Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to get the car washed and take it for a short drive. After washing it I started down the freeway on-ramp. While in 3rd gear at ~7,000 rpm I hit black ice. Scariest moment in my life! Without stability control my car would be in a salvage yard.

What I found:

summer tires do not steer in snow
summer tires do not stop in snow or ice
my heart pumps VERY fast when the car is out of control... and it takes a while for my heart to get back to normal
I do not pee my pants when I am scared to death
I do not need to drive the R8 again in the winter without winter tires:D

·
Registered
158 Posts
In other news, man find rock falls when dropped from height!
Film at 11. :D

Just kidding....
I drive my M5 all year round and once the average daily temp drops below 45F, my winter wheels and tires get mounted on the car.
We have amazing machines that have some rather basic rules - good traction being a fundamental one. It would behoove us to ensure that we get to enjoy many more days of fun motoring by swapping winter rubber on at the appropriate time.
Glad you found out the limits of the summer rubber without injury :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
As a follow up - I haven't found any wheels that would clear the R8 at smaller sizes for winter use.
Have you done much research on that?
Any thoughts would be valuable for other members including me :)

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I elected to not drive my car in the winter so I did not purchase winter tires. When we had a warm day in MN. I could not stand it anymore and took my car out for a drive. BAD idea. Next year, even if I don't drive it much, I will get snow tires. My life is worth more than a couple grand for tire rubber.

There is a tread on this site that provides information on available winter tires for the R8.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I elected to not drive my car in the winter so I did not purchase winter tires. When we had a warm day in MN. I could not stand it anymore and took my car out for a drive. BAD idea. Next year, even if I don't drive it much, I will get snow tires. My life is worth more than a couple grand for tire rubber.

There is a tread on this site that provides information on available winter tires for the R8.
You are absolutely right... cars like the R8 that push the envelope are far less tolerant of conditions that other cars would be "okay" in.
I'll try a search for that thread and thanks!

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
For those who might think that since tires are black =they are for black ice...They are NOT.I may have just saved a life today ! What country races on ice...many but they have the right tires.:)

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Black ice is a trill ride in unto itself. At Disneyland in the 50's they called it the E ticket ride. Accelerating hard as you approach black ice helps you focus on the present...and watch your life pass by your eyes. :eek:)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I still have a few E tickets put away ! They must have been in use up to the 70s . I would rather crash in the R 8 than in these other Plastic fantastic super-cars. I have personally taken the front end off of my R8 and boy was I impressed.VERY solid construction. Still no crash tests that I am aware of though !!:D:):D:) Have a good one !!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Even summer tires work fine in the winter, so long as you are careful. The TC is very good in the car. Some tires may do it better, but the regular ones do just fine. I've never had winter tires on a car, and never will.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Even summer tires work fine in the winter, so long as you are careful. The TC is very good in the car. Some tires may do it better, but the regular ones do just fine. I've never had winter tires on a car, and never will.
One quiet evening in December, while it was freezing, but only just, I turned into the road where our farm is located. Since it's a hairpin and a very narrow road, I was driving slower than walking speed.

The hairpin is slightly inclined and the next thing that happens is that the steering no longer responds and the front goes straight. Somehow the car stopped just before hitting the tree stump towards which it was pointing.

Summer tires on an R8 do not work fine in the winter. If it's slippery, you cannot control the car.

Just to keep things in perspective, I did a 4 day racing course with a series 3 BMW on summer tires. Even in a cold morning with a very slippery track and snow flurries there is nothing like the loss of control that my R8 had that famous evening.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Amen to Rob A,
Snow on the ground...I pulled into a restaurant parking lot that was on an incline so I gave it a LITTLE gas to get up the hill as I was turning into the lot. There was so much torque the rear of the car slipped out to the right and I hit the curb. I was NOT going 3 MPH. No damage, but geez. As I was leaving the lot I went to turn right..again at less than 3 MPH and the car would not steer or stop. Fortunately I could go straight and left with no harm to foul.

A warning with experience...be careful in the snow and ice with summer tires. I have NEVER been in an accident. I am very careful driving. I am getting winter tires next year.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I am in Canada North of Minneapolis. I have a 2001 A6 with "all season", which is another word for summer tires in my opinion. I have never felt a need for winter tires, and have driven in all kinds of horrible conditions.

This is not to say that the R8 would not need them. Maybe the big step up in torque would make a big difference? I have not driven mine on snow yet, so I have no personal experience on how it performs in snow.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Never say never! Driving on ice with the R-Tronik sounds like a tricky test of nerves to say the least .:)Some say their R tronick makes the car sometimes jutter which would make me shudder (on ice).

·
Registered
172 Posts
The poor performance of high speed summer tires on snow and especially ice should not be surprising and is not limited to today's high performance cars. In 1985 (i think) my father purchased one of the first Audi 200 turbo quattro sedans in Europe and we immediately drove to Cortina in the Italian Alps to enjoy the car. It was dry all the way up but on the second night there was ice and some snow. On our first outing that day the car actually slid backwards down a 200 meter road performing no less than 10 perfect spins! Long story short the car was undrivable and Audi had to deliver and install winter tires the next day! Once the winter tires were on it was like a rally car!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Amen to Rob A,
Snow on the ground...I pulled into a restaurant parking lot that was on an incline so I gave it a LITTLE gas to get up the hill as I was turning into the lot. There was so much torque the rear of the car slipped out to the right and I hit the curb. I was NOT going 3 MPH. No damage, but geez. As I was leaving the lot I went to turn right..again at less than 3 MPH and the car would not steer or stop. Fortunately I could go straight and left with no harm to foul.

A warning with experience...be careful in the snow and ice with summer tires. I have NEVER been in an accident. I am very careful driving. I am getting winter tires next year.
And I didn't even give a little gas. I MAY have been touching the brakes when I started the turn.

Extra wide summer tires, that's the only reason as far as I can figure ...

My only consolation is that the MB SL 350 is even worse.

·
Registered
943 Posts
If you lose control of the car, it usually means that you've given it too much power. How you could lose the car going slower than a walk is beyond me.

Ice is ice, and no rubber will help you with that, but snow is no problem with summer tires. Just don't plan on going as fast as you would with winter tires.

I ran over a patch of compacted snow with R888's on and TC on. I gave it some significant gas to feel the TC. The back end stepped out, but I was able to keep it in control with relative ease. And that was with excessive gas.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you lose control of the car, it usually means that you've given it too much power.
All it takes is a slightly inclined road.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
The most important variable with driving on snow and especially ice, is the temperature and relative humidity. At extremely, low or sub-zero temps, all packed snow, and even shear ice roads are fairly easy to drive on as the ice crystals form a very, dry, larger granular texture.

As you hit 0C, or 32F, the presence of liquid water interacting within the ice, and snow crystals gives a much more slippery surface. At low melting temps, all icy or snow (slush) surfaces are at their extremes. At just above freezing, on shear ice, it is certainly possible to find an ice surface in a condition where no tire, without some studs or chains, will hold with any significant traction. Its hydroplaning on a thin sheet of water over smooth ice. You can do it at 1 MPH on such surfaces.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts