Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my '08 on Thursday..

I took her out yesterday morning and all was fine - yesterday afternoon the car is dead - nothing no matter what I do

The car is in my garage - I couldn't see that red cord under the glove box to manually open the trunk..:(

My guess it has been used before and not put back properly..

I'll call the dealer shortly - maybe they can send someone out..I sure am not thrilled if it has to get towed there..

any advice??

Thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
Picked up my '08 on Thursday..

I took her out yesterday morning and all was fine - yesterday afternoon the car is dead - nothing no matter what I do

The car is in my garage - I couldn't see that red cord under the glove box to manually open the trunk..:(

My guess it has been used before and not put back properly..

I'll call the dealer shortly - maybe they can send someone out..I sure am not thrilled if it has to get towed there..

any advice??

Thanks
YES! Audi has the "R8 team" of people taking care of R8 owners.... situations not unlike this. At worst, they'll send a flatbed with a a driver who has been certified to deal with the R8 with its low clearance, etc. In the US, the # is 866-892-2834 and they are great. Not sure if they are in Canada, they may be the entire North America team. If not, they'll give you the correct #.

What a fu**ing drag! Best of luck

·
Registered
718 Posts
Its hard to see the pull-cord, but its there........

You need to get down into the footwell under the glove compartment with a torch, head first, with your legs up in the air.

The cord is a woven steel wire, which may have a black or red plastic loop on it.

Sounds like a dead battery. Get it checked/replaced.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car is now at the Audi dealer and I suspect they will put in a new battery..

Service has been great - I called audi Roadside assistance - guy with a flatbed came out but the car was either stuck in gear (even though it was moved to N) or the Hill Hold assist was on, but wisely the tow truck guy didnt want to drag it..

Local audi dealer sent out a couple of guys - one being the Service manager - took awhile but he did find the trunk cable release and the car started fine with a boost..

Figure a new battery should do the trick

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is there a cooling off period for buying cars? see if you can give it back. www.motionendeavours.com just got in a used 2009 with 2000 kms. lotsa options. asking 149 canadian
Nice price on a nice car but I have ZERO desire to ever own a standard again...

My insistance on an automatic has really limited my choice of cars, but man do I love the R-Tronic in sport mode..

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Keyser...You are becomming an R 8 informer already.Feel good to know you have chosen well.You have more support than you can imagine. Us Germans are a very proud bunch.Genau. (means EXACTLY in German) We will get to the Exact problem every time.If you get a new fresh free battery you will be a little better off than the rest of the R 8s in the world.Your R8 will live on much better and longer than alot of the other super cars available today.What have you decided to do to personalise your new ride ?? I'll bet you know all the options by now !!! I was on this forum learning for a full month before taking delivery of my baby.Keep us posted as (for ME) this project of yours is the most exciting (to me ) so far on this site.Except for MOTHERTUCKER cruisng at DAYTONA !!!!!!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 2 guys brought the car home - they found the cause so I end up with a new battery and wash at no cost to me along with valet service..

They even offered to give me a loaner car for the day if I needed one..

My first mechanical experience leaves me impressed to say the least - I have the feeling Audi will do whatever it takes to make you happy..

:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm glad to hear that they are really doing well by R8 owners.

Dave

·
Registered
172 Posts
yah audi is realy taking care of the R8 customers im very impressed, my mechanic found a leak in cylinder number 8 and insted of just fixing it, I got a brand new engine!!!!

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yah audi is realy taking care of the R8 customers im very impressed, my mechanic found a leak in cylinder number 8 and insted of just fixing it, I got a brand new engine!!!!
WoW!..that IS impressive..

I received a phone call yesterday from a Guy named Dwayne who is with the R8 Support Team in Michigan - He was speaking to my service manager about my repair - Dwayne apologized for the battery having to be replaced..

My guess is that Audi probably log and track all R8 repairs and sure do take customer service seriously..

·
Registered
48 Posts
harrison--I too am German from my name -Rusch- will tell you--living in VA and bought a used R8 with 9000 miles and glad to have it but--if you dont drive the car the battery goes dead for sure. Heres my problem--it costs me $300 to get the battery replaced + the cost of the battery at $240. To get the car towed to dealer I need the Towing Rope and to get to that I have to go to Tool kit but how do you access the Tool Kit throught the floor of the front luggage floor? I have to say I never dreamed the bttery would be this tough to replace and had I known this I may not have bought an R8. Any ideas on getting to the Tool Kit?
Thanks DRusch

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you're not driving the car for long periods of time, why not just get a battery tender for $60-$80? The CTEK 3300 seems to be popular.

With that said, my car has sat for 3 weeks at a time and starts right up. Maybe something unusual is draining you battery(s)?

harrison--I too am German from my name -Rusch- will tell you--living in VA and bought a used R8 with 9000 miles and glad to have it but--if you dont drive the car the battery goes dead for sure. Heres my problem--it costs me $300 to get the battery replaced + the cost of the battery at $240. To get the car towed to dealer I need the Towing Rope and to get to that I have to go to Tool kit but how do you access the Tool Kit throught the floor of the front luggage floor? I have to say I never dreamed the bttery would be this tough to replace and had I known this I may not have bought an R8. Any ideas on getting to the Tool Kit?
Thanks DRusch

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
GREETS !! The warranty is wonderful, but once it runs out the nightmares can begin. There are chargers that pass current through the 12 v aux.ports.This concept could help an R8 owner get the front bonnet open. My R8 is now long gone but never forgotten.But IIRC, the tools are up front under carpet ? Significant weight savings can be had by switching to a Braille carbon fiber battery, something like 30 - 40 lbs. I never had a problem w/ this battery set -up.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Holy blast from the past!

·
Registered
327 Posts
The battery should not die even if it is left for a month. Get the electrics checked .. albeit that is no easy task with these particular cars. Trickle chargers are worth their weight in gold if you are away regularly, of course.

WoW!..that IS impressive..

I received a phone call yesterday from a Guy named Dwayne who is with the R8 Support Team in Michigan - He was speaking to my service manager about my repair - Dwayne apologized for the battery having to be replaced..

My guess is that Audi probably log and track all R8 repairs and sure do take customer service seriously..

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
YES, still have the Boss and improved my Laguna Seca model with just a few mods. It handles like an R8 but with rabies. LOL.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts