire the money, is that ok?

weeks james
Yeah wire the money Can I send you my bank info

Me
Yes please or I can do Western Union. Let me know.

weeks james
I’ll be willing to arrange where to send the wire payment to, what’s your bank, the name of your bank also matters, let me know so we can process it today

< and then I got busy. Not sure where to take it from here, but the guy is obviously a BAD scammer :)>
Best part

2021 special edition V12 manual R8, correct?

Reactions: Elberoth

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got contacted by one too. It was pretty obvious a few minutes in that he was a scammer. Ridiculous. Honestly this board and the R8 fb page are probably the worst I've seen. I can't believe the mods don't care.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts