Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Canada, was on a 18month wait list if I was lucky. Used my US address, paid the premium and now I am the proud owner of my R8. One major problem where do you find 100 octane gas in a smaller town? What does everyone think of Ocatne booster?

·
Registered
494 Posts
100 octane? - best I know of in a pretty large town (700,000) is 91. Sure about that? I am one of the 18 month guys.

·
Registered
439 Posts
100 octane? Are you talking about 100 octane RON (the European measure) or 100 octane MON (the U.S. measure)? You won't find a U.S. gas rated at 100 RON unless it's a racing fuel.

MON runs 4-5 points below RON, so that a 95 octane in Europe is the equivalent of a 90-91 octane gas by the U.S. measure. I suspect Canada uses the MON measure, but I'm not sure.

In any case, a U.S. gas rated at 91 octane or higher is fine for the R8.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Audi European manual says use super unleaded 97/98 RON, but that standard European unleaded - 95 RON is fine, but some slight loss of power.

(I have been using standard 95 RON and it works just fine. Did not notice any difference when I tried a tank full of 97 RON)

91 RON can be used as an emergency measure only, but no heavy acceleration.

·
Registered
439 Posts
95 RON is equivalent to 90-91 MON. So, basically, a 91 octane gas in the U.S. (which uses the MON method) will perform fine in the R8. And a 93 octane, which is readily available in most of the U.S., is equivalent to at least a 97 octane gas in Europe.

A 91 RON is the equivalent of the standard grade gas in the U.S. (87 octane) and, as you say, should be avoided except in an emergency.

Although the octane rating of premium does vary slightly by region in the U.S., it's almost never lower than 91. So, basically, you can pull up to any premium pump anywhere in the U.S. and gas up the R8 with no risk to the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts