Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know of a source for a set of hexagon front grills like the R8 TDI concept? Or, perhaps an all diamond-shaped grill similar to the grills on the existing car's brake cooling ducts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sign me up! I want this as well.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
just found this today, not sure if that pinstripe is red or orange, but obviously it should just be straight black.....but the hexagons are what your talking about
http://www.tidstyling-usa.com/shop/step1.php?number=674
the pinstripe is a big mistake, IMHO. Also, I'd prefer the honeycomb to be '3D' rather than stamped from a flat piece of plastic. 3D will stand up much better if unfortunate enough to take a rock to the grill at higher speeds

·
Registered
761 Posts
the pinstripe is a big mistake, IMHO. Also, I'd prefer the honeycomb to be '3D' rather than stamped from a flat piece of plastic. 3D will stand up much better if unfortunate enough to take a rock to the grill at higher speeds
I agree. It looks cheap.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The MASSIVE look is what AUDI is all about. It is as recognizable as the BMW kidneys. I might have to chop , cut, and , rebuild my PPI grill to accept a full sheet of black chrome mesh. NOT the HEX. A tighter mesh would be more aerodynamic while still letting air in. I learned this over at ECOMODDERS.com. :cool::cool::cool: These mirrors are the bomb and would look killer in C.F. The valences are sweet too. Of course PPIs' front grill cartridges are nicer.Tell you what...I'll help you design it if you help build it. The R8 is sacrificing aerodynamics for looks in plenty of areas.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Anyone add the CF fins (Blade Garnish Trim Set)?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Anyone add the CF fins (Blade Garnish Trim Set)?
I was thinking of, but at $2000 a set I was put off especially as they are 3M tape stuck on sh*t.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went by the SoCal dealer for TID Styling. While the grill is molded ABS, they confirmed the mesh is flat . The pinstripe in the surround is available in any color. Quoted appox USD2000. Not in stock, would be custom built and delivery from Korea. I decided not to order.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I went by the SoCal dealer for TID Styling. While the grill is molded ABS, they confirmed the mesh is flat . The pinstripe in the surround is available in any color. Quoted appox USD2000. Not in stock, would be custom built and delivery from Korea. I decided not to order.
2 grand for a plastic grille, I'd better order it with a solid gold pinstripe

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The grill is the greatest...but Hex is is standard on Lambos. You won't find a speck of Hex on mostR8s -Except for the Hoefle or TDI cars. Besides, the grills on the vents under headlights is MESH. I tried to match the mesh using a PPI front grill. (which I will have to sell once I modify/make my next grill). I can do better than the PPI grill kit . As soon as I get off my rusty -dusty.:eek: Oem has made one...for around 10K.(joking)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts