Audi R8 Forums banner

Stabilization control (ESC) fault on Gen 1 V10

5K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Amzey 
#1 ·
Morning,

I got this on the school run this morning, flashed up when I was on the bypass at speed, alarmingly. On the way home it dissapeared for about 5 mins and then came on again.

When I switch the engine off and on again, it comes on immediately everytime. Anyone know what this is, or any way to reset it, or do I need to take it into audi. The thing is with audi, they won't have a slot for a week and I don't really want to drive it with an error on the screen - do you know if Audi Roadside Assist would be able to fix it, clear it?

Photo attached.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Took in into Audi, Watford Audi, good dealer, looked at it quickly without a booking. They diagnosed it as a fault with the passenger side exhaust flap/valve. It's a Capristo exhaust but doesn't sound as if the flap is not working, sounds loud and then quiet. Error light came on again the other day but went off by itself later in the journey.....maybe a dodgy sensor ?

#3 ·
Had it come on on mine yesterday on the way back from town. Was accelerating normally from a stop sign. Warning came on and car wouldn't go above 3k rpm. Pulled to side of road. Turned off and back on and all was fine. Gonna take it out today and see if it returns.

#4 ·
Mine didn't do the 3k rpm limit thing, it still drives fine, although you can't turn ESC Off when the errors displayed.
It's been off for about a month now but it's come back again today, won't turn off, bloody annoying, I wonder if an indie can clear that error code ?

#6 ·
Had it hooked up to a diagnostics machine and it came up with the following errors: exhaust valve/flap and mass air flow sensor. The chap cleared the codes, so no lights on my dash now. Do you think I need any replacement parts..? He mentioned it might be a sensor in the air box, it’s booked into MRC next week, having a carbon clean (if it needs it after the health check) and also BMC filter upgrade. I’ll get them to look at it, if it doesn’t need the carbon clean, I might get them to put there stage 2 map on it, as it’s the same price as a c.clean.

#10 ·
if it doesn’t need the carbon clean, I might get them to put there stage 2 map on it, as it’s the same price as a c.clean.
Stage 2 or stage 1 remap would that be?
Stage 2 is hardware installation if I understand the term correctly. Would be interested to hear your plans!

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
If you are going to the expense of a carbon clean and air filter upgrade it would make sense to replace the MAF sensor at the same time.

#13 ·
Would be interested to know what it runs once you've had the work done.

#14 ·
Funny thing is, it feels bloomin fast with ‘only’ 490bhp..! The way I’m going to look at it is if I make 542bhp after all the work, I’ll be happy as it will be making stock power and I would of gained 50bhp back, anything over that amount will be a nice bonus.

#15 ·
Should make more than that with those mods. I would be disappointed with much less than 580 if it were me.

#16 ·
The air mass meter is causing the ESP light to come on, it needs to have accurate air flow numbers to do the torque calculations which are used for stability control.

If an air mass goes down you get ESP warnings as well as EPC warnings.

Change them both and if running aftermarket filters that are oiled, bin them. They are normally the cause of failed MAF's.

Cheers Ricky

#17 ·
Hi Ricky, thanks for the advice, I copied that and sent it to MRC, I'll see what they say. I did have the BMC air filters installed just now, not sure if they are oiled, maybe lightly oiled?
Anyway, I had an email from MRC just now, cars ready to collect tomorrow and it's now running 603bhp. Well happy with that!! I should feel and extra 110bhp! I'll report back after I've had a good drive.

#19 ·
I’ve posted on the performance mods section but I’ll mention on here too. Yes Trev450, so happy with those results, I picked her up yesterday morning, Doug at MRC was very informative, showed me the dyno graph (attached). Regarding the MAF sensor, the fault was due to the clip not being plugged in, it was just loose, so that was easily sorted. The BMC filters are very lightly oiled, so that shouldn’t be an issue going forward.
On the drive home it was 0c and the roads were properly frosty, so couldn’t really open her up but on the m40 motorway cruising in 7th gear, I could easily tell she had more low down torque, it was easily noticeable.
Today it was a bit sunnier (5c lol), so I got my foot down a bit. Went through 2nd gear and most of 3rd and yes, most definitely there is a lot more power there, it just picks up and goes, not that it was slow before but now it feels like it’s got power everywhere and not just towards the redline, I thought I had a supercar with supercar performance before but it really is noticeable how much more power there is now. I can only describe it as being quite scary and I guess the feeling Hurracan owners must have, it really is massively noticeable but I guess I shouldn’t of been surprised really as I just added 110bhp..!
Another thing is that with sports mode on and in manual, the stronic bangs the gears home harder, there is more of a punch in the back motion, which is nice but doesn’t unsettle the car. Also, from the capristo, there are more crackles and burbles when you let off but not all the time and not too many.
Lasty, the engine feels a lot smoother in its pick up and noise, it used to sound like a bag of nuts and bolts in a washing machine at tickover and when cold, I just thought v10s all sounded like that but now that diesely/taperty sound is pretty much gone, not sure if that is due to the carbon clean or remap.
Over all, bloody happy with it, just wish weather was warmer so I could explore that engine some more.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.