Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume a lot people don't have the 6 speed manual, but for the people who do, are you experiencing any severe knee problems from the clutch?

After 6 months and almost 6,000 miles, I have severely painful left knee pain.

Just curious if there is any advise. I hate the Doctor's office, but I guess I have no choice.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Never a problem for me.Biggest problem I find on long journeys is the intrusion of the door handle into my right knee.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I assume a lot people don't have the 6 speed manual, but for the people who do, are you experiencing any severe knee problems from the clutch?

After 6 months and almost 6,000 miles, I have severely painful left knee pain.

Just curious if there is any advise. I hate the Doctor's office, but I guess I have no choice.
It took a while before I found the ideal position / height of my seat so that gear changes (with a manual) felt comfortable especially after a longer journey.

I also have had knee surgery a few times and I found that it was important to get just the right angle for my leg to unbend and straighten to change gear. For me moving slightly further away than normal with slightly more bent arms by bringing the wheel closer did the trick.

My tip to you:-
When making adjustments to your driving position, get your legs sorted first then adjust the wheel second. More often than not people always just adjust the seat and forget that the wheel can also adjust.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think it is down to seat position as L3Man suggests - I had an ache after a long journey when the seat was not in its normal position

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have almost 9000 miles and have not encountered any form of leg/knee pain. The same could not be said of my old Dino. In that car a 25 mile drive in traffic could be a killer.

I hope it proves to be something as simple as seating position (knees bent so that when your fully braking your leg still maintains a slight bend). I'm 6'1" and wear size 12 shoes. It took me a few drives to get set correctly so that heal and toe pedal technique becomes natural.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have almost 9000 miles and have not encountered any form of leg/knee pain. The same could not be said of my old Dino. In that car a 25 mile drive in traffic could be a killer.

I hope it proves to be something as simple as seating position (knees bent so that when your fully braking your leg still maintains a slight bend). I'm 6'1" and wear size 12 shoes. It took me a few drives to get set correctly so that heal and toe pedal technique becomes natural.
Do sympathise, still have a Dino after 20 years and never make in town journeys unless they are very short. The clutch kills my ankle after 20 mins and then the lack of aircon either suffocates you or boils you alive on a long journey, definitely a windows down car.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Really sorry to hear your pain. I have the R-tronic so not sure how stiff the manual clutch are in these cars. But I have been driving car with the stiff race Titlon clutch for a long time without problem. May be you need to go and have those knees exam by an orthopethic. It's better to have it treated early than late.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey guys, thanks for the info. Yes, the seats first and steering second is a great idea.

I'll go get an x-ray just in case, Vincent is right.

Also, the clutch isn't that stiff, it's actually not bad. I think my seating position sucks and I probably have a longer term problem from before.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
hey guys, thanks for the info. Yes, the seats first and steering second is a great idea.

I'll go get an x-ray just in case, Vincent is right.

Also, the clutch isn't that stiff, it's actually not bad. I think my seating position sucks and I probably have a longer term problem from before.

Thanks all.
There used to be an orthopedic right next door to our office. And the cliche advise I always hear was "better early than late"

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
482 Posts
wow, then a CGT would definitely not be for you. Get well soon!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree with most people here and never have a problem myself. In fact, I think it is one of the easiest manual that I've have driven...:D

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Interestingly when I attended the Audi Sportscar Experience in Sonoma the first "lesson" was correct seating position. I have been driving manual transmissions all my life and learned that I was sitting too far back from the pedals and the steering wheel. L3MAN's tip is good ...get the distance to the pedals right (you should be able to depress the pedals all of the way with your leg still comfortably bent at the knee and ankle), then pull the steering wheel towards you to have your arms more bent. The Audi instructors advised that the correct "bent arms" position is actually more important than getting the distance to the pedals right. According to them, while driving, you want your hands at the three-o'clock and nine-o'clock positions on the wheel, with your elbows bent at an angle of about 120 degrees. You should be able to steer through most turns without taking either hand off the wheel (i.e. turn the wheel through >180 degrees) and without being obliged to lean forward from the seat.

Since learning and applying all of this I have to say, in addition, that I no longer get neck ache while driving long distances!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts