Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the thread about the RS5 earlier and remembered that I planned to get my R8 Supercharged when kits began to hit the market... I believe right now most estimates put the HP at around 530-560 after installation...

That's insane, but if true, what does that mean for the V10? If the gains would be about the same, would that put the V10 into 650-700HP territory? Can the trans handle that?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Your Audi warranty for engine, clutch, transmission goes right out the window.......

If you do go for an installation, get a written guarantee from the installers that they will cover any damage to the car caused by the extra power.

And if they won't guarantee it, then DON'T !

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm.. I think all modders understand the implications and consequences of installing mods (especially in expensive cars).

I was more looking to discuss the POSSIBILITIES of supercharging the V10... my comment about the tranny being capable stemmed from the fact that the v8 puts out about 420 and the v10 puts out over 100 more HP on the same tranny -- so we know the tranny can safely handle a supercharged V8...

I'm just wondering what the gains would be on a V10 and if the tranny could handle said gains

·
Registered
718 Posts
That we don't know !

As has been surmised by the size of the engine bay in R8, and the fact that the Le Mans prototype was 620 bhp, it may well be that Audi designed in the possibility to take much more than 414 bhp from the start.

I have had a little experience of tuning, having had my RS4 (2.7 L) chipped from 380 to 420 bhp. I took it to MTM in Germany to be done, and they gave me a categoric guarantee that they would fix any item damaged as a result of their conversion. That satisfied me, and 8 years and 65,000 miles later it still works just fine.

But, they do not offer aftermarket "kits". They do the work and guarantee it. They are also only 3 miles from the factory at Ingolstadt, are mostly ex-Audi engineers, and spend many months testing before they release their products.

I would look to MTM, Abt and others in Germany to see what they offer as they have the experience and factory contacts to know where the limits lie.

As to POSSIBILITIES, MTM already do a supercharged V8 at 560 bhp

http://www.mtm-online.de/en/index.php?nav=3&marke=AU&modell=R8

If they do eventually release somthing for the V10, I would trust their workmanship.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know why this keeps going to warranties and workmanship? I know they have done a V8... I mention that in my first post...

Mods... maybe this should just be closed.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
How does the Murcielago transmission compare to the Gallardo's? Sorry I'm not overly familiar with such details about Lamborghini cars, but if the transmissions are similar, then a 650hp R8 shouldn't be a problem given the latest Murcielago puts out 660hp

·
Registered
935 Posts
The R8 shares the same Graziano gearbox as the outgoing Gallardo.
Gallardo's have been Turbo charged to 600-800HP!!

So, IF assuming they are using a stock gearbox for this Turbo Gallardo, then we could infer, the R8 gearbox would be good for the same.

BUT, I would think 600-700HP is pushing the upper limits of the gearbox..

Check out this link and download PDF for specifications of the Graziano Gearbox http://www.oerlikon.com/ecomaXL/index.php?site=GRAZIANO_EN_gearboxes_for_premium_performance_cars

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would tend to agree that 600+ may be pushing the limits, but do we even think it feasible for a bolt-on SC kit to push it that high? I know many were amazed that a SC could get V10 numbers in a V8

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I would tend to agree that 600+ may be pushing the limits, but do we even think it feasible for a bolt-on SC kit to push it that high? I know many were amazed that a SC could get V10 numbers in a V8
200hp from a supercharger shouldn't be an issue, on the assumption the internals can handle it. There will, of course, be other minor mods needed to get the full HP increase (mapping, intake etc.). Example, on a Mustang motor (stock 279hp) a Kenne Bell Mammoth can boost hp to 775 (+496hp) with no other power adders, just new internals and upgraded fuel & water pumps

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Amazing... well, anyone with a V10 will definitely have a supercar (that can handle on the track as well). I still think I'll stick to SC'ing the V8... plenty power

1 - 10 of 10 Posts