Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a manual R8, and have noticed since getting the car that when you change into 2nd gear and press on the accelerator (gas) you get a slight hesitation (like flat spot). Only ever happens in 2nd gear, so cant be the rev range.

Its going into dealer to be fixed, but wondered if anyone else had experienced such a problem?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have a similar problem with mine, on R-tronics. There seems to be a rev range that works smoother but I can't get it everytime yet.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As per this thread I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to make it hesitate in 2nd when I took the Audi technician out for a spin, and of course it never happened when I wanted it to! Nevertheless they've had it in for the last couple of days, and after speaking to Audi HQ they've changed the sparkplugs. I've yet to drive it properly, but I'll let you know tomorrow.

·
Registered
96 Posts
At what rpm range are you shifting?

I've not encountered any such hesitation throughout the rpm range from any gear. Sorry to hear about this. My manual has been a joy to drive!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just come back from the first Audi Advanced Driving Experience (held at Rockingham Speedway) and so was able to compare the RS4 directly against the R8.

The R8 is definately weaker betweem 2000-4000 rpm than the RS4, and the torque curve prove it.

We are working on a cure... will keep you updated when I have more news

Jon

·
Registered
91 Posts
As per this thread I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to make it hesitate in 2nd when I took the Audi technician out for a spin, and of course it never happened when I wanted it to! Nevertheless they've had it in for the last couple of days, and after speaking to Audi HQ they've changed the sparkplugs. I've yet to drive it properly, but I'll let you know tomorrow.
Nope, still doing it :(

·
Registered
293 Posts
I don't have a hesitation in mine, but just as R8Jon mentioned, the car feels weak in the low-end. I really hope there is a cure.

·
Registered
293 Posts
bz888, I tried it out today. The response is much quicker with both the ASR and ESP off. I actually fishtailed a bit changing gears.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Guys, that's not the problem

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think we're talking about two different problems anyway. The OP & I are experiencing a distinct cough just after changing into second, beginning to accelerate, and the engine splutters for a split-second before getting itself together & carrying on as normal.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like r8jon & others are experiencing a general lack of shove between 2000 & 4000rpm, and the car only really gets going once you've got more revs on. I think they're all like that - mine feels a bit feeble compared to the M6 I used to have, until I get over 4000rpm, but I can drive around it. However, the cough I have is intermittent, but it happens when I'm not expecting it, and I can't do much about it.

Anyway, still waiting to hear back from my dealer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think we're talking about two different problems anyway. The OP & I are experiencing a distinct cough just after changing into second, beginning to accelerate, and the engine splutters for a split-second before getting itself together & carrying on as normal.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like r8jon & others are experiencing a general lack of shove between 2000 & 4000rpm, and the car only really gets going once you've got more revs on. I think they're all like that - mine feels a bit feeble compared to the M6 I used to have, until I get over 4000rpm, but I can drive around it. However, the cough I have is intermittent, but it happens when I'm not expecting it, and I can't do much about it.

Anyway, still waiting to hear back from my dealer.
Thats exactly the problem I'm having :confused:

The car is booked in the dealer this week hopefully to fix,as I cant beleive it is normal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine has exactly this problem. Only in 2nd gear when getting back on the throttle. It's a niggle at first but after 4000 miles it's becoming annoying and spoiling my enjoyment of the car.
Did anyone have any joy getting it sorted? Just so I can tell my dealer how to fix it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine has exactly this problem. Only in 2nd gear when getting back on the throttle. It's a niggle at first but after 4000 miles it's becoming annoying and spoiling my enjoyment of the car.
Did anyone have any joy getting it sorted? Just so I can tell my dealer how to fix it!
The car went in twice to the dealer, but they never found the problem, and it still exists.

Its really annoying me too now. I'm going to take it back in to another dealer next week again.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a different but perhaps related problem. Any input would be appreciated.

When in 3rd gear the shifter vibrates and rattles between 1800 and 2000 rpms BUT is normal anywhere between 1000 and 1800 and over 2000 rpms. This is NOT an engine issue as power delivery is smooth throught range and engine shows no sign of struggling.

ANY THOUGHTS would be greatly appeciated as this is getting very annoying. FYI it happens regardless or whether the engine is cold or warm.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a different but perhaps related problem. Any input would be appreciated.

When in 3rd gear the shifter vibrates and rattles between 1800 and 2000 rpms BUT is normal anywhere between 1000 and 1800 and over 2000 rpms. This is NOT an engine issue as power delivery is smooth throught range and engine shows no sign of struggling.

ANY THOUGHTS would be greatly appeciated as this is getting very annoying. FYI it happens regardless or whether the engine is cold or warm.
Welcome to the dreaded 3rd gear problem. Another R8er here and I am also experiencing something similar, with occasional instances where 3rd cannot be engaged or popping out of the gear. Your description of the vibration was also noticed more than the other gears but unfortunately Audi has failed to respond to me at this time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Before the R8 I had a Ferrrari F355 manual. This as you probably know has a similar metal gate to guide the shift lever. It also had a very annoying rattle between 3,500 and 5,000 rpm which in the 3 years I had the car the dealer never managed to fix (despite regularly lightening my wallet by several thousand pounds every year at service time). The cause was clear - it was the lever vibrating against the metal gate, but it proved impossible to cure. He tried increasing the centering spring, adding felt tape, some sort of special grease - all to no avail. The reason it only happened at certain revs was that the engine/drivetrain caused the lever to resonate at a certain frequency. I'm not sure if it's the same problem but I hope not for your sake as by the end it drove me mad!
I had hoped that I wouldn't have to suffer such 'character' from an Audi but judging by the increasing number of rattles and other niggling problems I'm not so sure....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts