Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
by Drew Phillips

We can't seem to find much information on this Audi R8 modified by APR, but we all agree that it's a real looker. We spotted it at Michelin's supercar display (more on that later), and it immediately stood out among the rest. APR's web site doesn't currently list any upgrade for the R8, and the Michelin media kit, although very informative about Michelin's tire lineup, didn't provide any information as well. If we had to guess, we'd say the engine's ECU has been massaged by APR for a few extra horsepower. Behind the custom wheels appears to be a set of upgraded Brembo brakes with drilled rotors and the APR logo on the caliper. The two-tone paint scheme actually makes the R8 look better than it already did. Check out the gallery for high resolution R8 tunage.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/01/sema-2007-apr-audi-r8/

·
Registered
978 Posts
I am sitting at the airport in Vegas after spending some time with the APR team yesterday and today.

The car has the following:
- APR custom exhaust with improved performance (and great sound) while retaining the factory "flapper" system.
- APR-modified sideblades with additional venting integrated.
- APR/Brembo exclusive brake package, developed on this car and available from APR in the not-too-distant future.
- Custom-finished 20" SDS IN-80 wheels, now available from SDS Wheels.
- Addition of carbon interior and engine kits from OEMpl.us.
- Custom paint and badging scheme.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The standard audi R8 braking system (not the ceramics) is far superior to any of the Brembo systems I have encountered on my previous Maserati's. I dont know whether Brembo have raised their game but certainly would not interest me at present. I would also have to question whether the 20inch wheels would cause more problems with turning circle etc which would outweigh any improvement in handling there might be. This is one of the best handling and looking cars on the market - the only customisation of interest would be about getting more bhp or losing some of the kerbweight. The rest is cosmetic.

·
Registered
439 Posts
A move to lower profile tires, especially from a very low 30 profile to an even more extreme profile, does not necessarily improve handling. In fact, it can diminish it.

As you say, a few more horsepower and pound feet of torque would be nice, but I can see no reason for trying to tamper with the chassis/tire set-up of this car . . . other than to generate profits for an aftermarket shop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts