Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I ask about a part or something I get a bunch of PMs from scammers with 1 or 2 posts.

I hate to admit that I fell for it one time on a 25 ashtray insert...

I'm on numerous other forums and have yet to see anything like this.

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Like you I am also on a number of other forums and don't see anything like the degree of scammers that we get on here. I've got to the point where I won't post any wanted requests now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just getting absurd... I asked the guy today to take a picture of him with the exhaust and his phone number or something to show proof. I told him I was worried about being scammed and his response was defensive and said I must be dumb to get scammed on a "secure site like this"

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Unbelievable!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
noticed this on my wanting to buy posts as well been on plenty of other forums haven't noticed it to this degree

·
Registered
35 Posts
I heard this was a problem, but most of the time, it is quickly discovered that they're scammers. Unfortunately, I've encountered it on other sites too :/
And yes, I understand some may view me as a potential scammer due to my low post count. I am in the process of buying my first R8. I'm very excited.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm going to assume scammers are not going to waste their time on a Honda or Toyota forum as it's not worth their time to scam someone for 20 to 40 bucks whereas on a R8 forum, they can scam us for thousands of dollars for an exhaust, carbon fiber parts or expensive wheels.

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
Scammers gravitate towards the money. Expensive parts for an exotic car = bigger score.

That said, part of the fun should be messing with the scammers. Want to see them go away? Waste their time. Scam the scammer. Run them around in circles. When it start getting to be more trouble than it's worth, they'll start fishing in another pond. So, when you see a scammer advertising something, or they respond to your wanted ad, take the time to have some fun with them!

Some ideas? Get their e-mail and phone number. Call them at very inconvenient times. Tell them long drawn out stories about your childhood. Use their e-mail and phone number to sign them up for services that will spam them. Whatever comes to mind. Just have some fun! :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Choose your sellers wisely. I have twice bought expensive items on this forum (a $1600 and $2500 parts) and had nothing but great experience.

I have also sold and expensive item once here.

My safety advice: always look for account history and previous posts and always ask for a video chat on Whats App where you can see the part. Use PayPal if possible.

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe 2014 SQ5
526 Posts
Some forums have transactional ratings for each member given by other verified members who bought or sold something. One negative rating and you’re dead. The moderators act a arbitrators so false or revenge type ratings are removed.

·
Registered
646 Posts
it would be nice to have a low maintenance solution but last thing we need is GT3Chuck from 6speed on here!

·
Registered
282 Posts
What ever happened to that meathead Anthony guy who was apparently living with his mother and scamming people on here? It got a bit out of control for a while posting his address and some tough talk from members. I dont come here to see those fights and don’t like it, but I’m curious how that one ended.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I came back to the Forum today after 5 years... I just posted a message that I was interested in buying a KW V3 Shock Absorber and a scammer sent me a message to negotiate by email... LOL...

Unbelievable

·
Registered
300 Posts
yea its terrible on here. none of bmw or other forums are like this
Yeah, I still frequent bmw forums more than here. I like all the guys who post here but this forum feels like its run by the communist party of China.

·
Administrator
6,182 Posts
Moderators can only see posts and not PM's, so if you get one that looks like a scam screenshot or take a picture and send to me and will ban. Can't just ban because someone says "scammer", but seeing something like what was shown above is good enough to ban. Also multiple new member request a day are blocked because of spam/scammer risk.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts