Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sell now or try to keep it for a year?

Hi all, we all know the status of the economy. I took my chance and picked up the R8 in mid Jan, it was not the best decision, but I just could not resist. With business taking a much bigger hit than I expected in the past few months, and forecast for new business is next to zero, not to mentioned investment... my financial situation is now stressing me to the max.

Maybe I should sell it now, and not have to worry about the all the cost that is associates with this car. I am sure I will loose my shirt... just sales tax alone is bad news. Or hang on to it and sell it a year or so later. Maybe things will turn better within this year and I can afford it for 2 or 3 years.

But the stress of dealing with all the monthly expenses, getting rid of it now will be some relief. I am not sure if it makes financial sense to sell it now. With all the R8 on ebay, I am not even sure I can sell it that easily. Any thoughts or advise? Sorry to post such a depressing topic.. I rather be talking about my squealing brake, but figured I could get a different kind of perspective here from R8 owners.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sorry, didn't even think of looking at other posts. Thanks Dan.

MDC, If you can make the payments, just stick with it man. This will keep you sane through these tough times. It's like that getaway without the getaway. Plus when you drive it, you'll be in a different state of mind. Your brain will say, I love this feeling. Then your brain will program you to just work hard and come up with some better tactics to make some more money. Plus, I don't think it's going to drop that much more than it has now. Still seems to be a somewhat rare car.

What I'm trying to say is, driving it is like "steroids for your mood".

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Re: Sell now or try to keep it for a year?

Sorry to hear about the stress level, MDC, in what is hopefully a once-in-a-lifetime global financial squeeze. What about advertising it in the meantime at a price that is acceptable to you, and see if you get any bites? The R8 can still be an impulse buy for the car collector and/or enthusiast, and you never know who is in your neck of the woods reading about the new V10 coming out, and loving the car but not wanting to pay that much for one? And if you get a decent offer, you can always sell it now and when things pick up in your business, you can get one of the numerous R8s out there with 1,050 miles on them sitting in owners' garages.

Roman

·
Registered
482 Posts
mdc, sorry to hear about the current predicament. This economy is definitely taking a toll on many. It sounds like you are leaning towards selling it to minimize your risk. Go with your gut. Selling it a year later, you will take more of a hit later than now. The ownership experience should not be a stressful one. If you foresee much risk on your end, then I'd advise selling the car for a small loss. Whatever you decide on doing, good luck

·
Registered
711 Posts
Very unfortunately I don't think it will be a small loss, as I have just enquired after a trade-in price with 2dealers for a 4 month old with 4k on the clock.

But, I have spoken with the R8 team in the UK and they reckon that these losses will level out this year - if that's the case, then I would drive on until its a better time to sell in the spring/summer. Good luck as well.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree with gigharbor. The value of cars are subjective and you never know what you might get. The only thought I have is NOT to use ebay. In the US, there 33 R8's on ebay which is a digrace! Putting on there will most certainly cheapen the car as its exclusivity will be questioned. I think the R8 is truly an impulse item and if you think of a reasonable number to sell it.... drive around really expensive, ritzy exclusive areas and park in different places. I know that sounds nuts but there is simply nothing like seeing an R8 in person, especially having never seen one. You'll run into other exotics, meet people, talk cars... you simply never know... stranger things have happened. The person that going to buy this car on impulse might not be found on ebay. I had a BMW 850ci years ago and I was parked at a very high end mall in Northern NJ. Someone in the parking lot started a conversation and ended up buying the car.... and I wasn't really looking for a buyer.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Please What You Have And $ What Are You Asking--- Someone Might Help You Out Of It!!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you're strapped for cash, might want to liquidate asap. If you wait until next year, it'll depreciate even more.... GL to everyone out there in these economic times.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you all for your support and various perspective. Seeing the car in the garage put a smile on my face everyday. And driving it also makes me feel special. This might sound nuts to you all, what I really love is to follow it in a different car with one of my daughter(she is learning to drive) while my wife is driving. This way, I get to see the car in action.

The stress these day come from everything/everywhere else, not have to worried about cost related to the R8 will help a little. Or maybe I was angry with myself that I went a head to pick up the car. I need to go on Oprah...

If I am going to take a big hit from selling it in the first year, I might as well enjoy it for a little longer before parting with it. This is a no win situation for me.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
MDC it's not a no win situation, you get to enjoy driving a wonderful car. I know things are stressful right now but taking a big hit on this car after 3 weeks is something you will regret. I recently traded my M3 that I bought in Sept in for the R8 I picked up 3 weeks ago as well. I took the hit but haven't looked back since. I am enjoying driving my R8 daily so much more then I did my M3. I've made some really stupid car buying decisions in the past and I admit it to myself all the time, hoping I remember the next time I make a passion purchase (usually cars). But life goes on, I don't dwell on it and I have a good time. The bottom line is that your family should not suffer for your purchases. If you can swing the payments of a little while longer, get some use out of the car, at least get some enjoyment for the initial depreciation, who knows what the spring/summer will bring. My M3 trade-in value varied by 20K dollars between two different dealerships. Have fun and I hope you get to enjoy driving your car bud.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
MCD - From our previous communications, I know the R8 is a dream come true for you, as for me. We've saved & planned a long time. I wrestled with the same decision - should I take delivery or scrap it? What's that saying - "tis better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all"?

No, it's not the best time to sell...

Yes, it was risky to take delivery but you knew difficult times were ahead...

None of us know what your financial situation is - or what family problems the R8 might be causing at home, but family does come first.

If you can afford to keep it a little longer, keep it. Maybe your financial situation will turn around.

If it's causing immediate financial hardship, sell it now. No question.

Go drive it while you have it, get rid of some of that stress - and turn up the music so you don't hear the brakes!

You'll make the right decision. R8s will always be around, and less expensive, as others have mentioned.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
If you think you will need to liquidate assets anytime in the next two or three years, do it now. Don't wait. It may sound crazy but there are actually many more people who have extra money now,.. or many more people who THINK they have extra money now,.. than there will be in a year or two.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Please What You Have And $ What Are You Asking--- Someone Might Help You Out Of It!!!!
Silver with apollo silver blade, black interior, pretty much all the options including CF interior and engine bay. I will need to think about the $ I HOPE to get for it, I am considering asking the dealer if they want to buy it back, or trade in for a used Audi or something, but with two R8 sitting on their floor, I am sure they will offer very little. Loyal customer is not going to mean much in this economy...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am so glad I get to hang around this forum, thank you all for continue support, this will save me some money on therapy ; >. Feel free to continue with any thoughts you might have.

Maybe I can do a fund raising here — start a Save MDC R8 campaign, cookies, anyone?(yes, our firm provide creative services) I do not have a firm grip on what I should do with the R8, My 3 kids and my wife love the car as much as I do. So keeping it for a year might have more positive effect on my family and I in general.

You guys are right, I should not go back and question the decision on picking up the car. I do feel stupid... I should move on and spend my energy on how to make it thru this down turn(and not have to sell the car for now). This is easier said than done. I was hit hard during the dotcom, and might be even harder this time. If Oprah shot me down, I can try Dr. Phil? I can see the promo now—Man decide to live on street in-order to keep his R8. Wife and kids left him for another man with Ferrari.

·
Registered
340 Posts
mdc - unless you think your financial situation (cash flow) will improve in the next 12 months or so, otherwise I would try to sell it now, or start to sell now. You can always get another R8 in a couple of years. Just my two cents. Hope all goes well.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Your family is not just more STUFF. Your mental health and your quiet mind are not just more STUFF. Your providing for your family with good energy is not just more STuFF.

Audi R8's ARE just more STuFF.

Unless your family understands everything about your family's current finacial situation, and what it all really means, they do NOT get to vote about your R8 staying or going.

Another Audi R8 will always be out there when you are mentally and financially secure about the really important things.

·
Registered
711 Posts
My heart says drive it for the next few months if you can, and my head says do the same!

At least you will have got a real buzz out of the car and can look back at a few months of good times and I don't think re-sale prices will drop that much more til end of the summer.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts