Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
6,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got invited to go on this cruise, Some nice cars and I will do my best to proudly represent the newest Super car, Audi R8
http://www.supercarroadtrips.com/
Exotic Car Driver Passenger

Ferrari 355F1 Spyder Manolis Takis
Lamborghini Murcielago Joey Nina
Ferrari 360 Bryan Elizabeth
Lamborghini Gallardo Matt K Julie
Mercedes 300sl Mo Barbara
Lamborghini Diablo VT Greg T Richard
Porsche 930 SlantNose Ryan Catherine
Audi R8 Scott x
Ferrari 355 GTS John Sarah
Porsche 911T Chi Diana
Ferrari 308 Tom Zac
Maserati GranSport Benny Ivanka
Porsche 911 Dan Stephanie
Dodge Viper Roy Charlotte
Maserati GranSport Jon x
Porsche 911Mod Steve Ramponi
Factory Five GTM Gary Tatiana
Ferrari 575M Richard x
Ferrari 308 GTSi Steven x
MB SL55 Shawn Jones
Porsche 911TT Vasilios Kostas
Corvette C5 Z06 KB Dan
Porsche 911TT Samuel Steve
MB CLK63 Matt J Nick
Porsche GT3 Ben John
Shelby GT500 Charles Matt
Ford GT Evan Joe

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Well, you are in GOOD company. Nice to see the R8 with that group of Super cars.......

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
'53 Porsche Restoration PROJECT. (They call me Mr. P) Was this the Supercar (Super Sports Car)of its' day ?? Was Audi on its' heels back then? I think not ! Audi (thankfully) with the R8 is now in the forerunning. :) :)

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
'53 Porsche Restoration PROJECT. (They call me Mr. P) Was this the Supercar (Super Sports Car)of its' day ?? Was Audi on its' heels back then? I think not ! Audi (thankfully) with the R8 is now in the forerunning. :) :)
Wow! '53!! I'm impressed. That's a REAL "356" , no "A" or anything attached.
So, original engine was 1100cc with 1 Solex carb, IIRC. Very closely related to the VW engine, tweaked a bit.

They were ALL coupes. I think the Speedster didn't come along until '54 or so.

If memory serves, they had split windshields up thru '52, and then a kind of angled or creased windshield until the "A" came a long with curved glass in '55

Very neat project, Harrison, and worthy of a 100 pt. resto if you wanted to show it competitively. Of course, you might rather put in a bigger, "incorrect" engine and enjoy driving it more. Neat Car!!:cool:

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
While I search the original engine peices out, I have a '55 dual carb engine to use. New wireloom installed recently. Orig. cloth type. Can't rush this baby! First year for the bent "V" windsheild. You are spot on !! And this model is best known as a '53 356 Pre-A. :) Thanks Willyjp

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I have to correct one thing.

I looked it up and they DID have cabriolets (no speedsters)in like '51-'52
but I think they were VERY rare in the US, if any did make it over at all before we got the speedster

neat pic on the Porsche history website of a '51 split window cabrio!

even after the one piece windshield, they had that mirror on a rod that made it look, at first glance, like it was a split window

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
A 1300 S engine with dual carbs was available as well. Bobby Rahal , one very fast driver was once asked ...What is your FAVOURITE daily driver ? A Porsche 356 C he answered, It only goes 90 MPH but handles well and is a lot of fun at those speeds. :) Before Porsche learned to bend glass, V W was using easy to shape plexiglass on the Micro busses.Those over head kidney shaped corner windows.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If this thread is officially hijacked and you would like to see some more pictures of old Porsches, I have about 50 from this year and last year.
Here are a few.

This is from the Carmel "Concours on Ocean Ave"
This is usually on Tuesday of the car week.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
This year R84ME took me to a cruise /show in Monterey where an immaculate '53 pre A Ivory colored ,Daily driver , FULLY restored CONTINENTAL. Not very much different from mine. Boy , was it nice. It had the Telefunken radio. :)I have the big wind -up clock. If you have any Dash pics of the '53 coupes I would really appreciate. Thanks Dan1

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
This is what I'm supposed to look like when done. :) Need those dash pics to get the electrical right. :)

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
This year R84ME took me to a cruise /show in Monterey where an immaculate '53 pre A Ivory colored ,Daily driver , FULLY restored CONTINENTAL.
It was the Pacific Grove Auto Rally, a very eclectic event! This car is owned by Dave ??? (forget his last name, but I recognize him from local PCA events). This car is cleaner than any of Gordon Ramsey's kitchens! Here are a few shots of the Continental...

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
So, You see Willyjp, early Porsches were Super SportsCars for their time. Actually race cars to be used on the track ...like the R8. 'Cept they only had SMALL dual carbureted engines. Do you think my word usage and euphanisms confuse guys/gals in other countries too much?? I get confused with some of the acronyms used lately and the NEW texting language is fun too !! R84ME...You 'da MAN with those pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dan1 too!! :) And...This '53 is as clean as our kitchen !!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I did take a number of dash pictures of other cars, but no Porsches.
You will just have to come up a few days earlier in 2010.

Here are some pics from 2008

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Davey ,They had to drag me away from Dave as I had a million questions for him. Dave could be 3 or 4 (MAYBE 5 !! )times older than Davey !! I have the important pics I need now. Thanks Dan1 . See you NEXT year ! :) I forgot to mention that Bobby Rahals' favourite daily driver is the 356 C "CONVERTIBLE". Driving it at top speed of 90 MPH keeps him happy. The coupes are much faster but not as much fun for him. Rahal wore corrective lenses while racing. I have another freind who is very fast and wears corrective lenses. Makes me think these guys are fast because they don't see as much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can tell Dan1 likes the early Porsches too. They are just pure racing history. My dream is to drive/NOT RACE (HA HA) the 356 in a Pan-America vintage race.Then if the car is still in one peice, I wish to trade Porsche my 356 for something Turbo and brand spanking new. I was in the Porsche museum , and the only Pre-A on display was weak sauce. I would be willing to let them have mine in their museum. Just a dream...but my dreams usually come true. I am a very lucky Dude.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Harrison: I am absolutely with you on early Porsches....up thru numbers 550 (!!) at least; where they lost me was when they got into the 900's!!

Actually, I'm into old Alfas more. (the "pre-Graduate Giulietta with classic Farina roadster lines share by some Ferraris and Lancias) Since I was driving some of these critters when they were NEW, I am influenced by the fact that the Alfa was a superior driver (to me)...didn't "road hunt" at high speed like the early Porsches.

The Giulietta Veloce absolutely KILLED the Super in club racing around here, but Alfa didn't keep up in the HP race. The Super90 just about evened the score, though I still preferred the Veloce. And we would have killed to get our hands on the Zagato Veloce's they were running in Europe. The 1300cc
SS and SZ actually got up to about 115-118 hp factory stock and in those light bodies they were fast for their time.

The 1600cc Giulia helped, but Alfa fell behind in racing: the factory didn't race or help privateers, so now people only remember Dustin Hoffman and that goofy song!
(He of course drove the new body style Duetto in The Graduate)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
16" wheels with 3" tires was the tire choice back then. These Biased ply square tires do hunt ,especially on todays grooved highways. I have a set of wider(SLIGHTLY) 15" radial tires and wheels to use for serious driving. You just can't fit a much wider tire in the STOCK rear !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts