Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As everyone knows, almost every time you drive this car it is an occasion, but today I had a better than average number of fun encounters. All in the space of two hours or so:

1. Go to get gas, and when I go to pay and tell the cashier what my pump number is. She looks at me and laughs and says something like there was no need to tell what pump I was at. She then drops a number of compliments about the vehicle, and points out the people now taking pictures.

2. Before I can get out of the gas station another guy walks up to me and tells me he was in Japan recently, and that his friend there had an R8, and that he got to drive it there. Cool story, and then he tells me how pleased he is to see one here.

3. Leaving the gas station, a guy in a Jetta sees me and comments. I am behind him at an intersection on the way out. He sticks his hand out the window and like an orchestra conductor, makes a motion that he wants to hear the engine at higher RPM so I oblige. He was happy.

4. Go out after dinner, and a guy in a Mazda is coming at me - rolls down his window and gives me a big thumbs up. I wave and we exchange grins.

5. Drying the car at the car wash and a woman pulls up beside me, gets out and compliments the car, saying that I must have worked hard for it. Told her I robbed a bank. Another really pleasant exchange.

6. Then the best of them all. Cruising around and a van pulls up beside me. Think it was a soccer dad. A little girl, maybe 7 or 8, and clearly VERY shy, slowly and tentatively raised her hand into view and gives me the cutest thumbs up I have ever seen. Then I start grinning at her and waving back, and she starts waving and clearly felt more comfortable after that. Dad gives me thumbs up as we separate.

7. Then after all that, I let her rip to 8K a couple of times on the highway, and drink in that great exhaust note as you move from 4K through 6K and beyond. I NEVER get tired of that sound and feeling.

Audi probably does not realize how much happiness they spread around with this car.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
They do make one smile, don't they?

By far the most enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned. And in so many varied ways.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I'm now experiencing this phenomenon that I've been hearing about for so long! Most interesting and impressive contacts are the car guys who know a lot about the car but have never seen one.

Came out of a meeting and here was a black Cayman pulled over but not at the curb with its owner out snapping pictures of my car with his phone! He struck up a conversation and it turned out he has a GT3RS in his garage but finds it so unpleasant in street driving (tho he loves it on the track) that he bought the Cayman to have a fun daily driver. As he ogled my new car he said: "I wish I'd waited for one of these. This car could take care of both jobs."

Amazing how everyone smiles and give you a thumbs up or Hawaiian thumb and pinkie! Have not noticed a SINGLE unfriendly reaction

·
Registered
220 Posts
Likewise I have receive only positive thumbs up from all encounters. No negativity at all. But more importantly its a joy driving this car 24/7.
Looking forward to a track day to test her good and proper.
conm

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I am sure we all experience great days in our R8'S and the amount of attention, photos and thumbs up is quite amazing.

The other great thing is that it carry's no predisposed baggage or perceptions ..such as a Porsche,Ferrari

The best I had was when I was stopped at a set of traffic lights and a guy in a car on the opposite side of the lights spotted the R8 and opened his door,hopped out AND dropped to his knees on the road and starting bowing until I drove past and he gave a big thumbs up.

The only other car that has attracted a bigger amount of nice attention was a Lambo Superlegga in bold orange.

That thing is a movie star on wheels..with photo after photo etc etc

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
nice story - it really is a special car.

maybe it's coincidence, but I seem to be getting a lot more headlight flashes and waves now - there was a period of a few months when the recession bit where it seemed to tail off noticeably.

The only problem is 9 times out of 10 the person doing it is coming the other way and by the time I've noticed them I'm too far past to reciprocate which makes me feel a bit of a heel sometimes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I, too, have had phenomenal response to my white with c/f V10.
As with the other posters, tons of thumbs up, etc.
My two best: a woman walking with her guy, pointed, her mouth dropped wide open, and she bent her knees for a couple of seconds, then turned and leaped into her man's arms.
The other time, I was driving in slow traffic and two separate Escalade Limo's pulled up beside. The windows went down and pictures were taken, nice comments made by the young passengers. Early 20's I would guess. From there I had to then drive by the venue for a Kings Of Leon concert, and that must have been where the Escalades were going. Hundreds of concert-goers were outside the Coliseum and as I crept by, some noticed the car. Soon, most of the crowd started to cheer for it!!! Amazing. Maybe they thought I was "Leon", haha, but more likely it was just the car. Not much an old fart like me can do that will make me a hero with the young, but this car does it.
Randombloke, my last two cars were also an M6 and an M3, and I loved those, too. We obviously share the same taste in cars, although my M3 was a standard, as is my R8.
The R8 is a huge step up for me and I have loved every moment in it. Now just hoping mine isn't the first documented "lemon" regarding the motor. Check out the thread regarding breaking in the motors if you are interested. It has been heartbreaking, but I am probably over-reacting. Hope so.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Fantastic story! The R8 spreads love and happiness. :)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
my last two cars were also an M6 and an M3, and I loved those, too. We obviously share the same taste in cars, although my M3 was a standard, as is my R8.
seems a surprisingly common path for people, which makes sense if people were after the "best" mainstream manufacturer performance cars at the time. I loved the m6, and the x6 reminds me why I still feel a bmw guy at heart, but the r8 is just such a special car. everything about the v8 r8 hits the spot for me and how/where I drive - perhaps a little too well if audi were hoping to encourage a mass v8 to v10 exodus.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I went out for an early morning blatt in mine this morning. Before the roads were busy.

Then I went to the dealer for a new key to be programmed, shopping to Halfords for a footpump, the pet shop for a dog harness (as I'm going to try to run it as my only car I need to keep the dog happy :)), Tesco's for some food and then took the dog for a drive to the park for a long walk.

Every one of those activities was done with a smile on my face because of the R8! I can't believe how lucky I am to own such a wonderful feelgood machine. :D

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I was at a gas station and a guy ran over to ask me if my car was a prototype or did I have Audi make it for me. Then he asked me the cost and I told him I have no idea that I won it on a bet. His mouth droped to his chest. So much fun....

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I was at a gas station and a guy ran over to ask me if my car was a prototype or did I have Audi make it for me. Then he asked me the cost and I told him I have no idea that I won it on a bet. His mouth droped to his chest. So much fun....
I've got to remember that one!!!! :)

Steve

·
Administrator
6,223 Posts
Most of us unlike so many other exotic owners use our cars as every day vehicles and I think that sometimes makes us forget how special the car is. But we do get reminded often by others

·
Registered
51 Posts
Last night I went to the first class for my IFR Ground School. I was so excited about starting my new rating after class I started talking to my friend to whom I gave a ride. I asked: I wonder if there are any Aircraft salesmen who might take an R8 on trade against a new plastic g1000 auto-pilot equipped DA40 (I fly a '66 Cherokee). Well as much as I will love flying with more freedom, by the time I dropped off my friend my love for the R8 was burning strong again. This is the coolest car I'll probably ever drive. But that knowledge just makes me happy.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Most of us unlike so many other exotic owners use our cars as every day vehicles and I think that sometimes makes us forget how special the car is. But we do get reminded often by others
So true...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oh so true. The car is a wonderful ride and it if also makes others smile, all the better.

I too have had the thumb's up, etc. Had a school bus full of high school kids in front of me one day and they must have seen the car out the back, as word spread up the seats. There must have been 20 faces in the rear windows smiling and waving. When I put my blinker on to pass the bus, they must have all rushed to that side, as the bus seemed to lean to one side with the interior weight shift! Kids all hanging out the windows taking cell phone pictures and waving! As I passed, even the driver tooted the horn and waved.

My wife had a similar experience with the car and a school bus. She said one kid yelled out "I love you, marry me". She said she smiled and thought how she could be old enough to be his grandmother!

Love, peace and happiness....it's an R8 thing!

·
Registered
87 Posts
The R8 attracts everyone. Little kids, babes, old men, women at the grocery store.......just everyone. I think it is the seductive shape of the car that enthralls people. I know that was the first thing that got to me. The rear end view reminds me of the early 1990's Testarossa, but redone by an artistic genius. The exposed engine just drives people wild. And the front end with the feline eyes says "I am nothing to be fooled with". If ever a machine had a soul, the R8 is that machine.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The R8 attracts everyone. Little kids, babes, old men, women at the grocery store.......just everyone. I think it is the seductive shape of the car that enthralls people. I know that was the first thing that got to me. The rear end view reminds me of the early 1990's Testarossa, but redone by an artistic genius. The exposed engine just drives people wild. And the front end with the feline eyes says "I am nothing to be fooled with". If ever a machine had a soul, the R8 is that machine.
Well said. My favorite view of the car though is maybe 15-20 degrees off center looking at the front - from a bit of a distance though. That allows most of the overall shape to be appreciated, including the blade and associated air scoop. For me at least, that view is still breathtaking, and I have had the vehicle for over a year now. Someday I would love to see a documentary on how the designers managed to come up with such a stunning (and I expect timeless) design. Those guys better be awfully well paid, considering what this machine has done for the Audi brand. To even mention Audi in the same breath as Porsche, Ferrari and other top names, would have gotten you laughed out of the room a couple of years ago. Not any more. Not to mention the relative standing against arch rival BMW.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts