Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm bumping this old thread as this year's Mulholland Highway & Malibu Canyon drive is next Saturday morning, February 19, 2011. More information is available at www.sccaudi.com. So far, Desperado, Merrill & MNGolfer:eek: are in; who else?

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Re: SoCal R8 Get Together and Drive

My timing for the trip to SoCal was perfect. I am looking forward to meeting Desperado and his wife. I wonder how my rental car will fit in? :rolleyes: It would have been fun to send my car out, but no money and no time to arrange transportation both ways.

·
Registered
347 Posts

is there a chance you guys can swing by Vegas, sigh

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The forecast is for showers and rain in Malibu this week. IF it's heavy on Friday, then the canyon roads could be full of rocks and debris and no fun at all for our R8s. So, while I hope that the forecast rains are light, I'm being practical and realizing it may not work out again this year.

Malibu 10 day forecast:
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USCA0660

·
Registered
5,121 Posts

Maybe further inland, suppose Turnbull Canyon, might have better weather?? nevertheless, let's do a lunch GTG. (just leave the ESP on if it gets slick)

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts

Bill,
Where should I meet up with you?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts

So far we have three for sures. Not sure when, where or how, yet, but Don's in town and Desparado is ready willing and able, Me three. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quick status report:
  • Working on setting up a Friday mid-day GTG. Further details to come.
  • If weather holds, then the Saturday Audi Club canyon drive will be an added bonus. Not counting on this one though...
  • Bodhii sends regrets.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

Here's an update I just received on the status of Audi Club's Mulholland drive:
Audi Club SoCal said:
As we know, rain is in the forecast. Watch for a confirming email no later than 5PM Friday to alert as to drive status. Current weather forecast is not very promising, with the likelihood of heavy rains starting Friday and running into Saturday.
Five Day Forecast

But we are still getting together. Thursday afternoon (Tomorrow! Around 2PM to 3PM) Harrison & MNGolfer are meeting at Desperado's office and we are going to pop in on nearby APR Performance to get a peek at their carbon fiber wings and spoilers. Anyone who is nearby and would like to join us please PM me for directions.

I've put a query into VF Engineering for a possible visit, but Nik is out of town so that may or may not be possible. Still, we should plan on meeting Saturday, either at the Audi Club drive if goes forward or somewhere central for lunch.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Guys: Sorry for the late notice, but a few of us are meeting at Supporting Sponsor GMG Racing today, Friday February 18, at 11:00 AM to take a look at their R8 Exhaust and Twin Turbo R8. You are welcome to join us!

Click Here for a map to GMG.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

The drive has been canceled due to rain. (Second year in a row.) Will be rescheduled at a later date.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So of course this morning of the canceled drive there is a pause in the rain! Though I'm sure with the heavier rains last night the roads will indeed have quite a bit of dirt and rock washed onto them, so "No Bueno" for the Yerba Buena! ...BUMMER...

Even though the Audi Club drive didn't happen, we were able to have an R8Talk get together anyway.

MNGolfer, Harrison, and your reporter were able to visit APR Racing in the East San Gabriel Valley on Thursday afternoon. Bodhii's car is there at APR's facility. APR was finalizing the plugs for the front and side splitters and we were able to get a pretty good idea of what these will look like. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished parts on the car. They are true performance pieces and should make a significant aerodynamic difference.

Once complete, the plugs will be shipped to APR's overseas facility where the molds will be made. Then test parts will be made, shipped back to SoCal and final fit approved. Only then will production of these parts commence and they will finally be available for purchase. If you are interested, keep an eye on www.aprperformance.com for announcement of availability.

----------------------------------

On Friday, Merrill and my wife joined us as we visited GMG Racing's facility in Orange County. There is a full report on the visit in this thread in GMG's vendor forum on R8Talk.

Afterwards the five of us went to the Huntington Beach pier and had a very pleasant seafood lunch at Duke's overlooking the pier and the Pacific Ocean.

During lunch the rain started, so it was comforting to have quattro as we headed home into Friday afternoon rush hour traffic.

We wish more of you could have joined us, but realize there wasn't much advance notice. A big thank you to APR and GMG for accommodating us on short notice.

It was great to put some more faces to the screen names on R8Talk, and we definitely need to plan more events like this in the future.

R8 owners are the nicest people!

·
Administrator
6,215 Posts
R8 owners are the nicest people!
Will have to take your word for that since I never see another R8 in MA. I know Tom Brady has one, Maybe i should call him and see if he and Gisele want to go for a drive? Figure after R8 being out for about 4 years now I would see more? Hit car shows every weekend, Maybe this season I will see another?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Will have to take your word for that since I never see another R8 in MA. I know Tom Brady has one, Maybe i should call him and see if he and Gisele want to go for a drive? Figure after R8 being out for about 4 years now I would see more? Hit car shows every weekend, Maybe this season I will see another?
I am around and about all the time from late March to November!!!!

·
Administrator
6,215 Posts
I am around and about all the time from late March to November!!!!
You should try and save June 19, German Car day. Took my car out for the first time this year yesterday, felt great driving again.

·
Registered
369 Posts

I've never seen another one either...RI or MA. Only time I've seen other R8s were the NY get-together last year.

Let me know if you, Tom and Gisele hook up for a ride. I'll join you. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts