Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the general tenor of comments about the "tire rescue" slime system in the R8 seems to be that it doesn't work, the only other obvious way to be rescued from a flat is to call Audi for a flatbed.....correct?

The recent thread about road trips has made me mull that over, because when I get my R8, I plan to take it on the road...and maybe some rather remote roads.

So, I am wondering: has anyone considered a mini-spare? From eyeballing the trunk, I am thinking possibly a mini-spare of the correct diameter could be gotten in there, or am I wrong? Admittedly, it would be a huge loss of baggage space, but it would sure make you independent of calling for a flat-bed.

Does the r8's bolt pattern match other Audis? Any reason why a mini-spare off another Audi wouldn't work? My recollection of the mini-spare in my A6 is in my mind.

Surely, there's some fatal objection to my idea, or Audi would have provided one to begin with.....or not? Any comments on this idea?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
That mini spare must be very small to fit in there.My 911 has a mini spare but it is still on a large rim.(expando type spare tire).I learned from this forum,carry a plug kit! I still don't have a jack though...to be able to lift and find puncture . I recently had a blowout on the trailer tire and I was able to limp 20 miles to a Walmart (Mothers day) Bought a tire,another taillite and I was on the road again!!! Just the thought of my R8 getting moved onto a flatbed makes me nervous. Thank goodness my tow hook is in its' place ,ready for that emergency.Without the tow hook I would recommend pulling the R 8 up in REVERSE. A plug kit would only work on a small puncture.I DON"T WANT ANY SLIME GETTING ALL OVER MY TPS MONITER /TRANSMITTER (its' probably moisture proof). How can I rotate the wheel if it's raised? E-brake off (of course),car in neutral? I haven't tried turning rotor assemblies while lifted yet.:)

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Is the problem with the jack that the location of the 2 jack placement spots under the car make the car unsteady, and AOA is worried about the car "falling"? (LIABILITY?)

I still want a jack for an emergency like you describe harrison.

Steve

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
There is NO unsteadiness problem when I use the small Hydraulik shop jack.So I think that a decent Scizzor jack should work just fine.If the Audi jack looks squirrely I will just borrow a small szirror jack from another car.It might even fit in the trunk spot.Any-one have a pic of this mysterious Audi jack??

·
Registered
22 Posts
In 40 years of driving I've never had to use a spare and I routinely run tires until the cord shows. How often do you guys run into trouble?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Since the general tenor of comments about the "tire rescue" slime system in the R8 seems to be that it doesn't work, the only other obvious way to be rescued from a flat is to call Audi for a flatbed.....correct?

The recent thread about road trips has made me mull that over, because when I get my R8, I plan to take it on the road...and maybe some rather remote roads.

So, I am wondering: has anyone considered a mini-spare? From eyeballing the trunk, I am thinking possibly a mini-spare of the correct diameter could be gotten in there, or am I wrong? Admittedly, it would be a huge loss of baggage space, but it would sure make you independent of calling for a flat-bed.

Does the r8's bolt pattern match other Audis? Any reason why a mini-spare off another Audi wouldn't work? My recollection of the mini-spare in my A6 is in my mind.

Surely, there's some fatal objection to my idea, or Audi would have provided one to begin with.....or not? Any comments on this idea?
If you could fit a mini spare wheel in the trunk (but I dont think you would) what would you do with the standared wheel you take off the car, because you would still need to take it with you to get it fixed?And they would only plug it anyway because I think most smaller tyre places would not have a R8 tyre in stock.

Just get a good tyre plug kit. Thats all we use on motorbikes when we went on long out back trips. I think thats about the only answer with the R8.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of course! THAT's the answer: a mini-spare might fit in, but whatever in the world would you do with that expensive 8.5 or 11 inch wide wheel and
flat tire? I don't know why I didn't think of that!

So a field expedient tire repair is the only answer other than wait for the flat bed.

If you've lived in metro LA or the Bay Area metroplex all your driving life, you might wonder why it matters. But tire injures do occur. Travelling with a friend not long ago on, had a sudden tire failure at freeway speeds. Culprit proved to be a bolt (from some passing vehicle) which went, screw-end first right into the middle of the tread surface of his tire. Awful big hole to plug.

If you're 2nd day out of Seattle on I-94, headed for the Twin Cities and you have a tire problem between say Billings, MT and Dickinson, ND you're well over 200 miles from the closest Audi dealer and likely a LOT further from one who services R8's or has a line on R8 replacement tires. The quality and care of the local flat-bed crew (if there is one) might well be a concern out there also.

But the bike analogy is a good one, and I'll take that advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
No Davey ,But you could ditch your passenger and put the flat tire in the passenger SEAT, barely. Fortunately in L.A. nice flat bed haulers are very common.:)

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Harrison: be sure to post a picture of your flat bed trailer hitched up to your R8;)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Not sure what the U.K. considers a normal jack...but it makes sense to support both front and rear evenly not to induce any extra TWISTING like when I enter driveways... 12 inches of air under tire. :) I can't even get on that trailer with my chopper without scraping !! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts