Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 24 and I gain unrestricted access to my trust fund in February of 09. I have been shopping for a dream car since 21 and the R8 has caught my eye. Yall seem to be very enthusiastic about your Audi supercar.

My first questions are, Why with its poor(er) performance is the R8 such a desirable sports car? I have never seen one in person because the Audi dealer in Austin says they dont move enough cars for audi to give them one. Are they just so visually striking that everyone who can afford one absolutly must have one? Why are they selling for $25K over sticker USED?

The supercars I am currently cross shopping the R8 with are the Ford GT, 360 Stradale, and the Noble M12.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I'm 24 and I gain unrestricted access to my trust fund in February of 09. I have been shopping for a dream car since 21 and the R8 has caught my eye. Yall seem to be very enthusiastic about your Audi supercar.

My first questions are, Why with its poor(er) performance is the R8 such a desirable sports car? I have never seen one in person because the Audi dealer in Austin says they dont move enough cars for audi to give them one. Are they just so visually striking that everyone who can afford one absolutly must have one? Why are they selling for $25K over sticker USED?

The supercars I am currently cross shopping the R8 with are the Ford GT, 360 Stradale, and the Noble M12.

Thanks
All very different cars..Audi is an astounding car "all around"..
I just sold my 05 Ford GT. It is an amazing car but far less practical. ( amazing nontheless) Ferraris are well..Ferraris.I would eveluate the cost of ownership very closely.
Noble ,in my opinion is a kit car..I have driven them a few times and simply dont get the complete feeling experienced by the others mentioned. (however will outperform most)
The only real insight I can offer..do not think of this decision as an investment! Appreciation is a rarity and all cars have their turn in the barrel..someday!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just traded my '07 911 Turbo (550 hp) for my R8 and don't regret it one bit. The 911 is a classic sportscar, but the R8 is the "now" sportscar. So much more refined, solid, quiet, luxurious, etc...it's a true "drivers" car. The lack of power is made up by so many more positives. I loved my Turbo, but I am really enjoying the R8 right now. It's by far the hottest looking car on the road today!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is probably my biggest concern, I have a hard time thinking about spending 120K on a car that if lined up at a stop light with my jeep srt8 would only beat me by a fender and would lose to a plain jane C6

·
Registered
604 Posts
That is just a my pecker is bigger than yours argument - I was like that at 25 too. ;)

It is a car that has genuine class. It ain't no jeep!

·
Registered
15 Posts
If all you want to do is get in street races, get a Z06. It aint all about the speed, but if it's that important, you are looking at the wrong car. Hell, get a ZR1. But the bottom line, it's still a VETTE! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
108 Posts
All I would have wanted at 24 was the bragging rights for the fastest car available and I'm sure I would have regretted not going for it.

Get it out of your system then reconsider the R8 ;)

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Yikes, perhaps the wrong car for ya...... street drags, trust fund, young. IMO.
Find which one gets your heart going, for the right reasons you can justify. Don't blow it on a whim -

That said, (sorry!) the R8 does it all - could definitely use more HP for the superior R8 chassis, but that is it........

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not really looking for street races, and definatly not shopping for a vette.

So the R8 is more of a gentleman's car?

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Your reasons for considering this car seem different to most of the reasons why the people on this forum have one - it seems that actual driving pleasure is further down your list than bragging rights. If you're after being able to throw around paper stats and light-to-light street drag races it probably isn't the car for you.

If you can get past the badge, the nissan gt-r is a good choice for performance bragging rights.

So the R8 is more of a gentleman's car?
it's a good driving car, especially on twisty roads, with a sense of occasion - it's not a supercar though imo.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Can’t speak for the rest, but I see randomblokeot point, I can barely afford a Celica at 24. I think you will find a lot more rewarding and enjoyment in any car if you work hard for it. But if money is not in the equation, I am sure you can buy which ever car you want, try it and change it to something else if you do not like it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't find where I said I was after bragging rights, I simply stated a concern about the cars performance.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If you want to buy a car to pose, then buy a Ferrari.

It you want to have a sports car that everyone else has, buy a Porsche.

If you have more money than sense, buy a Veyron.

If you want a street racer, buy something ugly with loads of horse power.

But, if you want a car that looks good, offers sophistication with refinement, gives bystanders a perception of "class" and "respect" to the driver, offers incredible driving pleasure, and beats almost anything else on the track and on fast winding roads for road holding, is as good on the track as it is in every day heavy traffic going to work, then the R8 is for you.

And with utmost respect, most young drivers that buy a superfast car with no experience often "lose it" and end up around a tree or in a ditch. Unlike the Porsche, which an inexperienced driver can easily push over the edge, or the Ferrari, which needs taming, the R8 has a massive safety margin and can be controlled by less experienced drivers.

That just about sums it up.

Ask yourself if you want straight line performance, a pose mobile, or something else...............................

Oh, if you are concerned about power, the R8 V10 will be available within the next 6 months, offering 5.2 Litres and 525 bhp, compared to the current 4.2L and 414bhp. This will move it up into the next league.

Nonetheless, on a track I have achieved a 0-60 in 4.1 seconds and 170 mph, still going strong, before running out of track. Hardly slow by any standards.

·
Registered
485 Posts
if you are concerned about power, the R8 V10 will be available within the next 6 months, offering 5.2 Litres and 525 bhp, compared to the current 4.2L and 414bhp. This will move it up into the next league.
this is confirm? be interesting to see how this impact the availability, resale value of the R8-V8. Still waiting for mine...

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
David,

Everyone else makes good points above about the car's performance. However, before you decide make it a point to see one "live".
I have never seen one in person ...
Watching Ironman isn't enough, even in Blueray ;).

I'd never even heard of the car before I saw one of Audi's mules at the Red Bull Air Races. I immediately knew I was serious about this car. When I read up on it, that only "sealed the deal".

And the way people respond to it - driving this car makes you feel like a rock-star. Of course it's the car they are responding to, but still it's good for some great grins!

·
Registered
40 Posts
While I cant really give you a specific reason why this car is better, I can at least share my thoughts. First, I should be receiving my R8 tomorrow! So obviously I dont have the experience with the car yet. But we are almost in the same situation. Im 27 and happened to have a bunch of cash fall in my lap(thanks grandad). After a lot of consideration I chose the R8 because of the fact that it was labeled a practical supercar.

Just because it's .2 seconds behind a 911 on the quarter mile(or whatever, generalizing) didn't concern me. I wanted a beautiful car that performs well and could be used as a daily driver if need be. The other cars I was considering were the Ferrari 360 Modena, or a Ford GT(a car that STILL sells for more than its original MSRP). But those two cars obviously wasn't what I was looking for.

Of course, I still haven't been able to drive the R8, I only know that I fit inside it! (I'm 6'6"). I'll let you know when I finally have a chance to take it on a road trip to see how it measures up to the daily driver title its been given.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts