Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and i have to admit that i am a little disappointed. The dealership seemed very out of touch with selling any r8s, saying that they had no ordering booklets and that we could not even open the car on the showroom. After a few minutes the dealer opened it up and we were allowed to sit in it, no engine on. The interior is nice, but not amazing. I feel like it was a bit plasticky. It was just all a bit more underwhelming than I had hoped it would be. Maybe it was because it was never turned on. Im sure its a much different thing to have it come to life and be able to drive it and such. But for now, I am saddened by the experience. The Jaguar XFR and XKR at the lot across the way had absolutely beautiful interiors for the money and made me question my love for the r8. So guys, does the interior seem nicer once the whole system is up and running? Does it feel like it is an occasion whilst you are driving it? Sorry for the wordy post:(

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
No, you are not wrong. The R8 is not a "luxury car". Audi doesn't even put in some of the nicer technology that appears in its sedans such as pushbutton start, etc. It is utilitarian - a driving machine. You've read all the reviews. It is a very impressive ride!

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
It's also possible that the car you saw did not have extended leather, etc? This might affect your impression of the interior. Extended leather is very nice. Some of the Audi Exclusive interiors are very beautiful - but if you need burl and machine turned aluminum, you'll have to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you're right it did not have the extended leather. Im sure that does help quite a bit in the feeling of quality when in the cabin. I guess its the kind of car where just sitting in it with the whole thing shut down doesnt give you an accurate sense of what the car really is.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Just seen a stripper V8 at my local dealer (base manual with CF blade, satnav and alloy pedals only!!) and the interior is terrible IMHO. The other thing that struck me was the smell was entirely different, very plasticky!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If you think you would have a better opinion if you were able to drive it i'd suggest trying to get a test drive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ianerrid that may have been it. No extended leather no cf interior, it just didnt have any wow factor too it. It was well crafted but didnt make me feel like i was privaledged in sitting in it. I need to see a different r8 i think.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Get a new dealer!

It may be different in the US but when I ordered my V10 the dealer was great, I had a long test drive and crawled all over the car. The manager came out and just chatted about cars for a hour or so.

I was dressed casually and turned up in our work horse Land Rover Discovery so I definitely didn't look flash. In fact up to that day I had never set foot in the dealership.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
The Jaguar XFR and XKR at the lot across the way had absolutely beautiful interiors for the money and made me question my love for the r8.
I'm surprised by your impression. I have an XKR and it has luxury package which includes extended leather on the interior but I feel the controls/buttons/switches in this car feel rather cheap compared to when I test drove and checked on the R8.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Get a new dealer!

It may be different in the US but when I ordered my V10 the dealer was great, I had a long test drive and crawled all over the car. The manager came out and just chatted about cars for a hour or so.
I don't believe any dealer in the US will allow a test drive of any R8, even the V8 version. I think they are trying to prevent the 'non serious' buyers from just taking the car out for a spin, and putting miles on it. Also, regarding the luxury of the interior, this goes back to the question of whether extended leather is worth it- I have the carbon fiber inlays, alcantara headliner, and the extended leather, and I believe the interior feels extremely luxurious. Not the type of luxury you would find in, say, a Lexus with the wood burl trim, but a futuristic, modern type of luxury.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Having int.carbon and enhanced leather I get nothing but compliments. Had I not, I would be embarassed to state the cost of ownership , and limo tint the glass so no one could see in . :)

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Get a new dealer!

I was dressed casually and turned up in our work horse Land Rover Discovery so I definitely didn't look flash. In fact up to that day I had never set foot in the dealership.
Count yourself lucky. My dealer gets about 1 R8 a year. He had one on the showroom floor for a while, roped off so noone could touch it. Granted, it was sold, but I am certain they would not allow a test drive even if it was available.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Wow! So you US guys buy without a test drive ???

Our nearest dealer is in a relatively small town and has a DEMO V10. There is no way I would buy a £100,000+ car without driving it.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Wow, well you are braver than me!

I must admit it was the test drive that sold me the car.

I am 50 and I have been lucky enough to have owned quite a few 'exotics' over the years and I really thought that I have stopped being impressed with performance cars but the R8 as an overall driving package was really something special. I am afraid I would never buy a car without a test drive, same as I would never buy an item of Hi-Fi without listening to it in my own home.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Wow! So you US guys buy without a test drive ???

Our nearest dealer is in a relatively small town and has a DEMO V10. There is no way I would buy a £100,000+ car without driving it.
Sure, we get a test drive. I just paid 3500.00 for mine at Infineon. If it weren't for that I would be buying a car without even sitting in it. Sucks, but what can you do.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Lack of test drives is very common to me. I could not test drive my last two cars before the R8. I was able to barely test drive a R8. It was like 1-2 miles at moderate speeds and RPMs. I knew it was brand new and would not push it. I would not want a dealer to allow others to test thrash a car I was considering. I did not buy that car, due to its options and the premium they were asking. I knew I was very serious about the car, just needed to find the right options/price and time.

To get the real feel of the car, I took the two day R8 Sprotscar Experience. That way I could really drive one before I bought it. I liked the car so much, I bought one the day after the class on my way home...

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
The dealers in the UK have 'demonstrator' cars.

The dealer buys the car at a discount and registers it. He then has to keep it for 3 or 6 months after which he is allowed to sell it, obviously at a discount.

So when you test drive a demonstrator you are not driving a customer car, and when a customer buys a demonstrator he knows it has been used.

What's Infineon ?

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Infineon Raceway in Sonoma California. It is where Audi holds the sportscar experience in the US. Great cars and track. It was worth every penny. I'm a little glad I don't live in Cali, or I would be temped to go every year.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts