Audi R8 Forums banner

Stasis Exhaust installed

28K views 108 replies 26 participants last post by  desperado 
#1 ·
I just had the new Stasis exhaust installed, and here is a two-page photo gallery of the process if you're interested.

http://gallery.achtuning.com/main.php/v/Customers/Audi/R8/Roman/

I am liking the upgrade especially since I am going to be frequent track user with the R8, but it does transform the sound and feel from being a "civilized" daily driver exotic to a more aggressive one. So it wouldn't be for everyone. Achtuning (the installer) says it weighs 30 lbs lighter, and I can feel a modest improvement in power delivery at higher revvs.

Roman

#3 ·
It sounds more like the dyno clip than the test drive clip, since there isn't much sustained high revving on the test drive clip. It sounds better in person vs. on video across the tach range. It's very sensitive to the throttle you are giving it. At idle it rumbles like a muscle car, then after 4000 rpm it takes on more of an italian pitch (IMO). It's a really cool sound between 4 - 8000 rpm, but it is quite a bit louder under full throttle vs. stock. When cruising it's polite enough not to startle people walking their dogs on the side of the street, but takes on a different personality under load. Not sure if this helps, but since you're in San Fran maybe you can go over to Stasis and get an in-person sampling of it. I am liking it a lot, although it did take me a day to get used to.

#4 ·
My Miltek Cat back can be too quiet and too loud and everything in between.I think Nascar decibles are acheivable on my car. I must be nicer to the neighbors 'cuz I have come home late and under power a few times. I personally enjoy nascar sounds passing before me but it could give some people a heart attack. Last nite I passed the police station thinking ...the people inside station can probably hear me. You guys are definitely gonna enjoy. I took rides on the autobahn with stock exhaust and it sounded pretty dissapointing---COMPARATIVELY !!!!!! At least you can hear the esp working though!

#6 ·
I think Nascar decibles are acheivable on my car.
Wow. Its a bit shocking to see someone compare the Audi R8 with a NASCAR, and have the NASCAR be the goal to strive for! LOL!.. (all in jest!)
I must admit that when I hear the Stasis exhaust videos, Nascar is the furthest thing from my mind.

WOW,.. very difficult choice here!

. OR

#8 · (Edited)
I too have been searching for the right exhaust. So far I think the Miltek is too quiet. The Stasis IMO sounds too deep like a American V8 on the video. But I am hoping to hear Roman's car in person. I am looking for the high pitched F1 sound like the Capristo remote control valves. Most of the cars that have Capristo sounds awesome. And they cost about the same as Stasis and Miltek =$5K.

#9 ·
Congrats Gig!

I've heard the exhaust in person and will be installing one on mine as well. The sound is definitely more like a German race car than any Nascar I've ever heard!

Enjoy it... Good choice!

#10 · (Edited)
Capristo makes a great exhaust. I've seen many of them on Porsches. There is no better quality than Capristo, and having the programmable remote to make the angry R8 turn into a purring quiet ***** cat in the right places, is just super.

That being said, for me, the Capristo actually sounds a little lower pitched than the Stasis. Not much, but a little. Also, from my prior experience with Capristo, I would guess that when the valve is opened fully, the Capristo is the louder of the two, tho it doesn't really sound that way in the long video. Those things can roar!!! I wish we had videos with high quality sound of both exhausts taken under the same conditions.

Anyway, here are the best videos now available for each. I know that I would never be able to identify one from the other without prior knowledge. They both sound great.

So sit back, turn up your volume, and you decide.
PS.. you can play more than one at the same time!

Capristo:

Stasis:

#11 ·
Hey Vincent,
Just got your PM and will respond. The short answer is, absolutely we can meet up and you can check it out in person. It would be great to get your comparison vs. what I think it sounds like. I took it out again today and did some redline pulls going onto the highway. It really does sound more awesome each day that I drive it.

Roman

#12 ·
Some of these exausts might be a tad too loud. Sure I have heard...If it is too loud ,then you are too old !! As long as you get the power increase you are looking for more power to you! :cool::cool::cool::rolleyes:

#15 · (Edited)
SFR8, sorry for the delay in responding. I have not noticed a loss in torque anywhere along the curve. Should there be? I have noticed a slightly quicker run up to redline than before, so maybe there is less time to notice. This is what I was looking for, since I have a lot of track days ahead of me in 2009 with this car.

Vincent had a listen yesterday as we drove alongside each other for a bit on the highway. How did you like it, Vincent? I know you have, and have had, a lot of cool cars so I'd love your takeaway.

Roman

#17 · (Edited)
Roman
Thanks for the opportunity to meet up and hear the Stasis in person yesterday.
I don't think you could have chosen a better exhaust for this car. In person it sounds much more aggressive esp. during the initial acceleration. Very deep sound of a V8. But just right during normal cruising and idling.
I could not feel any drone when driving along side. The sound of the exhaust definitely made your car seems like it wants to go faster and more edgier.

#16 ·
Hi Roman - thanks for your reply. In previous cars where I installed a performance exhaust, the engine would breath better at high rpm but loose some low-end torque. The engine felt loose/lazy at low rpm. I don't know why. May be the exhaust system was not that good.

Anyway, I am happy to hear that this is not a problem with the Stasis exhaust. I just heard the R8 V-10 engine/exhaust note in Youtube. It is no match for the Stasis. For me the V8 has enough power. In fact, I am not even using all of it. I am much more interested in getting an exotic exhaust sound than upgrading to a V10.

#19 ·
My dealer happens to be an authorized distributor of Stasis products (part of Statsis Audi dealer partner program). The dealer tells me that it would not affect the warranty except for the exhaust portion which will be covered by Stasis' 4 year warranty. If there is any problems with the exhaust they will get coverage for me from Stasis. The remaining warranty stays intact. Plus if you have the installation performed by the dealer, you are covered either way since they did the work. Look up Stasis website and see if your dealer is part of their network. Best solution thus far to having aftermarket performance product installed while keeping the warranty.

#20 ·
Hearing these systems in PERSON is the only way to go. Have you heard the Miltek systems in person ? I can't imagine anyone would want anything louder than these Milteks ( for the streets ).:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

#22 ·
And that was with Patty driving !

#23 ·
I am about to commit to buying either the Milltek or the Stasis but cant still decide... The Statis is a bit more expensive but I like the high-pitched sound from the video, the Milltek seems to have a more typical deeper tone. Anybody that has heard both in person can help me out? Is the Stasis much louder at idle or lower speeds as to make it annoying for a daily driver??

Thanks for the help,

Diego

#24 ·
OMG!!!!! I just installed mine this thing is amazing the video clip does it no justice......it doesnt sound like an R8 anymore, and when u downshift say from 4th to 2nd and hit that sweet spot on the rpm range its like heaven Im in love with this exhaust........highly recomend it !!!!!.........It even made the PPI sound bruitish and less refind comparitively

#27 ·
Can't wait to hear the Stasis! Is Bruitish a good thing? I have a Low Key color and am able to stay low key on the sounds when I need to .Like driving alongside the Police...time to be low key. As long as your system is quiet at idle you should be able to tool around the cops. I use my R8 alot lately..Swing by my office ,stuff like that. Someday I will get all blinged out with 12 screaming cylinders. But just not right now.My driving record is still clean and I want to keep it that way for as long as possible.

#30 ·
I think your gonna' love the video I'm working on. I do. Miltek soundtrak comin' soon!

#31 ·
Just installed the Stasis on mine... It really sounds amazing, like a F1 car... I doubt any other exhaust on the market right now sounds like it. At cruising speeds though it is significantly louder than stock, probably takes some time to get used to. Will post a Vid soon...

-Diego

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.