Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just babying the car this pm, and was going to remove some scratches which I had noticed on the drivers side rear bumper panel just behind the rear wheel.

There were originally 3 vertical scratches about 2cm apart which I noticed just after it had been parked in the garage 4 weeks ago for the first time. The car is usually kept under an indoor cover, but I don't think I did this on the first night or on a few nights since then. I put the torch on it today and over an 8" square patch there are loads of mainly horizontal scratches about 18" off the ground, which have cut into the paintwork. It wouldn't be grit off the road as its round the corner from the rear tyre.

The rest of the paintwork is immaculate.

I thought it might be rodents but the only ones we have round here are mice and field mice with stumpy legs. Any clues anyone? Is a nightime vigil with the shotgun the answer?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
What kind of animal is a CHAV? Could stones have been thrown from the front tire to scratch there?? You have the 305's don't you?? I have yet to see a Paris to Dakar version of the R 8. I really think the R8 would do as well as the Porsche 959 Paris to Dakar if not BETTER. It was the 959 that led to the R 8 styling.IMHO

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Google is my freind, Chavs' over here are HOOLIGANS. We want to stay away on the HOOLIGANS HOLIDAY !!! You car may get flipped over and set on fire. Usually when the L.A. Lakers win a championship. :eek: :eek::cool:

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Some how you must experience a basketball championship game. Should be on anyones bucketlist. just take a TAXI.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I plan on going to (american)football, soccer, baseball, basketball and ice hockey at least once...what other sports are big over there?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
N A S C A R !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I plan on going to (american)football, soccer, baseball, basketball and ice hockey at least once...what other sports are big over there?
Female wrestling of all varieties (mud, jell-o, oil) always draws true sportsmen

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks DD for the one relevant reply:):)

No chavs round here, only half-cut haggis!

Yes I do have the 305's but cannot see how any chips would make it round the curve like that, and its only on one side. Current thinking is that it might have been a cat or something similar when it was patiently waiting for 3 1/2 weeks at the docks whilst Audi tried to remember who ordered the car.

I'll take it up to the dealer to see if they can sort it out.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
If it was on the nearside I would have guessed at thistles !

Joking apart, scrubby bush at the kerb edge can scratch up the car but not on the drivers side.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it was on the nearside I would have guessed at thistles !

Joking apart, scrubby bush at the kerb edge can scratch up the car but not on the drivers side.

I have a feeling it was the Slovakian type who 'prepped' the car prior to my pick up. The hoses they use are ridged and can scratch quite badly.

I blamed the council gritters for the scratches on my wifes old A6. It turned out that it was the hoses from the manual car washes. That was my fault I'm afraid.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Rubber hose dragged along the ground can pick up a lot of grit. I have done it with a pressure washer hose, luckily not on the R8 though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a feeling it was the Slovakian type who 'prepped' the car prior to my pick up. The hoses they use are ridged and can scratch quite badly.

I blamed the council gritters for the scratches on my wifes old A6. It turned out that it was the hoses from the manual car washes. That was my fault I'm afraid.
There is no excuse for a hose scratching paintwork! It should be kept well away at all times.. Either find a longer hose/lance, or, move the pressure washer to suit.

Likewise, it makes me smile when you see people at the petrol pumps filling up from the other side of the car. DRAGGING the fuel-line over their boot/roof.. :eek::rolleyes: REALLY?!!!

You cant point the blame at the council I'm afraid. Anyone that uses a manual car-wash (be it an automated 'roller' style, a pressure washer and 'brush' one, or, even the local hand-wash that has set up around the corner) should know better. :confused:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You cant point the blame at the council I'm afraid. Anyone that uses a manual car-wash (be it an automated 'roller' style, a pressure washer and 'brush' one, or, even the local hand-wash that has set up around the corner) should know better. :confused:[/QUOTE]

I can blame the council! It makes me wince everytime I approach a gritter and hear the cloud of grit peppering the car. Lucky you Harrison - I bet you don't even know what a gritter is??

Since my mate at the local dealership told me about the hose issue a few years ago, I have only ever washed the cars myself, using a Karcher HDS heated power washer - and I'm very careful about the hose!

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Yes H, you don't know how lucky you are!! We have grit, salt, bl**dy great potholes, fords, tiny little roads with scratchy hedges down each side........and when you tell the young people today......:D:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can blame the council! It makes me wince everytime I approach a gritter and hear the cloud of grit peppering the car. Lucky you Harrison - I bet you don't even know what a gritter is??

Since my mate at the local dealership told me about the hose issue a few years ago, I have only ever washed the cars myself, using a Karcher HDS heated power washer - and I'm very careful about the hose!
OK - maybe I got the wrong end of the stick here.. The way you worded your comment, I thought you were trying to say that the grit picked up by a hose at the manual car wash was gritter related :confused:

Indeed - there is nothing worse than having to pass a gritter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts