Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2010 White V8 Manual
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I just purchased a 2010 V8 manual (22k miles) yesterday that I hope to have delivered on Saturday. As soon as I started looking for this car I started reading this forum and have found it be very helpful and informative. I have a question regarding warranties. I've seen several names mentioned - Fidelity, Carchex, Carshield, etc., but when I see reviews online they all seem to be pretty mixed. Can I get some recommendations based on experiences with warranties covering the most common failures like the mag ride and AC compressor and whether or not it was difficult to get them to cover these repairs? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had Fidelity Platinum when I purchased my 2009 in 2016 and I was very pleased with them. I never had an issue. I am not sure if they will cover a car that is 10 years old or not.They would not renew my contract due to the age of my car when the warranty expired.
I am now with Simplicity. I have used them once and there were no issues.

·
Registered
607 Posts
u might be out of luck with fidelity for cars more than 10 years old...but that's a great company i got no issues with my claims for twice now. Congrats and enjoy the car!

·
Registered
2010 White V8 Manual
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had Fidelity Platinum when I purchased my 2009 in 2016 and I was very pleased with them. I never had an issue. I am not sure if they will cover a car that is 10 years old or not.They would not renew my contract due to the age of my car when the warranty expired.
I am now with Simplicity. I have used them once and there were no issues.
Thanks, I was worried about being limited because of the age. Hopefully there are several options out there. I'll be sure to check Simplicity.

·
Registered
412 Posts
sounds like my area

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi All
I just purchased a 2010 V8 manual (22k miles) yesterday that I hope to have delivered on Saturday. As soon as I started looking for this car I started reading this forum and have found it be very helpful and informative. I have a question regarding warranties. I've seen several names mentioned - Fidelity, Carchex, Carshield, etc., but when I see reviews online they all seem to be pretty mixed. Can I get some recommendations based on experiences with warranties covering the most common failures like the mag ride and AC compressor and whether or not it was difficult to get them to cover these repairs? Thanks in advance.
wow i'm loving it already, female with gated R8...perfect combination:). congrats with your new baby...you did well with this purchase. it will not disappoint. you only have 22k miles, enjoy the new beast and don't think about problems you're going to encounter just yet;). as a fellow gated manual member i would like to thank you for saving the manuals LOL.

·
Registered
2010 White V8 Manual
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow i'm loving it already, female with gated R8...perfect combination:). congrats with your new baby...you did well with this purchase. it will not disappoint. you only have 22k miles, enjoy the new beast and don't think about problems you're going to encounter just yet;). as a fellow gated manual member i would like to thank you for saving the manuals LOL.

It is the perfect combination. I have always had manuals since my very first car. I can't imagine living without one. I can't wait to finally get behind the wheel. I'm a bit of a speed freak so this is going to be epic! Manual drivers unite, LOL. Thanks for the warm welcome

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new R8!

There are folks who have managed to get Fidelity to cover a 10+ year old car, so I'd check nonetheless. It may differ for some who were simply renewing existing warranties that were expiring versus issuing new coverage - but again, I'd give it a try.

I personally went with Audi Pure Protection when my factory warranty was set to expire. Thankfully there's been no reason to use it yet, but APP and Fidelity have both had good reviews on this forum. I'd be VERY careful if you stray from a mainstream brand, especially with an expensive car. As you're probably aware, some of these failures can get very expensive, and some of the lesser warranties may give you trouble with bigger claims.

Both Fidelity Platinum and APP Platinum are what's known as "exclusionary" warranties. This means that, by default, everything is considered covered UNLESS specifically excluded. This makes it easy to see exactly what wouldn't be covered, and that list is generally very short. In contrast, many other warranties, especially cheaper ones, will work in the reverse - telling you that they cover some finite set of things. Inevitably, when the car needs to be worked on, something can easily be classified or fall outside of that finite list.

As far as the magnetic ride shocks go, APP is on a very short list (maybe the only I'm aware of) that specifically does not exclude coverage for them. Most warranties will consider shocks a wear-and-tear item and won't cover them. Fidelity excludes coverage for shocks, but they will cover "struts." So, a technicality of sorts, but we've had forum members get denied when their shop put in a claim for "shocks" while others have been approved if the shop puts it in as "struts."

Regardless of what you do, read all the fine print before purchasing. Specifically make sure you're getting an exclusionary warranty, and pay special attention to the contract elements that call out those exclusions. An example of my contract's exclusions are below - you can get a feel for what APP does and what a good warranty should limit:

Additionally, below is the APP language calling out specific coverage for suspension parts. Look for some form of equivalent in a warranty that at LEAST will include "struts" if needed to put in claims as such.

Best of luck and congrats again on your new R8!

Reactions: ervikingo

·
Registered
412 Posts
Weston here. When I go to Supercars Saturday there are 20 McL, 20 Lambos and usually 2 R8’s. In my street though there are 2 R8’s; my Gen 2 and a Gen 1. Plus I have my “Half R8” (TTRS). Enjoy the car!

·
Registered
2010 White V8 Manual
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new R8!

There are folks who have managed to get Fidelity to cover a 10+ year old car, so I'd check nonetheless. It may differ for some who were simply renewing existing warranties that were expiring versus issuing new coverage - but again, I'd give it a try.

I personally went with Audi Pure Protection when my factory warranty was set to expire. Thankfully there's been no reason to use it yet, but APP and Fidelity have both had good reviews on this forum. I'd be VERY careful if you stray from a mainstream brand, especially with an expensive car. As you're probably aware, some of these failures can get very expensive, and some of the lesser warranties may give you trouble with bigger claims.

Both Fidelity Platinum and APP Platinum are what's known as "exclusionary" warranties. This means that, by default, everything is considered covered UNLESS specifically excluded. This makes it easy to see exactly what wouldn't be covered, and that list is generally very short. In contrast, many other warranties, especially cheaper ones, will work in the reverse - telling you that they cover some finite set of things. Inevitably, when the car needs to be worked on, something can easily be classified or fall outside of that finite list.

As far as the magnetic ride shocks go, APP is on a very short list (maybe the only I'm aware of) that specifically does not exclude coverage for them. Most warranties will consider shocks a wear-and-tear item and won't cover them. Fidelity excludes coverage for shocks, but they will cover "struts." So, a technicality of sorts, but we've had forum members get denied when their shop put in a claim for "shocks" while others have been approved if the shop puts it in as "struts."

Regardless of what you do, read all the fine print before purchasing. Specifically make sure you're getting an exclusionary warranty, and pay special attention to the contract elements that call out those exclusions. An example of my contract's exclusions are below - you can get a feel for what APP does and what a good warranty should limit:

View attachment 251810

Additionally, below is the APP language calling out specific coverage for suspension parts. Look for some form of equivalent in a warranty that at LEAST will include "struts" if needed to put in claims as such.

View attachment 251811

Best of luck and congrats again on your new R8!

I was able to get this coverage 7/70,000. Even though the car is 10 years old the mileage is extremely now and that is why I qualified. I got the top tier exclusionary coverage as suggested. Pricing was reasonable. Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations, good that you got the warranty sorted out too.

·
Registered
2010 White V8 Manual
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome to the forum and congratulations, good that you got the warranty sorted out too.
Thank you, really glad that the warranty worked out too. That was really a concern for me. But it all worked out. Now I just have to endure the longest 4 days of my life waiting for it to get here!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just got quoted $3373 for 5 year/60k with $250 deductible Fidelity Platinum. 09 V8 gated with 15k miles. Call 317 853 3902. Ask for Heather (Neil's backfill). Her rates blew away the corporate Fidelity number I called.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts