Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many others I've mentally debated between twin turbos and a supercharger on my Gen1 V10 R8. After months of research both online and from speaking with car owners I gathered a good amount of information.

Some basics of what I figured out.

Twin Turbos will produce higher dyno numbers and more top end MPH. If you're mostly pushing your car from 90mph+, such as in half mile events or intense freeway racing, you may want to consider twin turbos. The "numbers" battle will likely be won going the TT route. Next thing I learned about going the TT route is you better be patient. The window of when most reputable companies can get you in for a start date is anywhere from 4-12 weeks out. The time frame for them to have your car is an additional couple months. Only two companies quoted install times under 6-7 weeks. Of those (no names) I spoke with owners directly who said those time frames were far exceeded. Some owners had their cars gone for 5+ months after being told it would only be a 5 week install. Now this is just my opinion, so I'm not looking for an opinion battle... the companies I would feel 100% confident giving my car to are; Dallas Performance, Fast Intentions (when they have time) and Underground Racing. All three have proven to be highly liked by owners of their cars and have masterful installs.

Supercharger...you have two big brands to consider. VF Engineering and ESS. Two different supercharges so this isn't just a comparison of installers or brand name. With either one you won't produce the WHP figures being advertised by TT companies. The MPH in half mile events may likely not equal those of TT cars. For both of these comparisons I'm talking about the same car with either system. The supercharger will however get you going quicker giving you an easier launch and great 0-100 times. The TT car in many cases has to play catch up to beat the supercharged car to the finish line (if it catches up in time). The wait time to get in for a supercharger install is quick (1-3 weeks). The install time is also very quick (4-6 DAYS). These systems have been mastered for easy installs that are reversible if later desired. The power of the supercharged cars is very usable in all driving scenarios. For people like me who like blasting around town with a lot of 0-80mph sprints, fast canyon drives and some freeway stupidity, the supercharger works well.

In the end I chose the supercharged route. I then researched both the companies. Each company had positive feedback from owners. However VF-Engineering really stood out. VF has many more proven cars on the road from their years of being in the industry. My car is presently at VF getting their system installed. I went to their shop in person to see what kind of place had my loved car. The place is spotless! Super clean which showed no sign of cars being mistreated or ignored. The owner, main man (Gary) and installer were all easy to speak with taking time to answer ALL my many questions. They were 100% honest of what to expect, and what not to expect. So far my dyno numbers were spot on to what they said. My car will come back next week. Until then I can say that I'm super excited as the whole experience with them has been terrific.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I live in West Hollywood, if you have time to meet up when the work is done, I'd love to get your impressions first hand. I'm strongly considering going to VF to supercharge by GT. . .Your reasoning precisely mirrors my own.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just tracked my 6MT TT @ ~950hp crank and found the only time lag was an issue was in incline segments where second gear I'd just light the wheels too easily so would nail it in third.

I remember reading that TT would lower torque below OEM, but I found that not to be the case - I'm 25% up on torque from start of dyno (1500rpm) and at peak torque at 4800pm. Depending on the circuits you're running SC may be the right tool for the job, but I strongly recommend trying out a TT too. It's like strapping jet engines on.

IMG_0643.jpg

·
Registered
311 Posts
What supporting mods do you have to be able to handle ~950 BHP? Fuel/clutch/etc.

I just tracked my 6MT TT @ ~950hp crank and found the only time lag was an issue was in incline segments where second gear I'd just light the wheels too easily so would nail it in third.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Since you are in LA I would check out CFI Designs. They are in La Verne (I'm guessing about an hour from you) and did a great job on my car. I'm 100 percent happy with my turbo kit but feel you can't go wrong either way between a proven turbo or supercharger kit. If I were you a big decision would be which shop locally can build AND service the car in the future. Regardless, keep us updated which way you go.

If you ever travel to Tampa let me know and you can try my car :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Congrats R8 Fan -- good choice -- VF is outstanding!

·
Registered
316 Posts
What supporting mods do you have to be able to handle ~950 BHP? Fuel/clutch/etc.
I'm running Red Ceramic pads on Girodiscs for braking. Clutch is stock, no slipping. For fueling I upgraded the HPFPs - I was 900hp without them but the tuners said that they were maxing their duty cycle (no bueno).

GT wing, new springs, PCV catch can, no cats. It sounded mental but it definitely needs to lose 150KG. I also wasn't happy with the pads - after a few laps got a bunch of vibration in the wheel under moderate braking until easing off.

Seconding checking out CFI - I run this kit and it's brilliant.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks. I'm running at a safe 750 WHP now ~1/2 bar which I suppose is ~900 BHP. Everything stock except for larger DI pump plungers. I'm in the process of adding a boost controller to bump it up a little.

·
Super Moderator
6,040 Posts
The VF800 kit calls for modding the fuel pump in the R8 and Huracan, not sure exactly what it does but my tech who did the install said something about it being a creative way to improve fuel delivery. Anyway I'm on my 3rd VF kit and can't go wrong choosing them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Since you are in LA I would check out CFI Designs. They are in La Verne (I'm guessing about an hour from you) and did a great job on my car. I'm 100 percent happy with my turbo kit but feel you can't go wrong either way between a proven turbo or supercharger kit. If I were you a big decision would be which shop locally can build AND service the car in the future. Regardless, keep us updated which way you go.

If you ever travel to Tampa let me know and you can try my car :)
What if someone happens to be in Tampa? Could that someone try your car as well? Just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
881 Posts

If you ever travel to Tampa let me know and you can try my car
What if someone happens to be in Tampa? Could that someone try your car as well? Just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ofcourse ?

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Hello Gentlemen I have a 2014 ESS Supercharged R8 V10 that I'm selling at a great price. Car is flawless. Here is a link or just call if you have questions. 228 369 0594 I'm really ready to move this car so bring offers
https://www.gcexoticauto.com/inventory/details/40073493

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Has anyone done a super/turbocharger on an RTronic? I think the computer slips the clutch too much to get a good launch with it.
Yes and it's fine. Although I do have a TCU tune from Shardul (ULTIMATEPD). Launch control it if you want a good launch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really appreciate all the input. I as well have heard good things about CFI. The owner, Kyle is easy to get a hold of and seems well educated on his product. The VF kit is a much simpler install with an easier reverse capability. I've been in the Fast Intentions R8 V10 TT and yes it is incredibly fast. My car is being delivered to my house on Thursday of this week. I'll update this post then.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
VF has done a many supercharged R-tron R8's with no issues. Fast Intention has an incredible TT for the R-tron. Stock trans, stock clutch on the TT Fast Intentions car running at both 700whp and 800whp with no issues.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Absolutely Rule12b. I'd be happy to. So far I'm very happy with the my VF experience. My car will come home this Thursday. Gary and Nik at VF really know their stuff. Reaching Gary on the phone or email is very easy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts