Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to just DM you @Scott-AhlmanPerformance , but then you might get this question from others at some point or your opinion may change as data develops.. So I thought this is a better way to ask you a question.

So my question is about the TTS twin supercharger for the 4.2l R8 engine.
Audi R8 4.2 ltr V8

What are your thoughts, concerns? Do you produce a similar product? Do you know of any other similar products here in the USA?

I saw a video about it and my only questions were if the engine and transmission would need to be built up to handle the increased torque and horsepower??

Anyway, any thoughts you have are appreciated by us guys with V8's who like our cars and don't really want to go sell it and buy a V10 if we can get similar power and performance without risking anything and not having to go through the hassle of selling and buying (not to mention sales tax) I just bought mine a few months ago and just want to know my options.

Thank you in advance :)

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
TTS recommend an upgrade for the clutch, that´s all

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TTS recommend an upgrade for the clutch, that´s all
Do you have info on the upgrade, so I can price it out ?

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Do you have info on the upgrade, so I can price it out ?
They suggest a supplier in the UK, but you have the best alternative in the U.S.A., Hi-Tech kevlar clutches who are a vendor on this site.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And how much HP does it give is another question to ask!
Oh I read the website and watched a youtube review it's almost 800hp at the crank I think. But STILL... that would be almost double stock. which is why I wondered about the potential costs of upgrading everything a long with it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do those VF kits run on the track? Overheat at all?
This isn't about a VF kit, the VF kit is a single supercharger. Get's you to around 500 hp at the wheel. I just spoke with Aiden at VF engineering.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Scott is on vacation currently. Just FYI if he doesn’t respond quickly.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scott is on vacation currently. Just FYI if he doesn’t respond quickly.
Good to know.. he usually chimes in quick.. thank you for the info.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would be less to start with a 10-
I just paid $86k + $7.5k tax & lic. + $6k Warranty + $2k transport ($102k)...

So to get a '14' v10 with under 10k miles would be about $115k + $8.5k tax & lic. + $15k Warranty + $2k transport (my current V8 has only 4k miles on it. It is pristine with zero issues.) Yes I know I would void the warranty (if it got inspected with the gear on it, but it wouldn't). ($141k) Becaues I don't want a 2012 or older or one with 60k miles on it.

So to start we are at $141k for a V10 with 500+ HP and unknown issues.

So $141k - $102k = $39k to play with. I could have that system for $20k + $10k Install + clutch (??) for probably less than a v10 with similar miles and similar year. Unless that clutch is more than $9k. And since the engine is already out, I bet my guy would give me a break on the clutch install.

·
Chassis/Vehicle Dynamics Engineer
298 Posts
I was going to just DM you @Scott-AhlmanPerformance , but then you might get this question from others at some point or your opinion may change as data develops.. So I thought this is a better way to ask you a question.

Audi R8 4.2 ltr V8

What are your thoughts, concerns? Do you produce a similar product? Do you know of any other similar products here in the USA?

I saw a video about it and my only questions were if the engine and transmission would need to be built up to handle the increased torque and horsepower??

Anyway, any thoughts you have are appreciated by us guys with V8's who like our cars and don't really want to go sell it and buy a V10 if we can get similar power and performance without risking anything and not having to go through the hassle of selling and buying (not to mention sales tax) I just bought mine a few months ago and just want to know my options.

Audi R8 4.2 ltr V8

Hi @ExpertRanch, @FoD was right...out west snowboarding this week!

I did some further research on your question familiarize myself with the powertrain questions and options available. I have a lot of thoughts on these options...as a systems engineer, system architect and vehicle engineer...with some input from my IC Engine experts.

We solely sell high performance chassis systems. No powertrain retail so my answers won’t be biased from that perspective but will come from an overall vehicle perspective.

First a question. What is the intent of your HP upgrade to the V10 levels or more?

Straight line speed for stoplight runs or otherwise? primarily street usage? Road course on track performance (many laps)? resale/value? other?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi @ExpertRanch, @FoD was right...out west snowboarding this week!

I did some further research on your question familiarize myself with the powertrain questions and options available. I have a lot of thoughts on these options...as a systems engineer, system architect and vehicle engineer...with some input from my IC Engine experts.

We solely sell high performance chassis systems. No powertrain retail so my answers won’t be biased from that perspective but will come from an overall vehicle perspective.

First a question. What is the intent of your HP upgrade to the V10 levels or more?

Straight line speed for stoplight runs or otherwise? primarily street usage? Road course on track performance (many laps)? resale/value? other?
Ahh, great questions...

Let's see.. let me tell you where the desire stems from and then try to be more specific.

a few Saturday's ago, I was at #occarsandcoffee with the R8 and on the way home (beautiful Sunny So. Cal day) we were on the coast highway around Newport Beach and up pulls this McLaren next to me with this young cocky driver and he was blasting a techo style song that just repeated "I'm Hot" (like I'm sexy or something) and so my wife was disgusted so I said to her, "I'm going to lose, and probably badly, but I have to try" (h ahah ahah) well, the light turned green I stomped the gas and off we went in normal R8 V8 style... (normally impressive)... however within about 3 seconds, this guy was at least 50 yards ahead of me! Of course at the next light he was stopped and I was still only slowing down while it turned green, so I tried again.... (ha hahaha)... in a few seconds he was screaming by me.

So I want to go faster, quicker for that type of situation and also, I may like to track the car every now and again. Mostly I just want to BE ABLE to go fast if I want to. I probably won't do it all that much. Of course resale value is always a concern and I don't want to blow the engine either. As my fidelity warranty will certainly be void (I may just cancel it and get my money back).

But basically I want to have a faster car with all the same capabilities it has now and the same durability as it has now (which I understand is an impossibility with any of these engine modifications).. So it's a desire curve, not a binary decision. If that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
If you want to keep up with a McLaren...buy a McLaren. Otherwise, enjoy your exclusive ride. There will always be something faster, and they’ll probably be blaring techno too. :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you want to keep up with a McLaren...buy a McLaren. Otherwise, enjoy your exclusive ride. There will always be something faster, and they’ll probably be blaring techno too. :D
h ahhahahh... I don't need to keep up with a McLaren, just not be beat so badly... ha hahhahaha I know, I know always someone faster... I really do know that. I STILL want to be a little faster. Is that not the plight of mankind, "the flesh is never satisfied". So we drive to new heights and press forward and explore new frontiers. Also, I did try out a McLaren when I first began looking and I hated the fit and getting into and out of the cockpit.

Maybe I just need to stay away from Newport Beach... where there are more McLaren's, Ferrari's, turbo Porsche's, Aston Martin's per capita than anywhere on earth! Seriously, on our drive home to San Diego, it seems like every 5th car was a super car, and lots of G-wagon's built out like crazy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe I just need to stay away from Newport Beach... where there are more McLaren's, Ferrari's, turbo Porsche's, Aston Martin's per capita than anywhere on earth! Seriously, on our drive home to San Diego, it seems like every 5th car was a super car, and lots of G-wagon's built out like crazy.
My advice would be to just not care at all about what other people drive, and enjoy your own car for what it is. :)

Stop light racing is also just so not worth it and boring (stomping on a gas pedal doesn't take much).

If you want to really enjoy your car, see what it's capable of, and feel good about it, sign up for some track days, get good, and next time you see that tehcno-fool next to you, just smile and tell yourself you'd spank him on the track. :)

Just my 2c.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My advice would be to just not care at all about what other people drive, and enjoy your own car for what it is. :)

Stop light racing is also just so not worth it and boring (stomping on a gas pedal doesn't take much).

If you want to really enjoy your car, see what it's capable of, and feel good about it, sign up for some track days, get good, and next time you see that tehcno-fool next to you, just smile and tell yourself you'd spank him on the track. :)

Just my 2c.
h ahahaha. I know all these things. I'm 57 yrs old! ah aha, and yet still act like a child sometimes.

I am signing up for driver training with DK driving school at Willow Springs. I DO want to get everything I can out of my car.

But I appreciate all the reminders! But tell me, you NEVER feel like stomping it at a light? Never??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts