Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how hard it is to get the sideblades off an R8 either to change them out or to paint them another color?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Supposed to be relatively easy - I'm told its 30-40 minutes to do both.

Once they are off, you can get any good body shop to spray them whatever colour you like.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Does anyone know how hard it is to get the sideblades off an R8 either to change them out or to paint them another color?
It seemed very easy when I saw it done in Las Vegas in February. The mechanic took it off with an allen wrench in about 2 minutes. It took about 5 minutes to get another one back on. It was impressive. The carbon sideblade weighed close to nothing.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I have a chance to step in on a cancelled delivery of a Phantom Black with body-color sideblades. I was just wondering how hard it would be to paint the sideblades if I don't like the all-black motif once I see the car. (I'm not a huge fan of the contrasting sideblades but, on the other hand, the car looks a bit thick in the hanks without something to break up the visual mass of the rear quarters.)

·
Registered
772 Posts
swop you for the silver ones off my Daytona Grey car as I was thinking of having mine sprayed black.

How much do you think it should cost to have them painted? certainly nowhere near the £700 or so Audi quote for exclusive colours?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, but I was thinking about Lava Grey or something similar. (And I'm in the U.S., so I'm pretty sure local painting would cost less than shipping and insurance.)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Geffers,

Pearlescent paint is a bit more expensive than standard paint.

I would guess that a re-spray itself for a pair of sideblades probably costs £300 of so for the pair.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I found an interesting video of the R8 assembly line. It shows the sideblades being attached to the car, and it does seem to be a very simple procedure. So it seems feasible for owners to get fairly creative with custom treatments of the sideblades if they are so inclined.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6eIkO4Wlc4g

The sideblades go on at about minute marker 4:34 on the video. It seems they have tabs or slots to secure the rear edge to the body, with the front edge being secured by a couple of screws.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I found an interesting video of the R8 assembly line. It shows the sideblades being attached to the car, and it does seem to be a very simple procedure. So it seems feasible for owners to get fairly creative with custom treatments of the sideblades if they are so inclined.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6eIkO4Wlc4g

The sideblades go on at about minute marker 4:34 on the video. It seems they have tabs or slots to secure the rear edge to the body, with the front edge being secured by a couple of screws.
As stated , we have done a few of these now, easy enough job, plenty of you tube videos to follow! Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts