Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I come across an article related to something as car enthusiasts we might ponder over I try to post it so everyone can reflect on their own thoughts. . Such is the case with this gem. Enjoy.

To drive or not to drive, that is the question.

Me, I drive and drive hard.

·
Registered
429 Posts
To each his own...

One of my neighbors was fairly wealthy and had a car collection. He claimed having 90+ cars in his garage, which he packed as sardines (to the point where he couldn’t even open their doors.) He did have the satisfaction of owning them, though not driving them. And then he passed away...

Personally, cars are (should be) made to be driven.

·
Registered
181 Posts
90 cars in a garage ! That’s one hell of a garage lol . That’s a waste in my opinion also .

·
Registered
431 Posts
At my peak (to date) i owned 7 911's (3 of them race cars) at the same time plus 4 other cars and 2 motorcycles. All of them got used regularly as they were meant to (the race cars, winning championships; the others on track days and spirited drives). What did i learn?

• insurance premiums will kill you
  • its expensive to address fuel going bad due to lack of use (same with batteries) - don't talk to me about stabil and Rec90 was not available for some time
  • 911's leak oil if not driven
  • depreciation is about the same on driven vs non driven cars
  • high mileage doesn't equate to abused
  • a used and properly cared for (and documented) car holds value well
  • the value of enjoyment exceeds the perceived cost of depreciation
  • if you are concerned with depreciation, don't buy a car. Get some bonds...
Most importantly, remember you are the current care taker of someone else's dream car when its time to move on. I have found that when people have come to buy a car from me, there is added value when they see the enthusiast level care, the carefully kept documents and the interesting stories that go with them. Computer values, market surveys tell the story from a banker's perspective, the car talks from the enthusiast point of view. (for transparency, I am a CPA so I know a thing or two about depreciation).

When I sold one of the 911's placed the speeding ticket I got at triple digits as well as the related court document on an envelope in the glove box with a note to the new owner, "yes, it is this fast. Certified by FHP which is more accurate than a dyno". He called when he found it and we became car friends. When he sold it passed the documents along with the addition of why he had the info. The new owner loved the background and I now count on him as another car friend (that keeps asking when will I sell the R8).

As a case study, I consider EZMASS's R8. Awesome car, perhaps some others like it here BUT he has the luggage, the books, the promo material, the special garage arrangements for it, clearly a highly cared for vehicle. If I were looking at 2 identical cars (and if his were on the market) I would pick his at a premium.

Perhaps I am a romantic. I drive a Chevy truck and an eTron for transportation, the rest of them for the passion of driving.

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
At my peak (to date) i owned 7 911's (3 of them race cars) at the same time plus 4 other cars and 2 motorcycles. All of them got used regularly as they were meant to (the race cars, winning championships; the others on track days and spirited drives). What did i learn?

• insurance premiums will kill you
  • its expensive to address fuel going bad due to lack of use (same with batteries) - don't talk to me about stabil and Rec90 was not available for some time
  • 911's leak oil if not driven
  • depreciation is about the same on driven vs non driven cars
  • high mileage doesn't equate to abused
  • a used and properly cared for (and documented) car holds value well
  • the value of enjoyment exceeds the perceived cost of depreciation
  • if you are concerned with depreciation, don't buy a car. Get some bonds...
Most importantly, remember you are the current care taker of someone else's dream car when its time to move on. I have found that when people have come to buy a car from me, there is added value when they see the enthusiast level care, the carefully kept documents and the interesting stories that go with them. Computer values, market surveys tell the story from a banker's perspective, the car talks from the enthusiast point of view. (for transparency, I am a CPA so I know a thing or two about depreciation).

When I sold one of the 911's placed the speeding ticket I got at triple digits as well as the related court document on an envelope in the glove box with a note to the new owner, "yes, it is this fast. Certified by FHP which is more accurate than a dyno". He called when he found it and we became car friends. When he sold it passed the documents along with the addition of why he had the info. The new owner loved the background and I now count on him as another car friend (that keeps asking when will I sell the R8).

As a case study, I consider EZMASS's R8. Awesome car, perhaps some others like it here BUT he has the luggage, the books, the promo material, the special garage arrangements for it, clearly a highly cared for vehicle. If I were looking at 2 identical cars (and if his were on the market) I would pick his at a premium.

Perhaps I am a romantic. I drive a Chevy truck and an eTron for transportation, the rest of them for the passion of driving.
100% agreed with everything you've said here... and not just because of your very nice compliments! :)

I'm not sure when or why the car community started to become so obsessed with mileage, but it's a shame. Condition is far more important than mileage in my book. I've seen low mileage cars in terrible shape, and higher mileage cars in fantastic condition.

I'm a firm believer in really enjoying your cars - the mileage, to me, tells a story... the places you've been, sites you've seen, roads explored, and hopefully some beautiful scenery along the way! Especially with cars like our R8s, if they're well maintained, these cars will go a long, long time. Mileage should not be a major factor - especially with enthusiasts who opt to proactively maintain their cars versus reactive break-fix behavior.

Get out and enjoy your cars, folks! But treat it well, keep your records, be proactive on maintenance and repairs, and just use some common sense to maintain its aesthetic beauty!

Reactions: ervikingo

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree EZ. I looked at one R8 and I asked the owner how she maintained it. She said she never had it in for service. In over four years! Not even so much as an oil change. I ran far away from that car and ended up with one with twice as many miles that was well maintained. I will say I have had a couple issues with it but I can’t imagine what was lurking underneath that first one.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ervikingo great story of the speeding ticket. I’ve avoided one that large.......so far.....
I left out a detail on my text, on this particular town, if you are caught at triple digits, you are automatically taken to the city jail and the car gets impounded... not something i recommend especially on a Sunday. Surprisingly good food.......

·
Registered
Audi R8 4.2 R8 4.2 FSI Quattro R-Tronic
2 Posts
Cars are meant to be driven. Added 2000 miles to mine within the first two months of collection. Absolutely in love with it.

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
I just came back from a road trip to the rocky mountains to Banff, Canada and I gotta say... It made me love my car even more. Life's too short to not enjoy your car!

That's the dream right there - beautiful scenery, open roads, freedom to explore, a few packed bags, and an amazing supercar! Life is good!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree. The previous owner only put 1200 miles per year on my car (I have an 09). In 6 months of ownership, I've put 3k miles and don't anticipate letting off the gas, especially with the roads I have in WA at my disposal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great thread, and quite relevant to me. I've had 5 in my stable, but now I'm thinning it out (supercharged M3 sold last month, gated F430 going on BAT soon) and I'm turning the R8 into a driver instead of a garage queen. The Ohlin coilovers are on backorder, and when that comes it's also getting a Fabspeed valved exhaust. Then I guarantee the R8's odometer will see 5 digits for the first time and never look back. Drive 'em!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Banff is awesome I've been before but in a rental car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts