Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I had put my OEM R8 spare tire for sale in the for sale forum and am surprised no one is jumping on it. Yes the price is high but these collapsable spares are very expensive, I just bought one for one of my Porsche’s and it was $1200 which is more then my R8 spare.

Isn’t anyone concerned about getting a flat especially if you’re in an area where is no cell service and you’re in the middle of no where ?

The reason I bought this spare was I had an experience in my 991 where I must have ran over something on the highway and my pressure went from 36 down to 0 in literally 3 minutes ... it was the first time this ever happened to me and I knew from that point forward I would not own a car without a spare.

Here is the link if anyone is interested, it fits perfectly in the frunk.

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Ahh, spare tires. Manufacturers certainly screwed this up in recent years.

With the shift to run flats in the industry, it seems most manufacturers believe spares are no longer important. But, of course, that's just not true. If you get a serious puncture, even a run-flat becomes useless (after 50 miles or so). That may or may not be enough to even get you back home. It's another story, but I had a situation where I was away from home, had a blow out on an RFT, and given it was a Sunday afternoon, I almost didn't have a way back home - would have turned into an overnight affair waiting for tire shops to open on Monday.

So yeah, spare tires are definitely still important. Now, that said, I don't have a spare in my DD or the R8. In the DD, I switched away from the RFTs as they were terribly uncomfortable and they were pretty much self-fulfilling prophecies - they'd get damaged more than any tire I've ever owned in my life. So, similar to the R8, I have a "kit" in the trunk that has a compressor, some plugs, and goo. It wouldn't help in a blow-out, but it could probably fix pretty much any smaller damage enough to get home.

The R8, being a sports car, is forgiven for not having a spare - weight is important, and space is limited. But DDs (sedans, coupes, and SUVs)? Not forgiven. Here I blame the cheap manufacturers who are glad to forego the cost of an additional rim and tire. Meanwhile, they've even removed the SPACE in the trunk for these spares, so if you chose to carry one, you'd lose a good deal of your trunk space. It's a very silly trend.

I liken this having a light burn out and needing to call a professional to change it for you. Without a spare, a blowout or serious puncture now needs a tow truck. That's a step backwards - not progress. Meanwhile, the RFTs are hardly a replacement for conventional tires. Not only are they terrible on comfort and weight, but unless you're 50 miles or less from your destination, you're now still stranded AND still need to get a professional to change it out. Meanwhile, gone is the convenience of simply popping your trunk, jacking the car, and swapping out the rim.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Actually you had an offer from me, with local pick up. I will honor that for another two weeks if you decide. Meantime I will carry A6 allroad donut for $200 for long trips in my R8, which also fits in the frunk.
911 is a similar story, I had VW Touareg emergency wheel and small tire 175/45/17? in my 997.2 C4s for a while before coming across reasonably priced Porsche OEM spare in classifieds.
It seems to me that people who worried settled this issue right away upon purchase of the car, others probably not ready to spend an extra grand for something they might never need.
Also living in tri-state area gives you some comfort that help is only few miles or few minutes away with potential bill far less than cost of OEM spare.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your offer is greatly appreciated but unfortunately it is not what I am looking to accept. At the same time I just went through this with my recent 718 Cayman purchase and saw a lot of great deals on the 2000 era boxsters spares for only $300. I purchased a brand new ridiculously price spare for $1200 from Suncoast Porsche because I am not comfortable having a spare tire that old which might be dried out.

I completely understand that anyone else might not be concerned about this but for me it is an issue.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, spare tires. Manufacturers certainly screwed this up in recent years.

With the shift to run flats in the industry, it seems most manufacturers believe spares are no longer important. But, of course, that's just not true. If you get a serious puncture, even a run-flat becomes useless (after 50 miles or so). That may or may not be enough to even get you back home. It's another story, but I had a situation where I was away from home, had a blow out on an RFT, and given it was a Sunday afternoon, I almost didn't have a way back home - would have turned into an overnight affair waiting for tire shops to open on Monday.

So yeah, spare tires are definitely still important. Now, that said, I don't have a spare in my DD or the R8. In the DD, I switched away from the RFTs as they were terribly uncomfortable and they were pretty much self-fulfilling prophecies - they'd get damaged more than any tire I've ever owned in my life. So, similar to the R8, I have a "kit" in the trunk that has a compressor, some plugs, and goo. It wouldn't help in a blow-out, but it could probably fix pretty much any smaller damage enough to get home.

The R8, being a sports car, is forgiven for not having a spare - weight is important, and space is limited. But DDs (sedans, coupes, and SUVs)? Not forgiven. Here I blame the cheap manufacturers who are glad to forego the cost of an additional rim and tire. Meanwhile, they've even removed the SPACE in the trunk for these spares, so if you chose to carry one, you'd lose a good deal of your trunk space. It's a very silly trend.

I liken this having a light burn out and needing to call a professional to change it for you. Without a spare, a blowout or serious puncture now needs a tow truck. That's a step backwards - not progress. Meanwhile, the RFTs are hardly a replacement for conventional tires. Not only are they terrible on comfort and weight, but unless you're 50 miles or less from your destination, you're now still stranded AND still need to get a professional to change it out. Meanwhile, gone is the convenience of simply popping your trunk, jacking the car, and swapping out the rim.

Completely agree wih this, my sons 340i has the runflats with no spare, our new Q7 has runflats with no spare and my new 540 has runflats BUT at least I had the option this time to have a spare ... yes the trunk is not as big but I want a spare ...

My daughters Audi has a spare and it’s only $49k ... shouldn’t every car come with one !!!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
R8 where. Do u put the space....sucks. ..but true .

I have a GT3 991...looked for spare but can not put in the frunk.
Again this sucks plus Center lock wheels.
C4298476-BA98-4998-B2E1-A99D392C1D77.jpeg

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi there - am interested in this and have PM'd. Thanks
Hello vishnus11,

Yes it is available, for some strange reason I am not sure how to use the pm feature here since they changed the format of the website. My email is [email protected] please send me an email so I can respond to you .

thanks,

Alan

·
Registered
107 Posts
My SQ5 has the "flat" inflatable tire in the trunk. Depending on the weather and how I'm feeling if/when I do get a flat, I would probably just tow it home. Its good for peace of mind but in my R8 I'm rarely ever more than 60 miles from home.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My SQ5 has the "flat" inflatable tire in the trunk. Depending on the weather and how I'm feeling if/when I do get a flat, I would probably just tow it home. Its good for peace of mind but in my R8 I'm rarely ever more than 60 miles from home.
I was surprised to see my daughters 2020 Q5 had the collapsible spare as well. Her 2018 A4 had the regular donut spare.

·
Registered
On the hunt R8 performance
22 Posts
Do any other
Actually you had an offer from me, with local pick up. I will honor that for another two weeks if you decide. Meantime I will carry A6 allroad donut for $200 for long trips in my R8, which also fits in the frunk.
911 is a similar story, I had VW Touareg emergency wheel and small tire 175/45/17? in my 997.2 C4s for a while before coming across reasonably priced Porsche OEM spare in classifieds.
It seems to me that people who worried settled this issue right away upon purchase of the car, others probably not ready to spend an extra grand for something they might never need.
Also living in tri-state area gives you some comfort that help is only few miles or few minutes away with potential bill far less than cost of OEM spare.
I’m new to the R8 world. Looking to buy one. Do they not have even a donut spare? Having had three catastrophic blow outs (road debris at night, one cracked a wheel) a donut would be a minimum.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is sold but I can tell you it is very hard to find one and they are expensive but I think well worth it. One weird thing is that these foldable spares are so expensive both for the R8 and Porsche’s that I was surprised to find when I got my daughter‘s 2020 Q5 it came with the same type of spare. Her A4’s before this car were all regular donuts.

·
Registered
On the hunt R8 performance
22 Posts
Mine is sold but I can tell you it is very hard to find one and they are expensive but I think well worth it. One weird thing is that these foldable spares are so expensive both for the R8 and Porsche’s that I was surprised to find when I got my daughter‘s 2020 Q5 it came with the same type of spare. Her A4’s before this car were all regular donuts.
Do the dealers sell them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts