Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some one advise the best quality braided brake lines for my Audi R8 V10 plus 2017 model.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I've used Goodrich, Aeroquip and HEL in the past. All good and nothing really to choose between them.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Serious question; what is the advantage of using braided brake lines?

I looked inside one of them, there was a plastic/hard-rubber tube inside. So I would assume the outer braided section is just to keep inner tube stable. So, the inner tube must be more corrosion resistant or something, making it better than the OEM brake lines.
The outer braided section might also be less prone to expansion. It cannot be zero expansion; it is braided and bendable. But must be better than the rubber brake lines. (Maybe?) Nevertheless, I do not know if one can tell the difference in braking power when the rubber brake lines expand under pressure.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
The main advantage is generally regarded to be less expansion under hard braking. This of course is more effective for track use than road driving. I guess another advantage is they are going to be more durable than rubber ones.

·
Registered
2008 R8 R-Tronic
117 Posts
The inside of the SS lines is teflon and not rubber. And yes using SS lines will help for the track. If you don't track, you don't really need them.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Most are cheaply made and more likely to fail than the OEM rubber brake lines.
That's what I am afraid of.

I've looked at the prices for HEL. I think the cheapest ones I found were less expensive than the OEM rubber ones. I know more expensive does not mean beter, but, I am not used to aftermarket being cheaper than OEM either.

So, any feedback from the community members is a huge welcome.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes please I agree. I want the best quality. It’s my major concern

·
Registered
2020 performance coupe Mythos black
161 Posts
The brakes on cars in this class are so good, they are of no real practical benefit. They do not expand, true, but are less durable…the semi hard inners can be prone to cracking

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I run USP braided lines. 034 also has offerings, both good quality and dot compliant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
while I have read a lot of negative comments on installing SS brake lines, I must say that the pedal feel on my 2014 v10 was improved remarkably. I have the stock brake lines on my RS4 which has more or less the same front brakes and it feels spongy and numb by comparison.

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe 2014 SQ5
548 Posts
Rubber brake line deteriorate faster (allowing expansion under hard braking) than braided brake lines,

·
Registered
2020 performance coupe Mythos black
161 Posts
while I have read a lot of negative comments on installing SS brake lines, I must say that the pedal feel on my 2014 v10 was improved remarkably. I have the stock brake lines on my RS4 which has more or less the same front brakes and it feels spongy and numb by comparison.
yeah that’s because, probably, your previous system needed fluid/bleeding.
cannot tell you how many blind tests I have seen, done. A well maintained brake system…..impossible to tell .

·
Registered
289 Posts
It's a small sample size, and you could argue a biased study owner (although they supply both I believe...) but the below is interesting.

clif notes: Much less expansion under pressure (several orders of magnitude), longer life, larger factor of safety.

Not saying this is human detectable by your average driver, but stainless lines are superior in performance to standard OE rubber in my experience and in the limited literature I've seen. This is not the only place I've seen similar, this was just a quick one to find. Many motorcycle riders (myself included) swear by stainless lines, probably in part because braking is by predominantly by hand feel, not pedal feel, so the subtle change may be easier to perceive.

We're talking about ~$100 thing, and if you're using factory lines, should be replaced every few years... probably something to consider. Also, many brands offer DOT approved stainless lines these days, so even that is addressed. I haven't done it on my R8 since I haven't done the lines yet (I probably should here soon actually :unsure:), but I've done it on my S2000 and every motorcycle I've ever owned.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
No vendors in this thread….

1 - 20 of 28 Posts