Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been into my local dealer to register the car today. They tell me a software update is needed. Anyone had this done? Is it worth doing before the first service?
Couple of warrantee issues as well. Squeek/creaking from behind seats. Drivers seat creaking (I'm not suprised! :)) and, most worrying, condensation within the headlight units... Anyone else had these issues?

Andy M

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think the software issue was talked about here somewhere, something about the car not hitting redline on one of the gears I think, as for the warantee issues no idea the car is still pretty new and most people on the site are waiting for there cars, I hope the fix all ur problems, this car is too nice to be a garage queen :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all

Is is it worth having it done before the service is due? i.e. does it make any worthwhile driving improvements? Anybody had it completed that could report back?

I think there may be a rev limitation based on engine temp as well??

Andy M

·
Registered
183 Posts
It wasn't just and ECU upgrade (I'm having the car switched back as it now feeld sluggish)... other modifications were done which were worthwhile... for a list, check to the other thread listed above.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
It wasn't just and ECU upgrade (I'm having the car switched back as it now feeld sluggish)... other modifications were done which were worthwhile... for a list, check to the other thread listed above.
The R8 mechanic at my dealer told me that the work included some hardware changes associated with the fuel injection as well as software modifications to the ECU and the transmission controller. He confirmed that smoother Rtronic gear shifts, especially from 1st to 2nd, were among the goals of the update. I find it to be much more driveable (I never use the automatic mode).

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hearing this makes me feel a bit uneasy, being that mine will most likely come with this software update.

What was changed that made it feel slugish?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Part of the recall... was a remapping of the ECU which I think is the root of the sluggishness. APR (Audi Performance Racing ~ google it) will be offering an ECU performance reprogramming. This along with a lighter, less restrictive exhaust may be the ultimate way to go. I'm considering this. Militek and APR both offer exhaust systems. Now all I need is a carbon fiber cold air box and I'll be all set.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mine is in at present having these items done. I was in with the assigned mechanic to view what he is doing and to go through everything with him on my car--6 speed. I will try to post a couple of pictures. 1st, all the software update are put in-flashed. They are also putting in some insulation and replacing some o-rings around a screw or two in the side blades. Drainging 4? holes somewhere in bottom for better drainage (H2O?). Each update/work is specific to individual cars--they have a printout showing the VINS and what applies to each individual car. I saw this with some codes on items, e.g. my had some, others had perhaps different ones. To work on the car, they have a special R8 padded cover for the back end, doors etc--very heavly padded and soft for protection-quite a nice set of items! Sorry, can't upload my pics/files, as they excede the limit size for this site. jet

·
Registered
128 Posts
jet -
given the less than 100% happiness with some re the update; please post your response after driving your car with the changes; any "sluggishness" for you?
TIA,
Tritone

·
Registered
1 Posts
had mine at the dealer for a few days. brought it in for a check engine light. they couldn't figure out what was wrong. they said it was a sensor and would have to check with the factory. a few days later i pick it up and see they replaced a knock sensor and did some 'recall' work. i glanced at the work order and saw software upgrade, paid no attention to it.

2 minutes later i jump on I-95 and the car would not rev over 5k, felt really weird, i upshift again same deal. so i drive slow for a few minutes until the car is really warmed up and its OK, but not the same.

does anyone know what they did?

2009 R8
6 spd

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just had my software upgraded and noticed that it won't rev past a certain RPM until the engine comes up to temp. I bought mine used and it had just had the upgrage so I can't comment on if it had less power. The R8 is not a very powerful car in my opinion. It's all about the style for me. I have a BMW 135i with a Juicebox 3 chip that gives it 400hp and 400tq and and it feels much faster rowing through the gears than the R8. The R8 lacks torque and requires a lot of shifting to me. But I don't care cause it looks awesome!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts