Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With current economy, do you think the wait list will be shorter? I put my name/deposit in July, quoted time frame was 1.5 to 2 years. Anyone seeing the demand is slowing down, and also impact on pre-own R8?

·
Registered
943 Posts
With current economy, do you think the wait list will be shorter? I put my name/deposit in July, quoted time frame was 1.5 to 2 years. Anyone seeing the demand is slowing down, and also impact on pre-own R8?
I find that people who can afford an R8 can still afford it with this economy. The wealthy may lose money, but they are still wealthy.

·
Registered
604 Posts
It was mentioned on this forum that they don't make a huge amount in the USA with the poor dollar/euro rate so supply isn't likely to increase hugely

·
Registered
193 Posts
Europe and the rest of the world are getting hit quite hard also.

While the wealthy will still be able to afford an R8, some well-off people are going from riches to rags as we speak, so there may be less demand. No idea how to quantify that though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think there is no doubt that some people will walk away from their orders and others may even put their cars up for sale. WSJ today reported that every car manufacturer has incurred double digit sales decreases in September and YTD. Porsche is down 44.8% (Sept 07 vs Sept 08) and 19.8% YTD. Audi reports under VW which is only down 1% YTD.

To the comment that the wealthy are still wealthy, Ferrari YTD sales are UP 6.1% but mind you that is based on about 3,000 cars per year. Maybach on the other hand is down 26% YTD with about 320 sales per year.

Interesting article.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I really don't think this will have much impact in the US at all because we are talking about a USD $120k to $140k car (before tax) depending on trim level and in low volume (annual global production of approx 5,000 R8 with US getting say 1,500 [30%] at max).

A $120k to $140k car is within reach and 1,500 cars per year is really not that much. Unless you are in finance or your business drops 80% or so, it is not going to impact your economic resource that much.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think we are going to see many people who ordered their cars 1+ years ago cancel their order due to the changes in the economy. Yes there are many rich people who are not impacted and will still buy, but there are many who were planning on stepping up from standard Porsche 911's, and now buying a $150K car isn't a prudent thing to do.

Since the R8 is such a low volume car, I'm sure the dealers won't have too much problem finding buyers for the cars with cancelled orders. This means that there will be many "open orders" and cars available without waiting 2+ years.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Where did you order? Do you have the confirmation information?:confused:

·
Registered
943 Posts
I think there is no doubt that some people will walk away from their orders and others may even put their cars up for sale. WSJ today reported that every car manufacturer has incurred double digit sales decreases in September and YTD. Porsche is down 44.8% (Sept 07 vs Sept 08) and 19.8% YTD. Audi reports under VW which is only down 1% YTD.

To the comment that the wealthy are still wealthy, Ferrari YTD sales are UP 6.1% but mind you that is based on about 3,000 cars per year. Maybach on the other hand is down 26% YTD with about 320 sales per year.

Interesting article.
I think the difference between Maybach and Ferrari is huge. Maybach has never been particularly successful, and I they haven't had a new car in ages. Ferrari has more cars in more price ranges.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Waiting time has recently shortened in the UK

I ordered mine in October 2007 and it arrived August this year despite a quoted waiting time of 16 months

My Dealer tells me waiting time is now being quoted at 12 months but he expects cars to come through earlier than that

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's the Sept sales figures: the format may get screwed up, but you can google audi sales figures and get to a source.
Audi Reports September Sales - Auto News from October 01, 2008
HERNDON, Va., Oct. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Audi of America announced today auto sales for the month of September totaling 7,584, a decrease of 5.4% from last year's figures. Audi new vehicle sales fell 3.9% year-to-date as the company faces stronger economic headwinds. Audi Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) sales decreased by 10.6% compared to last year's September figures, although sales continued to grow year-over-year at 31.0%.
"The all-new Audi 2009 A4 arrived this month to critical praise and high consumer interest in its segment-leading fuel economy, design and performance. Demand for the new A4 boosted our overall sales by more than one thousand units over August's figures. In addition, increased sales of our A5 and R8 models point to the continued strength of Audi's portfolio of all-new, progressive luxury autos," said Johan de Nysschen, executive vice president, Audi of America. "We believe that Audi will maintain its strong luxury market share despite consumer concerns about the economy, and we expect to see momentum around the new A4 continue to build well into the fall season."
The arrival of the all-new Audi 2009 A4 models in dealer showrooms boosted consumer interest in the brand throughout the month in spite of the model's late-September release. Based on government data and independent test results, the 2009 A4 2.0T leads its key competitors in fuel economy and 0-to-60 miles per hour acceleration.
Audi posted increased nationwide sales of its A5 model; dealers recorded a second month of record sales for the all-new A5 due to improved availability, with 719 units sold. Sales of the R8, Audi's premier example of its progressive German engineering, rose by 9% compared to September of last year.
Audi continues to impress industry analysts and other third-party industry watchers. J.D. Power and Associates, the respected industry organization that measures, among other things, quality within the auto industry, recently noted that Audi posted the greatest ranking improvement in initial quality during the 2008 J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey. The Audi Q7, A3, A4 and A6 have also been recognized by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) as Top Safety Picks in 2008, earning Audi the most Top Safety Pick designations for 2008 models of any luxury automaker this year.
ABOUT AUDI
Audi of America and its 270 dealers offer a full line of German-engineered luxury vehicles. The Audi line up is one of the freshest in the industry with 23 models, including 12 models launched during model years 2008 and 2009. Audi is among the most successful brands globally. Last year AUDI AG recorded its 12th consecutive record year for sales and profit growth. Visit http://www.audiusa.com or http://www.audiusanews.com for more information regarding Audi vehicles and business issues.

AUDI US SNAPSHOT -----YEAR TO DATE-----
Sep-08 Sep-07 Yr/Yr % Sep-08 Sep-07 Yr/Yr %
actual actual change YTD YTD change
actual actual
A3 287 462 -37.9 % 3,734 4,831 -22.7 %
A4/S4/RS 4 3,495 3,936 -11.2 % 32,401 32,816 -1.3 %
A5/S5 719 115 525.2 % 4,191 115 3544.3 %
A6/S6 1,090 1,126 -3.2 % 9,263 8,762 5.7 %
A8/S8 261 311 -16.1 % 2,168 2,754 -21.3 %
TT 266 412 -35.4 % 3,432 3,084 11.3 %
R8 73 67 9.0 % 521 67 677.6 %
Audi Q7 1,393 1,591 -12.4 % 10,107 16,049 -37.0 %
Total Audi
Sales 7,584 8,020 -5.4 % 65,817 68,478 -3.9 %
Most Recent News

·
Registered
66 Posts
1.5 to 2 years in USA? My god... My waiting time is 4 to 5 months in Hungary :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would think that it would be 1.5-2 years just to get a slot to order the car in the US, especially if you want to purchase it at MSRP. And another 4-6 months for delivery. Total time could be 2.5 years. Demand may be softening for those willing to pay a hefty premium, but since it is such a low production car, there's still going to be a long wait.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Look at the sales figures: R8 sales in sept 08 are up month over month and year over year. The supply of them is not getting any bigger, and the demand is plainly more than the supply. If you;re willing to pay a premium you can still get a car without too much wait, just like always,and there will be more than a few sales that fall out, but there's always someone else.. remember we're talking 600 in the US and 6000 world wide. That's not a lot, regardless of the economy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If they are still going for a premium then the list will stay long. As soon as the premiums disappeared here in the UK then the waiting list free'd up, there are quite a few new ones for sale (delivery mileage) at a discount here now. The credit crunch is hurting.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Look at the sales figures: R8 sales in sept 08 are up month over month and year over year. The supply of them is not getting any bigger, and the demand is plainly more than the supply. If you;re willing to pay a premium you can still get a car without too much wait, just like always,and there will be more than a few sales that fall out, but there's always someone else.. remember we're talking 600 in the US and 6000 world wide. That's not a lot, regardless of the economy.
there are only 600 cars coming to the US? I am not willing to go over msrp. I guess I will just have to sit tight and wait it out...

·
Registered
711 Posts
Waiting time has recently shortened in the UK

I ordered mine in October 2007 and it arrived August this year despite a quoted waiting time of 16 months

My Dealer tells me waiting time is now being quoted at 12 months but he expects cars to come through earlier than that
Similar. I ordered Aug 07, and was quoted a good 2 yrs for delivery.

In April I got a letter saying that it would be delivered Nov 08-Jan 09.

At the beginning of July I was slightly surprised, when the missus was in the dealership, and was told by the sales exec that he had just been emailed by HQ. The car was at the docks waiting to be shipped!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts