Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you people seriously saying that an R8 can be used everyday? Here in Hong Kong, when I park 911 in a grocery store or a mall, lots of people stop and look more closely. I am sure that happens to you guys, but doesn't that limit its everyday usability. Anyway, that is what I think. What do you think guys...:D

·
Registered
180 Posts
I use mine every single day...Grocery shopping, numerous stores. It is always parked waaaaaaaaaay out...I'd rather hike the parking lot than get any door dings. And yes, quite often, I come out and people are looking it over or taking pictures, but it surely doesn't inhibit me anyway from driving it. My Porsche 997 C4S didn't get nearly the attention this car does. Just too many of those around.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I loved the attention at first but it has now become a tad wearisome and sometimes a little un-nerving.
It hasn't put me off using it when I want to but the strict definition of an "everyday" car (use everyday for any purpose) doesn't really describe the R8 from my perspective.
Not enough seats ,lack of storage space and too much respect for speed humps/kerbs in the UK .
"Everyday" is my Bully Boy Range Rover - much more streetwise :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
I use my almost R8 everyday but I never use it to go and buy things with it (i.e. mall, supermarket, etc); shopping for clothes etc is no problem.

I have a (unnecessary 550hp) SUV for that (how do you put 10 casses of 24 water bottles in a R8 anyway :D??? crazzzyyyy)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The R 8 ranks right up there as an ultimate grocery getter. I just don't like leaving mine alone for any longer than 2 seconds. Too many HATERS in Lost Angeles !! :)

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
The R 8 ranks right up there as an ultimate grocery getter. I just don't like leaving mine alone for any longer than 2 seconds. Too many HATERS in Lost Angeles !! :)
I got similar vibes when I recently visited my son in Los Feliz neighborhood of LA on a "road trip" around the west. At least when you're wearing something (fur, etc.), the attack is treated as a personal assault. But if they vandalize your car, the police blow you off for bothering them!

I recall in the past there used to be alarm systems that would react just to PROXIMITY, with a recorded voice warning, and go off on full alarm is the car was even TOUCHED. Do they still make those things? Not that I'm sure it would be practical.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It's usable every day but you need a second car to haul stuff. I liked the attention at first but I'm getting sick of it and am looking for a 2nd car because I'd rather stay anonymous most of the time. The R8 grabs too much attention to be a great daily driver.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Ever get the feeling you were being followed , choosing to go around the block one more time and then into garage? The attention factor varies wildly depending on where you be. Tony Stark knew all too well when and where to use His R8 !!

·
Registered
226 Posts
harrison, funny man.

Hong Kong guy, I think a lot of people use it as a daily car (probably 75%). Yup, it's hard to park anywhere, people will hit the sides, scratch it, etc, etc.

But the car was designed to be driven, not parked :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
I drive it daily and run all kinds of errands. I don't park far out. A little common sense and a tad bit of effort really reduces your chances of dings by %95, and you don't have to park a mile away.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Are you people seriously saying that an R8 can be used everyday? Here in Hong Kong, when I park 911 in a grocery store or a mall, lots of people stop and look more closely. I am sure that happens to you guys, but doesn't that limit its everyday usability. Anyway, that is what I think. What do you think guys...:D
Mine is absolutely a daily driver, I only ever use another car if people or 'stuff' doesn't fit. Having said that I am in the UK so it is not that unusual a car YMMV

·
Registered
761 Posts
It's usable every day but you need a second car to haul stuff. I liked the attention at first but I'm getting sick of it and am looking for a 2nd car because I'd rather stay anonymous most of the time. The R8 grabs too much attention to be a great daily driver.
Especially in Montreal ;)

·
Registered
417 Posts
I work at home, so for me "daily driver" means that I drive my R8 for every errand possible, sometimes just to enjoy the ride and sometimes just to get out of the house/office. (Working at home is a mixed blessing.)

I travel a lot and the only thing I haven't done is take the R8 to the airport and leave it overnight, even in the valet parking. I've seen plenty of very nice cars in the garage, including lots of M3s, M5s, 911s of various sorts, Mercedes coupes and the like. I always took my S6 to the airport, parking in an end to ensure no dings.

Does anyone take their R8 to the airport when traveling?

·
Registered
485 Posts
My wife and I take turns driving the R8 and the Q7 during the week. We mostly drive the Q7 on wkend. I don’t see the point of paying that much for a car and just let it sit in the garage.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yep , but even flat out down the runway it still wouldn't take off so I had to go by plane :(
Ah, but what fun it would be to have 10,000 feet of unobstructed road!

But seriously, do any of you drop off your R8 overnight at places like airports or hotels? Everyone I ask around here says I shouldn't even be asking the question.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yep. Shelbygirl let me drive it to work today. I gave her my truck, so it seemed a fair trade!
I often marvel when looking at any used high end car to buy from a guy who has only put ~500-1000 miles on it over several years. He will go on and on about the ride, power, comfort, handling, etc, etc. How can he really know, if he drives it so little? It's not even broken in!
You pay this kind of money for a modern car...go out and enjoy it for what it is.....a true driving machine. If you want to have it sit so that it can only be looked at during your passes through the garage, buy a nice R8 poster and hang it on the wall. It's a lot cheaper!
Live to drive.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I travel a lot and the only thing I haven't done is take the R8 to the airport and leave it overnight, even in the valet parking. I've seen plenty of very nice cars in the garage, including lots of M3s, M5s, 911s of various sorts, Mercedes coupes and the like. I always took my S6 to the airport, parking in an end to ensure no dings.

Does anyone take their R8 to the airport when traveling?
We always park our least-desirable car at the airport. That unattended, for THAT long in an area where cars are jam packed together and people are careless with doors and luggage after a long flight -- it's an accident waiting to happen.

I hear you on the working at home bit though. Blessing and a curse.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's what I'm talking about! You need to take it out if it's in the garage. I'm up to about 7,500 miles and drive it just about everyday. Just like a few of the others, I typically have a long walk to the entrance of a store, movie theater, etc.

Unfortunately I'm traveling in the midwest this week (Just saw the Indians get beat 6-2 last night) and it's sitting in the garage until Sunday. Four more days in Wisconsin and I get to stretch it's legs out again...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts