Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2016 Gen 2 R8 V10 Plus, which I daily drive a short distance to work each day and back. It’s always heavy traffic meaning I rarely get a chance to “open her up” so to speak.

Today, I briefly floored it from ~ 20 km/h in 3rd gear in comfort mode to overtake, but the downshift to 1st was so violent, the whole car shook and was accompanied by a considerable “jolt”.

i realise this is a performance car, however wanted to ensure this experience is normal?

Thank you!

·
Registered
241 Posts
It would not surprise me if you were in fully auto mode.

Comfort mode always cruises in a very high gear, so flooring it naturally means it needs to shift down more than 1 gear depending on the speed you are starting from.

Ive not tried from 20 km/h, but comfort mode always downshifts hard under full throttle. It has to.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
LMAO...yes it's normal

·
Registered
416 Posts
Christian - old race car technique, especially to exit a corner, is to follow through on the throttle instead of slamming it to the floor. So having said that, taking a second or second and a half to floor it makes it go downshift wise gently. After all you have 605HP so getting going is going to take no time at all. Good throttle discipline will also help you on a track. Mine has banged a couple of times as well but under slightly different circumstances. Hopefully you live near Bathhurst and get some pavement time. This expat kiwi used to live in Gulgong so wasn't too far away. Friend at the time had a 1971 Falcon GT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Christian - old race car technique, especially to exit a corner, is to follow through on the throttle instead of slamming it to the floor. So having said that, taking a second or second and a half to floor it makes it go downshift wise gently. After all you have 605HP so getting going is going to take no time at all. Good throttle discipline will also help you on a track. Mine has banged a couple of times as well but under slightly different circumstances. Hopefully you live near Bathhurst and get some pavement time. This expat kiwi used to live in Gulgong so wasn't too far away. Friend at the time had a 1971 Falcon GT.
Thanks very much mate! Proud that my thread was the catalyst for a 1971 Falcon GT being mentioned! Can't imagine that's ever come up on an international Audi R8 forum! Classic Aussie memories! All the best :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
why not drive it in comfort? Drives like a normal automatic, no harsh shifts, no rev matching, very smooth.
I drive mine in Comfort 70% of the time just driving around. Performance button is one click away if you want to get rowdy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts