Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
***MY COMMENTS BELOW ARE UNDER FURTHER REVIEW...mad-dot and benflux have both pointed out that they have 4GB cards that DO work. Both of these cards appear to be non-standard SD cards that do NOT support the SDHC standard. In all my tests, I have used standard SDHC cards and they do NOT work at all...these non-standard SD cards could end up being a hot commodity for us R8 users...i will do more research and report back...if any of u have any other observations/findings, would love to hear from you***

I posted this as a reply in another thread, but thought it would be helpful to have as the title of a new thread so R8 owners can find the info easily. Not sure if there is a FAQ on the R8 that has been put together, but perhaps this tidbit could be added to it.

Guys,
Here's the deal:

Based on my tests, the B&O system does NOT support 4GB (and up) cards...with rare exception, any card >= 4GB is based on the SDHC (High Capacity) standard and uses the FAT32 file system which is NOT compatible with the B/O system.

I have confirmed that 2 each (Slot 1 and Slot 2) 2GB SD cards work just fine.

So bottom line is that the system can handle a max of 4GB (2x2GB cards) at any one time.

Apparently, there are some non-SDHC-standard 4GB cards out there, but i seriously doubt they would work.

for you real geeks out there, here's some more info (from wikipedia):

A new SD format, SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity, SD 2.0), allows capacities in excess of 2 GB. SDHC uses the FAT32 file system which supports partition sizes greater than 2 GB[10]. It uses the same form factor as SD, but the SD 2.0 standard in SDHC uses a different memory addressing method (sector addressing vs byte addressing), thus theoretically reaching a maximum capacity of up to 2048GB. SDHC cards only work in SDHC compatible devices, but standard SD cards work in both SD and SDHC devices. The SDHC trademark is licensed to ensure compatibility.

SD and SDHC compatibility issues
As of early 2007, the simultaneous availability of non-standard 4 GB SD and 4 GB SDHC cards, and incompatibilities between SD and SDHC have caused confusion among various consumers looking to buy memory devices.
The following compatibility issues between SD and SDHC cards and devices can arise:
Devices that do not specifically support SDHC do not recognize SDHC memory cards.
Some manufacturers have produced 4 GB SD cards that conform to neither the SD2.0/SDHC spec nor existing SD devices

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
benflux,
thanks much. i think we are getting somewhere...
i bet the card is formatted with a FAT filesystem and hence cannot handle the full 4GB capacity. do you have any idea what filesystem the card is formatted with

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
One more data point: My 4GB FAT32 card did not work (the system said "loading..." but never got further than that. A 1GB card formatted as FAT (non-32) read instantly.

·
Registered
772 Posts
so for ease of use I should just get 2 x 2Gb non SDHC - 4Gb will be more than enough for me.

next step tho' - my music is stored on my laptop as either MP3s which I can just drag across but what about the stuff stored in iTunes? Whats the simplest way to get these into a compatible format with the B&O system?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks ikawrestler. did you 4GB card have "SDHC" branding on it? which make/model?
Yes, the one that didn't work was a SanDisk SDHC card (afraid I don't have it with me, so can't give you the model).

my music is stored on my laptop as either MP3s which I can just drag across but what about the stuff stored in iTunes? Whats the simplest way to get these into a compatible format with the B&O system?
Geffers, there is a command in the Advanced menu of iTunes called "Convert Selection to MP3" that will convert iTunes' proprietary format into .mp3 files. Unfortunately however, it won't convert songs you purchased on the iTunes music store. For those, you'll need to burn them to an Audio CD (again, from iTunes) and then re-import them as mp3's (make sure you've set Preferences -> Advanced -> Importing to use the MP3 encoder).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts