Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any pictures / thoughts on R8 with racing stripes??

I think it could look great but would like to see before taking the plunge!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I'd be worried that the car would look like a hot crossed bun, especially if the side blade was a large contrast from the main paint colour. Would you stripe to match the blade or use a different colour?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I heard about a Gallardo with a stripe and 'thought' it sounded crap, however having seen it, it looks awesome - needs to be painted thought - tape stripes are tacky ;-)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be worried that the car would look like a hot crossed bun, especially if the side blade was a large contrast from the main paint colour. Would you stripe to match the blade or use a different colour?
LMAO very good
Was thinking same colour as the blades. Dont want it to be anything 'ricey'

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
If you have a decent hand at Photoshop, you could add a stripe to a pic of your car and see what it would look like

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Racing stripes, in the beginning, had some purpose and meaning. When traditional national colors were the norm in the '50's and '60's, blue racing stripes were used on a white car to distinguish US cars from the all-white (or silver) German cars.

No better exemplar of this can be found than Briggs Cunningham, gentleman racer (and America's Cup yacht racing defender), who used what came to be known as "Cunningham livery" on all his cars, including his white Cadillac sedans (!!) that ran at LeMans in the '50's. Here's an example on the potent C4R:

This livery has been seen on many Cobras and GT40 Fords as well, because it's traditional US racing colors.

I have often thought a white R8 would look great with a similar striping. Width, layout and number of stripes is critical for the right "look" on each car.

How 'bout it, photoshop guys: show us some R8's in racing stripes!

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
So that's where Audi gets some of their ideas !! DISNEY !!:)

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Racing stripes, in the beginning, had some purpose and meaning. When traditional national colors were the norm in the '50's and '60's, blue racing stripes were used on a white car to distinguish US cars from the all-white (or silver) German cars.

No better exemplar of this can be found than Briggs Cunningham, gentleman racer (and America's Cup yacht racing defender), who used what came to be known as "Cunningham livery" on all his cars, including his white Cadillac sedans (!!) that ran at LeMans in the '50's.
willyjp - you are a wealth of information and a great resource!

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Well, at the risk of being thought of as tacky, I actually added stripes to my R8. I got it with matching side blades, and wanted to accent the blades a bit. I don't care for the full mismatched blades, it just looks wrong to me. So I added stripes to the lead edge of the blades. And I have numbers on it cuz I track it so much. For what it's worth, I've gotten a ton of compliments on them, many people don't like the missmatched blades. And it looked too plain with nothing at all. Go ahead, flame away :eek:

Before I added the stripes, it looked really plain:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No flames from me - nice job
personally I like the contrast blade though - but now I can't get the image of a Silver Audi R8 'Hot Cross Bun' out of my head!

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
willyjp - you are a wealth of information and a great resource!
got to be SOME advantage to being old(er than dirt!) and having a big stack of old car magazines from the '50's and '60's!!:rolleyes:;)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
those vertical reducing width bands make the blade look like it sticks out further from the car than it does - looks good to me.

If someone did want to change the colour of their blades, couldn't they just get a decent car wrap company to do them rather than paint them?

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
No flames from me - nice job
personally I like the contrast blade though - but now I can't get the image of a Silver Audi R8 'Hot Cross Bun' out of my head!
That looks great, perfect color combo

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I am a big fan of flames. Black flames coming off of the front carbon fiber peices would look alright to me, and if I used vinyl wrap it would be like a bra for protection. Why didn't I think of that?? Was planning on black flames on the truck soon.I have only one person I trust to lay out flames. Ralphy is the BEST. I noticed that the best flames look like water dripping when you look at flames upside down. It took Ralphy hours and hours to lay the flames on a Harley project of mine. Blackflames against a stock Porsche color- Amazon Green Pearl Mettallic. Looks petrol blue in sun, BLACK at nite and green in the shade. A color from Porsches' early 90s' colors. Won second place at Beverly Hills Rodeo Drive bike show. Flame on !! :eek: :eek::eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts