Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used search and can't seem to find a definitive answer on this.

I have noticed a squeal/sqeak at very low speed (and even push-rocking the car in my garage) that seems to come from suspension (can’t be sure if rear or front). It may be there all the time but obviously at higher speeds all you can hear is the engine :) Do you guys know what it is and if there is a fix?

Search indicated a "flipped" mag ride position sensor but I have also seen on other audi car postings a suspension bush issue!!

Car is at the dealer next week to have a look anyway but always useful to have first hand knowledge!

Cheers
Gary

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
The flipped mag ride position sensor was a problem about which I posted. It was more of a creaking noise than a squeaking noise. Has not recurred.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car had new pads and disks fitted last week. I wonder if that could be the source of the issue?

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
if you can produce it in your garage, by pushing on the car, and you can do it without the wheels rolling (at all! ie; brake on or blocked), then it's likely a suspension bushing; see KfabR8's recent post about his suspension joint failure (NO WAY am I suggesting THAT's what you have!)....just to get a look at a suspension joint coming apart.

there's 8 joints (3 for each "A" arm+2 for trailing link) between moving parts in each side's rear susp. (not counting springs or axle connections) and each one has to have some kind of bushing that may or may not be subject to needing lubirication, depening on the nature of the joint; front susp. more complicated as far as squeaks because there's steering added in (but no trailing link);

but if the wheels aren't moving at all and you can produce it by pushing down on the car, I'd vote for one of those suspension bushings

what you can do about it depends on how they're made and whether or not a squirt of pentrating lube can get in there or is a good idea! some bushing materials might not take kindly to certain lubricants;

but good old WATER is a great test lubricant, so see if it still squeaks in the garage after a drive in the wet; sometimes those things will squeak dry but not wet

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
if you can produce it in your garage, by pushing on the car, and you can do it without the wheels rolling (at all! ie; brake on or blocked), then it's likely a suspension bushing; see KfabR8's recent post about his suspension joint failure (NO WAY am I suggesting THAT's what you have!)....just to get a look at a suspension joint coming apart.

there's 8 joints (3 for each "A" arm+2 for trailing link) between moving parts in each side's rear susp. (not counting springs or axle connections) and each one has to have some kind of bushing that may or may not be subject to needing lubirication, depening on the nature of the joint; front susp. more complicated as far as squeaks because there's steering added in (but no trailing link);

but if the wheels aren't moving at all and you can produce it by pushing down on the car, I'd vote for one of those suspension bushings

what you can do about it depends on how they're made and whether or not a squirt of pentrating lube can get in there or is a good idea! some bushing materials might not take kindly to certain lubricants;

but good old WATER is a great test lubricant, so see if it still squeaks in the garage after a drive in the wet; sometimes those things will squeak dry but not wet
My position sensor problem had all of the symptoms of a bushing noise and that's what I thought it was ...Audi tech took quite a while to figure out the real cause.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
My position sensor problem had all of the symptoms of a bushing noise and that's what I thought it was ...Audi tech took quite a while to figure out the real cause.
interesting! is that the position sensor for the security system?

was going to ask you where it is located, but THAT info is probably
best NOT published on the web!! (no point making it any easier to haul one off!!):rolleyes:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to clarify. When I rocked the car in the garage I had to have the handbrake off so that the car would move slightly - ie rocking. With handbrake on and just trying to push down on the suspension did not result in the noise!!

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts

best NOT published on the web!! (no point making it any easier to haul one off!!):rolleyes:

I was guessing at a suspension ride height sensor but may well be wrong :)

·
Premium Member
888 Posts

It was the Mag Ride position sensor. It had "flipped" (I quote the tech) out of position and was rubbing on another part of the suspension so he repositioned it. A few weeks later it happened again so Audi replaced the sensor and mounting bracket. I noted from the Bentley manual that this then required a complete re-calibration of the mag ride and the head lamp leveling.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Just to clarify. When I rocked the car in the garage I had to have the handbrake off so that the car would move slightly - ie rocking. With handbrake on and just trying to push down on the suspension did not result in the noise!!
well that adds at least a few dozen more places to look, but probably moves suspension bushings way down the list

brakes could be it? dragging pad? sticky caliper? but the sound would be very different from the "squeak" of a bushing I would think

I am a great believer in torque-ing up one's lug nuts to factory spec (in the manual)

I have solved several nagging vibration and noise problems over 50 years in several different vehicles just by torque-ing up the lug nuts....probably NOT your problem but it's easy and who knows! once in awhile you find a loose one! they're probably the most commonly loosened/retightened load carrying bolts on your car (most of the suspension has some kind of "lock-tite" on its bolts) and they're readily accessible!

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
It was the Mag Ride position sensor. It had "flipped" (I quote the tech) out of position and was rubbing on another part of the suspension so he repositioned it. A few weeks later it happened again so Audi replaced the sensor and mounting bracket. I noted from the Bentley manual that this then required a complete re-calibration of the mag ride and the head lamp leveling.
Ahh! The infamous "accelerometer"! The Volvo "R" cars ('04-'06 version),
(probably not well known to this exotic oriented crowd, but interesting hi-tech performance cars in their own way) have a couple of them feeding input into their mag susp. control and traction distribution systems. Bad accelerometers are the cause of many inscrutable gremlins that can only be exorcised by replacement of the critter, even if it hasn't sent a "code."

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Maybe the infected part was attacked by MILLINEUM TERMITES. They are sometimes used to lighten brake rotors as well ! ;)

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Ahh! The infamous "accelerometer"! The Volvo "R" cars ('04-'06 version),
(probably not well known to this exotic oriented crowd, but interesting hi-tech performance cars in their own way) have a couple of them feeding input into their mag susp. control and traction distribution systems. Bad accelerometers are the cause of many inscrutable gremlins that can only be exorcised by replacement of the critter, even if it hasn't sent a "code."
There are four "level control system sensors" on cars with mag ride; one at each wheel. As far as I can tell, they are position sensors and not accelerometers.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well that adds at least a few dozen more places to look, but probably moves suspension bushings way down the list

brakes could be it? dragging pad? sticky caliper? but the sound would be very different from the "squeak" of a bushing I would think

I am a great believer in torque-ing up one's lug nuts to factory spec (in the manual)

I have solved several nagging vibration and noise problems over 50 years in several different vehicles just by torque-ing up the lug nuts....probably NOT your problem but it's easy and who knows! once in awhile you find a loose one! they're probably the most commonly loosened/retightened load carrying bolts on your car (most of the suspension has some kind of "lock-tite" on its bolts) and they're readily accessible!

Actually my description could be crap!! I think it is more a light whistling squeal - like a brake squeal !!! Hopefully a nice simple solution will come from Audi next week!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Maybe it is the handbrake itself. You may already know this but the handbrake doesn't work by applying the normal brake calipers ...there is an extra small caliper on each rear brake disk for the handbrake. Perhaps it is rubbing/dragging when it is disengaged?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts