Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I had to remove the cast H brace in the engine bay to allow a new oil cooler to tank pipe to be fitted. When I removed it some shims dropped out from between the frame rails and the 4 mounting locations for the brace. Is there a specific logic for refitting them or is it just pack out the gaps so the brace is tight in the chassis?

Andy

·
Registered
141 Posts
Any luck?

I kept mine together, but the cross member is so tight in there the shims will not go back in. I have not started prying on anything yet, just walked away for the evening after observing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I got it back together much more easily than I expected. I had 4x1mm and 4x0.5mm shims so I put one of each thickness at each mounting point. It seemed to be pretty much perfect, I little bit of force required to push them into place but no tools required, fingers only.

I put the brace in position then fitted the tx40 bolts with a few turns of engagement to hold it there and hung the shims from the those before fitting the long bolts which are accessed from the wheel arches.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I can not believe how tight mine is, going to go try again but really do not want pry marks and scratches. I had to use a brass drift to carefully remove them, I knew this was going to be an issue installing.

I have 4-5 stacked shims at each corner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts